Flight Question SCRAM Ascent in the Martian Atmosphere

Pioneer

Reaction score
I was watching an orbiter video on YouTube where an orbinaut launched his XR-5 from Olympus base and a question came to my mind. Is it possible with the amount of oxygen and atmospheric density on Mars to do a realistic SCRAM ascent?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
However... there is a small oversight in the programming of the XR family. Yes, SCRAM engines do work on Mars. However, it's not much of a boost, and it's not accurate.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
XR-2 SCRAM ascents aren't that "realistic" to begin with.

It may be possible to pull off in an XR but if it is, it's probably just an oversight. I tried the Olympus scenario that comes with the XR-2 and the strategy seems to be to prevent you from loading scram fuel on Mars to begin with.

It may be possible to have some sort of real life jet propulsion on Mars if you have a fuel that reacts (sufficiently exothermic) with carbon dioxide. Silane, might do it, but I'm not sure.

Pioneer

Reaction score
XR-2 SCRAM ascents aren't that "realistic" to begin with.
Are you talking about SCRAM ascents overall, such as from Earth too?

It may be possible to have some sort of real life jet propulsion on Mars if you have a fuel that reacts (sufficiently exothermic) with carbon dioxide. Silane, might do it, but I'm not sure.
That is a very intriguing concept :hmm:. Maybe someday such an engine will be built and tested in an atmospheric simulator here on earth.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I fear no chemical power source would work. I'm not much for Chemistry, but hydrocarbons are great when it comes to providing energy. They make CO2 and H2O, both molecules produce a lot of energy when being created and it doesn't take much to destroy hydrocarbons in the first place. It'll be tough to find a compound that would match the performance.

A NTR would work, though. Doesn't matter where the heat comes from, as long as it's heat.