Reaction score
Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
For anybody who wants to start reading the tutorial, here the first version: https://github.com/indy91/Shuttle-FDO-MFD/blob/master/Doc/Shuttle FDO MFD/ShuttleFDOMFD.pdf

Currently it covers the pre OMS-2 planning and the specific procedures for OMS-2 and NC-1. I'll make a proper release once the tutorial is done. I'm flying the mission again as I write the tutorial, so it takes a bit of time.

I finished reading the original version just a few minutes ago... looks like there are a few more pages hot off the press. :thumbup: Thanks!

Tim13

Reaction score
“We chose to go to the ISS not because it’s easy but because it’s hard” :lol:

:lol: No doubt!

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-06-19 at 04:46 PM ----------

I finished reading the original version just a few minutes ago... looks like there are a few more pages hot off the press. :thumbup: Thanks!

I just took a look at it. Fantastic work!!!

I learned more about shuttle orbital ops, and rendezvous planning in those few paragraphs, than I have in years of reading NASA documents, and trying to piece meal it all together.

It's like a good novel....I can't wait for the next chapter! Hahahahaha.

Tim

Tim13

Reaction score
Just for fun, I grabbed the STS-126 FDO-TEST scenario, and couldn't get it to load. Here is my orbiter log file if interested.

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    5.1 KB · Views: 153

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just for fun, I grabbed the STS-126 FDO-TEST scenario, and couldn't get it to load. Here is my orbiter log file if interested.
Code:
000000.000: >>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
============================ ERROR: ===========================
SSU_LC39
[Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 243]
===============================================================

What version of SSU are you running? That scenario, needs the (future) version 5.0.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The scenario is identical with the one that comes with SSU, just with a modified ISS state vector. The problem is probably the way you downloaded the file from Github, that has caused me CTDs before. The file as it is saved on Github also has a bunch of git specific stuff in it, so you need to download the raw text file:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/i.../Testing scenarios/STS-126 - FDO MFD Test.scn

I'm on flight day 2 of the mission right now, so the full rendezvous tutorial will be done in the next few days.

EDIT: Either that or what GLS said. :lol:

Tim13

Reaction score
Code:
000000.000: >>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
============================ ERROR: ===========================
SSU_LC39
[Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 243]
===============================================================

What version of SSU are you running? That scenario, needs the (future) version 5.0.

Yes, I'm using version 5.0

Tim

Tim13

Reaction score
I tried the scenario posted above, and no joy....same loading error.

I then tried the stock STS-126 that is in my SSU Scenario folder, and it worked, but gave a RInc of almost 2 degrees.

So, I used my stock STS-126 scenario, and put in the GitHub scenarios ISS state vectors, and this was how my launch proceeded. The picture was taken less than a minute after MECO.

Attachments

• ststest.JPG
    ststest.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 161

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, I'm using version 5.0

Tim
Are you sure you're using the latest revision? It could be that you're using an older, outdated revision that predates the creation of the SSU_LC39 files. You can check by right-clicking on the Orbiter root folder and selecting Properties and going to the Subversion tab. Last changed revision should say 2957.

Tim13

Reaction score
Are you sure you're using the latest revision? It could be that you're using an older, outdated revision that predates the creation of the SSU_LC39 files. You can check by right-clicking on the Orbiter root folder and selecting Properties and going to the Subversion tab. Last changed revision should say 2957.

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I should have included that in my post. I am using an older version. It's stable, and does what I need it to do for now.

Honestly, with my lack of experience using MS Visual Basic, and the SVN process, I'm just afraid to touch it at this point. If you recall, it literally took me 3 days to get this working version up and running. I just don't want to rock the boat so to speak.

Tim

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you sure you have fuel ?

Tim13

Reaction score
Are you sure you have fuel ?

Yup. See a couple posts up for a screen shot about a minute after MECO, using the STS-126 scenario that came with the version I compiled, but with the updated ISS state vectors.

Tim

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Sorry, I should have included that in my post. I am using an older version. It's stable, and does what I need it to do for now.

Honestly, with my lack of experience using MS Visual Basic, and the SVN process, I'm just afraid to touch it at this point. If you recall, it literally took me 3 days to get this working version up and running. I just don't want to rock the boat so to speak.

Tim
Updating is easy, just right-click on the Orbiter folder and select SVN Update. Then fire up Visual Studio, open the Atlantis_2017.sln file and just press F7 to compile whichever projects that were updated. That's it. If you get any errors, just post them here.

Tim13

Reaction score
Updating is easy, just right-click on the Orbiter folder and select SVN Update. Then fire up Visual Studio, open the Atlantis_2017.sln file and just press F7 to compile whichever projects that were updated. That's it. If you get any errors, just post them here.

Don't tempt me sir. It's been bugging me that it's "out of date", but I know it's just asking for trouble :rofl: ;) :hmm:

Tim

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Next release is out: https://github.com/indy91/Shuttle-FDO-MFD/releases/tag/0.1.7-alpha

-Added scrolling buttons on constraints and evaluation pages, for the case the maneuver plan has more than 8 or 9 maneuvers in it respectively.
-Added a full walkthrough of a rendezvous to the manual, with an example scenario for STS-126, including scenario file

Tim13

Reaction score

Oh Dave....why did I fall for your siren song. I now have a non-working SSU. :lol:

BTW....F7 did nothing. I used the build function to update.

My install is Subversion 2973. Here is my log....

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    11.1 KB · Views: 150
  • errors.JPG
    errors.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh Dave....why did I fall for your siren song. I now have a non-working SSU. :lol:

BTW....F7 did nothing. I used the build function to update.

My install is Subversion 2973. Here is my log....
What version of Visual Studio/C++ are you using? You should be using Visual Studio Community which I have linked to in the tutorial thread I created. For now, try Ctrl-Alt-F7 as this will force a complete rebuild of the solution.

This can sometimes resolve certain errors that are caused by incompatible cached pre-build files that are generated every time you build a project. The reason for these cached pre-build files is to speed up compile times by only compiling changed code.

Tim13

Reaction score
What version of Visual Studio/C++ are you using? You should be using Visual Studio Community which I have linked to in the tutorial thread I created. For now, try Ctrl-Alt-F7 as this will force a complete rebuild of the solution.

This can sometimes resolve certain errors that are caused by incompatible cached pre-build files that are generated every time you build a project. The reason for these cached pre-build files is to speed up compile times by only compiling changed code.

I'm using Visual Studio Community 2017 updated to the latest version.

I'm kind of stumped on the CTRL-ALT-F7 part.

With that said, I went under the "build" tab in VB, and selected the complete build option (I think that's what it's called, I'm now at work...), and re-compiled it. This time I still have a few "red check marks" next to folders in my installation, but the included STS-126 launch scenario now works without crashing, as does the FDO MFD test scenario that 's based on the included STS-126 launch scenario.

So, in a nutshell, it's working, and this will be my final, and last update to SSU v5.0...:rofl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I have a current-ish state v5.0 that's working, I have a question. The "APU Running" sound is quite repetitive, and annoying. Even after shutting down the APU, it kept playing. Is there a cooldown period for the APU's before they turn off after you go through the shut down process?

I'm thinking of just running the sound file through Audacity, and reducing it's volume to a very low background sound.

Tim

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm using Visual Studio Community 2017 updated to the latest version.

I'm kind of stumped on the CTRL-ALT-F7 part.

With that said, I went under the "build" tab in VB, and selected the complete build option (I think that's what it's called, I'm now at work...), and re-compiled it. This time I still have a few "red check marks" next to folders in my installation, but the included STS-126 launch scenario now works without crashing, as does the FDO MFD test scenario that 's based on the included STS-126 launch scenario.

So, in a nutshell, it's working, and this will be my final, and last update to SSU v5.0...:rofl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I have a current-ish state v5.0 that's working, I have a question. The "APU Running" sound is quite repetitive, and annoying. Even after shutting down the APU, it kept playing. Is there a cooldown period for the APU's before they turn off after you go through the shut down process?

I'm thinking of just running the sound file through Audacity, and reducing it's volume to a very low background sound.

Tim

Glad to know you got SSU working again. The APU sound is an issue I also have reported but I don’t know if the devs had a look at it..
For sure when the APUs are shutdown the sound should stop. One thing you can do is saving the scenario, quit Orbiter and the restart the scenario: this should get rid of the sound.