General Question setting up orbit

jprice

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a scenario where one craft will be on the ground at KSC, another orbiting mars, and another orbiting netptune.

My problem is, when I choose to have the craft to orbit another planet, it takes me to the sun instead.

I'm all new to programming orbiter, and maybe did a skin or two. How can you determine, how to code a craft in to orbit?

I thought typing "orbiting neptune" would do it, then a realized that I need to do some positioning of some kind.

help! :p

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Create all in orbit around earth, then open the scenario editor (should be actve in the modules tab before launching orbiter) and simply choose the planet you want for each vessels and their orbital elements. Then save the scenario and that's it!

jprice

Reaction score
scenario editor? I was using notepadd++ lol

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
scenario editor? I was using notepadd++ lol

2014-03-24_20-32-31_zps966dca0a.png~original

jprice

Reaction score
jus turned it on to after I read the first reply. will try it out.

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

I see one problem I did, the scn file I had didn't have our current solar system in it. It was the extended planets .scn

went ahead and added the other planets, now to see how it goes.

---------- UPDATE ----------

Ok, I got the "nearest systems" integrated with my current lineup of planets, but only the systems appear. not mars, or any other planets besides the sun, earth, moon and the systems.

is there a limit to how many planets/celestial bodies that we can load?

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Something is wrong with your install, by default orbiter comes with the 8 main planets and the sun.

jprice

Reaction score
it started working now, I had to eliminate some moons because I somehow didn't have the config for them. but I do get the default 8 planets now.

the scneditor doesn't let me choose by planet, but my mainly moons. I chose triton (example) then clicked "apply" and it didn't jump the ship over.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to click twice.

jprice

Reaction score
I did lol, I even clicked four times :p even repetitively