Launch News Shenzhou 9, Long March 2F, June 16, 2012 (mission updates)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well done China ! That Tiangong-1 module seems to have a nice habitable volume, and there is even more room beyond the curtains on the sides. :thumbup:

Of course the taikonauts seems to lack of confidence moving in 0G, but I'm sure they will learn quickly :)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Congratulations to the Chinese Space Program on the successful docking and ingress.:thumbup:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
If my calculations are correct, this is the fourth time in history that two space stations are simultaneously manned in Earth orbit! (the last three are in December 1998, May 1999 and May 2000, during the first three missions of the ISS and while Mir is still being manned) Hopefully the SZ-9 crew can enjoy their stay on-board the mini Chinese space station. :thumbup:

However today has an even bigger meaning: since during the last three times, only one space station has resident crews on board (the shuttle crews visiting the ISS are short construction flights), this means that today is the first time ever that two different space outposts are in active operation simultaneously! Definitely a big thing to celebrate about in the history of human presence in space. :cheers:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Of course the taikonauts seems to lack of confidence moving in 0G, but I'm sure they will learn quickly :)

I was thinking that too. Almost like they were trying to "walk" around. Then again, I'm sure it was most likely the work they had to do was easiest in that orientation.

I'm sure I'd be a flailing idiot if I was up there.

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
I was thinking that too. Almost like they were trying to "walk" around. Then again, I'm sure it was most likely the work they had to do was easiest in that orientation.

I personally believe this could be a part of some sort of mobility experiment. You have to understand that they have no prior experience with long-duration in microgravity environments, so perhaps they are testing methods in mobility using more "natural" earth-bound methods, and that perhaps explains the black foot loops on that brown, canvas-like material at the bottom of the video--I kept watching the videos, and it seems they have undergone some form of training to try and "catch" those loops with their feet as they traverse the interior of the Tiangong.

-RODION

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure we would push too hard with our legs and crash head-first in some electronic panel. :lol:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
For those who are wondering with what the crew is doing for their first day at the outpost, here's a news report (in Chinese, but the video should be understandable to all) on the last 24 hours:

They also managed to test out the communication equipment on board, and they received their first e-mail several hours ago.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A few news reports for the last two days (sorry, all in Chinese):

Astronauts have started their major work in space: biological experiments (using themselves as the target). TG-1 also made a maneuver yesterday to put SZ-9 ahead of TG-1:

The first live video communication session from TG-1:

The astronauts trying out the bicycle on board:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Some Chinese reporters got a chance to ask questions with the 3 Russian cosmonauts on the ISS the day after the launch at MCC-M (I believe it was a Russian media event), and the answers are, well, interesting... :hmm:

(http://v.ifeng.com/news/world/201206/d6cfac30)

Reporter: You might know that China has launched a manned spacecraft on the 16th, kicking off the second phase of the construction of the future Chinese space station. I would like to ask what's your opinion on China's recent developments in spaceflight?

Oleg Kononenko: You know that famous Soviet aerospace engineer Boris Chertok once said: "The Chinese would be one who would complete the next step (of advancements in spaceflight?).", and I happen to agree with that.

Reporter: Would you try to contact the Chinese astronauts?

Oleg Kononenko: It would be great if I can meet with the Chinese astronauts! During my first spaceflight in 2008, the Chinese launched Shenzhou 7 in September of that year and completed their first EVA. A year later I met the SZ-7 crew members in Korea, and I said to them it would be great if I could meet them in space.

It would be interesting to see what the other three on the ISS would say about this matter.... :uhh:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I would hope excitement over this historic event. And I still think the President should invite them to the White House. However, Of course they will convince him not to because it is an election year. :facepalm:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
More news reports from today (unfortunately it's in Chinese... :blahblah:)

Notice how Liu Yang tries to flip over in space! :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQX3jT6qVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQX3jT6qVg[/ame]

And here's a surprising report: the first ever manual attitude control of the Shenzhou spacecraft (along with Tiangong 1) was completed 6 hours ago, using the "joysticks" located in SZ-9's descent module. I thought something like this would have been attempted by Shenzhou 6.... :crystalball:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glc7t-2DTZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glc7t-2DTZM[/ame]

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I've managed to find English versions of some of the news clips, here are they:

http://english.cntv.cn/program/newshour/20120622/101964.shtml

http://english.cntv.cn/program/newsupdate/20120622/100172.shtml

http://english.cntv.cn/program/china24/20120622/103105.shtml

http://english.cntv.cn/program/newsupdate/20120623/100522.shtml

The three astronauts continue to perform medical experiments in orbit, including studies of weightlessness on human's sensory system(by measuring small movements of the eyes), performing checks on the amount of toxic gases inside the docked complex, taking blood samples to study the cells inside, and others. None of them are new in the history of human spaceflight, but the Chinese have got their first-hand experience in these experiments.

Tomorrow is a big day in the mission: the three astronauts will move back to Shenzhou 9 and undock from Tiangong 1 at around 04:00 UTC. The spacecraft will retreat to 140 meters behind the outpost, where flight engineer Liu Wang will take over control and will try to perform China's first try at a manual docking. This is a major objective of this flight, so it will be broadcast live on TV. Stay tuned at O-F for live updates!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Shenzhou 9 has undocked at 03:12 UTC and retreat 400 meters behind.

index.php

index.php

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Turns out that the Shenzhou have two joysticks, one for rotation and one for translation, so adapting from Orbiter should be easy. ;)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The docking was smooth and right on the bull's eye! :thumbup:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not getting any live video from #96 above, just a caption wiyh text?

N.