News Shoreham Airshow crash.

dseagrav

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yep, here comes the knee-jerk prohibitions to firmly slam the garage door after the barn door was found open and the horse escaped.

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
To misquote Top Gun - you fly fast jets for long enough and this happens. As dseagrav says, here comes the knee-jerks..

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What are they classifying as "vintage jets"?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Must be a media invented term, vintage and veteran apply to cars:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/veteran+car

The London to Brighton car run is an annual event for veteran and vintage models:
http://www.veterancarrun.com/

Brighton isn't far from Shoreham, and if I was being kind, I'd say some journalist has lumped the term into aircraft to make a connection. If I was being cynical I'd say it was the BBC being sloppy.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Reads like future air shows won't be like Shoreham at all, because of the security constraints and the demand to execute aerobatic maneuvers only above controlled terrain.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like it, I can't see the small airfields doing displays at all in the future.

Didn't know the UK had the smallest crowd distance from the display line. Thought we would have been in the furthest group

N.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Complacency indeed - CAP 1400 (the review linked in that BBC story) has a whole section on human factors beginning:

Over the years, there have been a number of fatal accidents involving highly experienced air display pilots, where extensive investigation has found no clear root cause beyond human error. While some argue that accidents – in any field – caused by human error are inevitable, the CAA believes that, with a better understanding of the impact of ‘human factors’, many such accidents could be avoided or recovered.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36743282

A stunt pilot, whose vintage jet crashed at the Shoreham Airshow killing 11 people, is being investigated for manslaughter, police have confirmed.

Former RAF pilot Andy Hill, 52, was interviewed under caution by police in December, after recovering from critical injuries in the August crash.

I don't know if this a unique case, but it will have serious implications for the airshow industry.

N.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
From the AAIB report.

The investigation identified the following causal factors in the accident:

The aircraft did not achieve sufficient height at the apex of the accident manoeuvre to complete it before impacting the ground because the combination of low entry speed and low engine thrust in the upward half of the manoeuvre was insufficient.

An escape manoeuvre was not carried out, despite the aircraft not achieving the required minimum apex height.

The following contributory factors were identified:

The pilot either did not perceive that an escape manoeuvre was necessary, or did not realise that one was possible at the speed achieved at the apex of the manoeuvre.

The pilot had not received formal training to escape from the accident manoeuvre in a Hunter and had not had his competence to do so assessed.

The pilot had not practised the technique for escaping from the accident manoeuvre in a Hunter, and did not know the minimum speed from which an escape manoeuvre could be carried out successfully.

A change of ground track during the manoeuvre positioned the aircraft further east than planned producing an exit track along the A27 dual carriageway.

The manoeuvre took place above an area occupied by the public over which the organisers of the flying display had no control.

The severity of the outcome was due to the absence of provisions to mitigate the effects of an aircraft crashing in an area outside the control of the organisers of the flying display.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
By the way - this business about the escape manoeuvre - basically abandon the loop, increase airspeed and roll to upright. It's true he never rehearsed or planned this and so was never "formally trained" in it, but the press will make this sound more meaningful than it is...

The more important part is paragraph 2.2.1.1 - he wasn't at the right speed or height even at the start of the loop. The press may jump on this escape maneuver comment though, because it sounds dramatic.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Must admit this "escape manoeuvre" is being used in a way new to me.
I know nothing about aerobatics, would think that if at any stage a pilot isn't happy with speed and altitude, they would know what to do about it?

I assume it must be common parlance in the display world or the AAIB wouldn't have used
it?

N.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The pilot had not received formal training to escape from the accident manoeuvre in a Hunter and had not had his competence to do so assessed.

Does that even exist? Is anyone trained to "escape" from a specific maneuver?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Exactly, it seems to have just arrived in this report.
Its odd use of English language, not colloquial. That's why I assume it must be used in Aerobatic training?

N.