Show your Texas pride!

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Hi y'all

As some of you already know, I'm from Texas, lived there my whole life. I thought it would be neat to have a thread where Texans (or people associated with Texas) could show a little Lone Star pride!

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
"Y'all can go to hell, but I'm going to Texas!"

-Davy Crockett

TexasFlag.jpg

Last edited:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
H-town 3 16s! Jk. I ain't from Texas.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Best beer from Texas, Shiner Bock.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
In Shiner, there's a Bocktober fest. By the way, my dad used to drink Shiner Bock all the time in San Antonio!

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
"God bless Texas!" -

(I wish I could still find something that wasn't live or line dancing :/ )

I'm not from there, but if I was to move, that's one of the first places I'd consider (others are Arizona or one of the eastern southern states like GA or NC or SC). :speakcool:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hook 'em Horns!

Apollo 11

Reaction score
When I was at UT in San Antone, there was a bar called Alamo Drafthouse. Great atmosphere. Had good pizza,too. LOL. I currently live in San Saba, which is were I was born. Interestingly enough, Tommy Lee Jones is also from there... I've been told I sound like him. But it ain't Texans who have an accent, the rest of the country tawks funny! I remember calling my college roomates to see about what they like to eat, since I was right there in Texas already. When I spoke, the laughed so hard. They thought my accent was the funniest thing.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Texas isn't pro-gun enough for me. Sorry, I'll pass.

Come to Utah... seems everyone in the United States comes here for a conceal carry permit.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Texas isn't pro-gun enough for me. Sorry, I'll pass.

Really? That's one of the reasons I always looked that way. The Castle laws (or whatever they call them), the car being an extension of your home, that hot-ish law maker that is totally pro-gun after seeing her parents brutally murdered by a nut-job in a restaruant - plus the pride the people have for the place, the warmth, and the good old no-nonsense souther/western attitude with everything.

Am I mistaken? Texas people, can you fill me in on the state of things?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

When I was at UT in San Antone, there was a bar called Alamo Drafthouse. Great atmosphere. Had good pizza,too. LOL. I currently live in San Saba, which is were I was born. Interestingly enough, Tommy Lee Jones is also from there... I've been told I sound like him. But it ain't Texans who have an accent, the rest of the country tawks funny! I remember calling my college roomates to see about what they like to eat, since I was right there in Texas already. When I spoke, the laughed so hard. They thought my accent was the funniest thing.

I've heard some study has claimed that people around Eerie PA are the only ones who don't have an accent of any kind. I can't provide a reference though, I heard it on the radio and can't remember how long ago. lol

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Well the movies have kinda played the Texas pysco thing, not really, but we do have a *pretty* leniant law system compared to most states. Then again, we do have the death penalty... Here in Texas, there is no law with long guns in a car, even in your pulled over. Essentially, the law states that it is a crime to carry a handgun "on or about your person." This law began in the 1870's as a Jim Crow statute intended only to be applied to black people. Over the intervening century, it has been interpreted, in my opinion, too broadly by the courts to include the passenger compartment of a car. Generally, your trunk is a safe place to carry, although I have seen one case here in San Saba when the local cops ran a guy in for a gun in his trunk. Not because it was a good case, but merely because they wanted to harass him. Always remember the old saying, "you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride."
But the law goes further and makes an exception for persons who are "traveling." Traveling, as it has been interpreted by the courts means, basically, going away from one's domicile, or residence, for an extended trip of some kind. There are no exact definitions or parameters. This is what is wrong with the law; it is too vague and subject to abuse by police and prosecutors.
Even if one is truly traveling, you can still go to jail. Say for example, you have a car loaded up with all your belongings and are driving from Austin to Dallas on I35. A cop pulls you over in Temple and he either searches and finds the gun, or you tell him you have one, (which you don't have to do; nor do you have to consent to a search). But for whatever reason, he finds out you have a gun.
How does he know you are truly "traveling?" Often times, he will be an ass and say, "It's not for me to decide. Tell your story to the judge." And he runs you in anyway; knowing full well that you will have to spend a couple of grand to get out of the mess, because you were, in fact, traveling. It's not a good situation for gun owners; we are always facing legal risks when we have guns in our possession. We need to change the law. But it is the law as of this writing
In a recent case before the Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas, a narrow majority (5 to 4) upheld this current state of affairs. The four judges who dissented wanted to fix the problem by giving the word "traveling" its commonly understood, dictionary meaning; which would mean "traveling" anywhere, anytime, even just across town. We need to elect some good judges to that court and get another case up on appeal so that this area of the law can be improved. Either that, or get more strong pro-gun legislators elected to get the law amended. With handhelds,

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Really? That's one of the reasons I always looked that way. The Castle laws (or whatever they call them), the car being an extension of your home, that hot-ish law maker that is totally pro-gun after seeing her parents brutally murdered by a nut-job in a restaruant - plus the pride the people have for the place, the warmth, and the good old no-nonsense souther/western attitude with everything.

Am I mistaken? Texas people, can you fill me in on the state of things?

I just like to pick on Texans because in Virginia or Pennsylvania I can walk down the street with an openly visible pistol in a holster, and they can't. Heck, I don't even need a permit in Virginia. :p

Someday, TX will catch up. Hopefully all the states will.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Come to Utah... seems everyone in the United States comes here for a conceal carry permit.

The 2nd Amendment is my concealed weapons permit! But Andy, what part of Texas are you talking about? It's not like that in Houston.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Well, it must have changed. Every time I'm there, which is usually every Thanksgiving, it has been open carry (except for the Mexicans ;)!).

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I've heard some study has claimed that people around Eerie PA are the only ones who don't have an accent of any kind. I can't provide a reference though, I heard it on the radio and can't remember how long ago. lol

:lol:

Generally, what you hear a lot of growing up is what you will consider to be "unaccented". Since speech differences are fairly minor across the US (compared to most of Europe, where there's a new dialect every 20 miles or so), the region over which a person will be considered "accentless" is generally quite broad. There is probably some region in the US in which a greater percentage of the people will be considered to have no accent by most of the country than other regions, and that could be considered to be an "accentless" region (although there's really no such thing), but if that survey said that region is in Pennsylvania, it might be a bit out of date. At one time the east coast was the region that a lot of TV and radio broadcasters came from, because that region had a fair bit of prestige and was also considered to have a fairly neutral accent, but since then the "broadcast dialect" has moved more towards the Midwest, and Hollywood is even pushing it a bit towards the west coast. (There's kind of a two way street here: Broadcast corporations want anchors who are percieved to have rather neutral (or at least prestigious) accents, so they tend to go for what the general public sees as accentless. But they also influence the public perception of accent, because the more you hear an accent (especially in youth), the less likely you are to consider it an accent, and people who watch alot of TV will hear alot of "broadcast English"). Currently the accent considered to be the standard in the US is called "General American," and the region that speaks it is centered on southern Iowa.

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Texas even has multiple dialects, Eastern and Central Texas, Southern Texas, and Western Texas. The Eastern and Central dialect is what most people think of when they think of a Texas accent. There's alot of culture in Texas, and the accent is a mixing pot. I should record myself sometime... haha. On another note, I've seen holstered guns in El Paso, not much law enforcement out there other than border patrol. However, in urban cities like Houston or Dallas/Ft. Worth, you'll almost never see a conceled weapon. For more information, see my above post.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
However, in urban cities like Houston or Dallas/Ft. Worth, you'll almost never see a conceled weapon. For more information, see my above post.
Isn't the point of a concealed weapon that you "almost never" see it? Kind of defeats the purpose if you can see it...