OHM Scopesat V2 - The TelescopeMFD satellite

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: george7378

Scopesat V2 - the TelescopeMFD satellite.

This is version two of my previous SCOPESAT addon.

This version is designed to be launched with the Delta-glider IV, available here:

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=dgIV

You will also need TelescopeMFD, from here:

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2989

And Spacecraft3:

http://users.swing.be/vinka/

Keys:

K = Activate/Deactivate telescope
SHIFT + NUMPAD 1,2 or 3 = Move colour filters

To use the colour filters, I recommend pressing SHIFT + NUMPAD 1,2 and 3 as soon as you activate the telescope; this way, they are out of the way until you need them. When you do, you can press SHIFT + NUMPAD 1,2 or 3 to get the combination you want.

To store the telescope, press SHIFT + NUMPAD 3,2 then 1 to avoid the problem of filters passing through eachother. It's an expensive instrument - take care of it.

There are also two grappling points - one on top and one on the bottom. Use these for UMMUs when you need to inspect or move the telescope.

The telescope is designed with a slow-moving RCS to allow you to observe distant objects in high-magnification without fiddly movements.

If you have any questions you need to ask, then please visit the review thread on the forum.

Enjoy, George Kristiansen.

DOWNLOAD

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What filters are in use?

If they're the usual U, B, V, R, I and W, then using a combination of them is generally a bad idea...

Using two of these combined will usually block out almost all of the light...

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What filters are in use?

If they're the usual U, B, V, R, I and W, then using a combination of them is generally a bad idea...

Using two of these combined will usually block out almost all of the light...

I don't know much about solar filters, so I just included red, blue and green like a CCD imaging camera. They aren't supposed to be used together - one at once, maybe to get a stacked composite image, or to look at bright objects under different filters.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yea, they're supposed to be used one at a time... I just got the impression that that you can use al at once.

Here are filters from a 70 cm telescope in Slovenia - Telescope Vega:

Here's a graph of transparency (j out / j in) in relation with wavelength, ultraviolet (U), blue (B) and green (V) filters
UBV_fil01.gif

and red (R) and infrared (I)
RI_fil54.gif

As you can see, using certain filters in combination would pretty much kill all light coming from your object...

Last edited:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It would be good if there was a material which would allow you to see in the ultraviolet or X-ray spectrum when you lookd through it. It would also be good if DSOs and other objects were visible in Orbiter.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

I have just updated the addon, fixing a UMMU grappling problem in the DGIV payload config file.

The link is the same as the one above.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
See this as feedback for version II, I have the impression you are already an Ares V lighter now that it is released.

It would be good if there was a material which would allow you to see in the ultraviolet or X-ray spectrum when you lookd through it. It would also be good if DSOs and other objects were visible in Orbiter.

For that you would need special cameras, especially X-Ray requires special mirror optics, since X-Rays only reflect at low angles of incidence (because of the short wavelength).

also, it is not a good idea to put the filters at the opening, there they will get scratched by fine debris quickly. usually, telescopes have a sunshade door there, which they can use for protecting the sensible optics from debris and sunlight.

And you would always have stuff outside the MLI coating, like radiator surfaces, navigation sensors (like Star trackers and sun sensors), antennas (eg GPS, High-gain antenna, omni-directional low gain, etc). And the corners of the MLI would have small "bolts" to keep it attached. RCS is not needed (since there could be reaction wheels and such).

Look here for the navigational stuff... it is maybe an inspiration:

http://www.ballaerospace.com/page.jsp?page=104

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Looks like you didn't upload "Scopepanel.dds" with the addon

Mike9606

Reaction score
Great add on! I'm a fan of the first scopesat and I'm glad that ther is a v2 because scopesat and can't wait to see v3! Maybe it can have a camera abilkity to take pictures of what it sees.