Question SD card weirdness

Linguofreak

Reaction score
So tonight I flashed a 16 GiB microSD card with a raspbian image, and afterwards the card showed up in GParted as being exactly the size of the flashed image, rather than its full 16 GiB capacity. Looking for similar problems on Google, I found lots of people reporting the exact same behavior, but the suggested solutions seemed to mostly misunderstand the problem as either:

1) The filesystem on the card is too small, so the solution is to enlarge the filesystem in a partition editor.

or

2) It's a counterfeit card, the space was never there to begin with.

The problem with 1) is that the problem is not that the card is showing up in a file browser as only having a certain amount of free space, it's that it's only showing up in a *partition editor* as having as much space on the card as the last image that was flashed.

The problem with 2) is that I've flashed larger images to the card in the past without trouble.

Any idea what's going on here?

---------- Post added at 07:00 ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 ----------

Aaaaaaand I figured it out. At some point I dd'ed an image meant for the card without the card attached, and ended up with a regular file named "sdd" under /dev. Subsequent attempts to write to the card went to the file instead, and truncated it to the exact length of the image.

jearybayter

Reaction score
I think it was a counterfeit card , try getting a reliable sd card or relate-able products for data storage and management.