General Question Shuttle Addon Question

DLRK

Reaction score
Looking online, I see two available shuttle addons, ShuttleFleet and Space Shuttle Ultra.

Which one is recommended, and are either in active development?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Shuttle Fleet 4.8 is what I think a majority of use use (no proof, just conjecture). I've not messed around with SSU, but it is a continuing work in progress.

Shuttle Fleet is simple enough to use, but there is a need to read the manual every now and again to remember keystroke commands.

SSU is more checklist and detail oriented. Take a look through the dev thread and you can follow along on the discussions.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8608&highlight=SSU
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8528&highlight=SSU

It comes down to a question of how realistic do you want it? The 'Fleet is pretty nice, it's well polished and well documented.

I'll have to let some of the others chime in on SSU.

Cheers! And welcome to the forum!

DLRK

Reaction score
Phantom,

Thanks. I installed SF4.8, after an extensive search, and then was able to instal the required UMMU2 after another extensive search. The Shuttle cockpit appears to be identical to the default, however. Am I doing something wrong?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Right, the fleet's cockpit is somewhat generic, if you want "clicky switches" SSU might be up your alley. Or moach's G-42 http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=24510&highlight=moach

As for UMMU, it's available here http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d

It's part of the DeltaGliderIV-3, and before you fret about it being "temporary" fear not. Dan's idea of "polished" is anybody else's "immaculate". It works A-OK. Actually while your there you should go ahead and get the Cars and Cargo. And many people will agree the Orbiter Sound is high on the list of "must-have" mods.

Actually that's true of all of Dan's mods...

DLRK

Reaction score
Thanks. Found UMMU, was a bit confused about the "it's only for 2006, but it works with 2010" thing.

Looks like SSU is my thing, but I'm a bit confused with install process. Are there any precompiled modules available?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Can't help you there dude. Check the threads I mentioned above.

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like SSU is my thing, but I'm a bit confused with install process. Are there any precompiled modules available?

I don't think that there are any precompiled modules right now. See this and this to get an idea on how to install SSU. If you still have problems after checking those treads, I can send you my modules.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Right now, Shuttle Fleet is really the only option. SSU is far from complete, and really no one should try to fly it unless they are trying to bug hunt or assist in its development somehow.

Shuttle Fleet and the use of certain MFDs you will be able to closely mimic realistically flying the Shuttle.

Use IMFD to do all your burns, dont use a throttle or the numpad to burn OMS pods, because in the Shuttle you could not just punch a throttle.

Use Pursuit MFD to keep the orbiter under constant attitude control and to keep it in the proper attitudes for the various phases of flight.

Use Sync MFD and the rendezvous script with the Terminal MFD to do realistic rendezvous.

Use RPOP MFD that comes with SF for proximity ops and to do things like the TORVA.

and use the heck out of GPC MFD and all it has to offer. It has 1 of the launch screens, it has both essential Deorbit screens, it has the MPS/OMS screen, SPI, a screen that simulates PLB door opening, a table for setting present arm motions that can be called up in the PDRS screen.

And it has AutoFCS which you can use for automatic control of deorbit from the burn down to Mach 2, where you can turn off the control axis and leave on the Flight Director and fly it by hand down to the runway just like real shuttle pilots did.

SSU has APUs. SF does not simulate the APUs. Or any consumables. And you cannot destroy the vehicle. So you will need to impose those limitations on yourself.

DLRK

Reaction score
Cras,

Thanks for the help. How do I access the various MFDs in the shuttle? I have them activated in Modules.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Malisle,

I do want to try SSU. I'm unable to find the Platform SDK folder, is the any chance you could send me your modules?

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You press and hold the PG button to bring up the menu, and then you select from there. Unlike standard Orbiter vessels with the MFD buttons on the side, the Shuttle VC mimics the real life Shuttle screens in putting those buttons on the bottom.