Shuttle FDO MFD

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Doing another run (just finished OMS-2) and now that I know what everything in the displays means I noticed that the range value in the MET is "the shortest way around the Earth", and so with a phase of -90 (i.e. target behind) will give a smaller range than phase +/-180.
It makes sense the way it is, because you could rendezvous from above and so that would be the correct range... I guess I'm questioning this because the vast majority of rendezvous where from below... :shrug:
In the end it doesn't really matter as it will be a huge, and for practical purposes meaningless, number.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Glad to know you got SSU working again. The APU sound is an issue I also have reported but I don’t know if the devs had a look at it..
For sure when the APUs are shutdown the sound should stop. One thing you can do is saving the scenario, quit Orbiter and the restart the scenario: this should get rid of the sound.

Created a ticket for this so it isn't forgotten. Please post any aditional info in the dev thread so this thread isn't hijacked.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Doing another run (just finished OMS-2) and now that I know what everything in the displays means I noticed that the range value in the MET is "the shortest way around the Earth", and so with a phase of -90 (i.e. target behind) will give a smaller range than phase +/-180.
It makes sense the way it is, because you could rendezvous from above and so that would be the correct range... I guess I'm questioning this because the vast majority of rendezvous where from below... :shrug:
In the end it doesn't really matter as it will be a huge, and for practical purposes meaningless, number.

I think the RANGE value is supposed to be the absolute distance between chaser and vehicle, not downrange. So simply the length of the difference between their position vectors. One example from the FDO Console Handbook, for range and phase:

OMS-2: 1787.8215 NM / 28.6229°
NC-1: 174.6647 NM / -2.3278°
NC-2: 6716.3653 NM / -137.1284°
NPC: 7172.5519 NM / -170.3282°
NC-3: 6959.0116 NM / 149.1586°
NH: 254.1720 NM / 3.7740°

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well, there's half of my Saturday gone... :shifty:
But I got to the ISS again! This time there wasn't as much "off-road" as last week. Didn't bother with the manual until I deleted NC-2 without saving the times for NC-3, NC-4, etc. To recover that I added a NC-2B burn and tried to place it such that it didn't have much dV (so I could ignore it), but I could the times for the following burns.
1 day later I had to pull NC-3 back 1 orbit, as I was going to overshoot the ISS.
Then I needed the manual, as TI was kinda overloaded, so I followed the procedure to do a NCC burn, and that made TI much more lighter. MC-4 at about 3600ft and then manual to PMA-2.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1 day later I had to pull NC-3 back 1 orbit, as I was going to overshoot the ISS.

Is NC-3 in your case the NC burn one orbit before TI or is it the NH type burn? Any idea why you had to pull it to so much earlier? On this STS-126 test flight for the tutorial I had roughly one full day between NC-2 (last real phasing maneuver) and NC-4 (the maneuver one orbit before TI) and no other maneuvers for phasing in between. And even with so much time in between I only got a downrange error at NC-4 of 1-2 NM (difference to the desired 40 NM), so all I had to do was move the NH burn by about 10 seconds. Could be drag or less than perfect burn execution. You are using the TIGs from the DMT for the actual burn execution, right?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Is NC-3 in your case the NC burn one orbit before TI or is it the NH type burn? Any idea why you had to pull it to so much earlier? On this STS-126 test flight for the tutorial I had roughly one full day between NC-2 (last real phasing maneuver) and NC-4 (the maneuver one orbit before TI) and no other maneuvers for phasing in between. And even with so much time in between I only got a downrange error at NC-4 of 1-2 NM (difference to the desired 40 NM), so all I had to do was move the NH burn by about 10 seconds. Could be drag or less than perfect burn execution. You are using the TIGs from the DMT for the actual burn execution, right?

It was NH. I used the STS-126 scenario posted in the 1º post, and disabled non-spherical gravity in the MFD, but I still have it on in Orbiter... could be that. :shrug:
Also, I'm sure my error in not saving the times for the burns post-NPC did not help... :facepalm:

Tim13

Reaction score
So, I've read through the very good, and educational FDO manual several times.

I had a little time today, and decided I was ready to give it a go. Nothing crazy, just a launch, then set up the OMS-2 burn, and execute it.

Since it was my first time trying to use FDO correctly, I barely made the OMS-2 TIG....LOL. And, that was with a couple of times slowing the sim rate to 0.1x. By the time you launch...8.3 minutes or so, and then the additional 2 minutes of MPS dumping, you're left with about 20 minutes to get the burns squared away in the FDO MFD, and programmed into the shuttles computer. The remaining 6 minutes or so is left for the shuttle to reposition itself for the burn.

Everything went as planned, and I'm sure future OMS-2 burns will be less chaotic on my part, as I'll be more familiar. The walk through is very, very helpful! So much appreciated.

Tim

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, I've read through the very good, and educational FDO manual several times.

I had a little time today, and decided I was ready to give it a go. Nothing crazy, just a launch, then set up the OMS-2 burn, and execute it.

Since it was my first time trying to use FDO correctly, I barely made the OMS-2 TIG....LOL. And, that was with a couple of times slowing the sim rate to 0.1x. By the time you launch...8.3 minutes or so, and then the additional 2 minutes of MPS dumping, you're left with about 20 minutes to get the burns squared away in the FDO MFD, and programmed into the shuttles computer. The remaining 6 minutes or so is left for the shuttle to reposition itself for the burn.

Everything went as planned, and I'm sure future OMS-2 burns will be less chaotic on my part, as I'll be more familiar. The walk through is very, very helpful! So much appreciated.

Tim
I'd recommend you focus on the OMS-2 burn. Don't be hyper accurate with it as OMS-2 isn't really an rendezvous burn per-se but an orbital insertion burn. NC-1 is used to mop up the errors from OMS-2.

The real FDO/TRAJ guys knew that the crew was going to be really busy in the ascent time-frame, so the NC-1 burn was designed to catch the OMS-2 burn errors. They also had to be ready to support possible abort situations (mainly ATO and AOA, the AOA window didn't end until orbit 6, some 9 hours MET when EDW moved out of range)

Tim13

Reaction score
I'd recommend you focus on the OMS-2 burn. Don't be hyper accurate with it as OMS-2 isn't really an rendezvous burn per-se but an orbital insertion burn. NC-1 is used to mop up the errors from OMS-2.

The real FDO/TRAJ guys knew that the crew was going to be really busy in the ascent time-frame, so the NC-1 burn was designed to catch the OMS-2 burn errors. They also had to be ready to support possible abort situations (mainly ATO and AOA, the AOA window didn't end until orbit 6, some 9 hours MET when EDW moved out of range)

In real life, I completely agree with focusing on the OMS-2 burn, and letting others worry about calculating it for the crew.

But as in any type of simulator, flight, space, or otherwise, we are often tasked with doing the jobs of two, three, or a hundred other people. If a precise OMS-2 burn will save grief and propellant later on down the line, then it's worth the effort. It was the first time, so subsequent incorporation of the FDO MFD in the OMS-2 planning and execution will become less hectic I'm sure.

Tim

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In real life, I completely agree with focusing on the OMS-2 burn, and letting others worry about calculating it for the crew.

But as in any type of simulator, flight, space, or otherwise, we are often tasked with doing the jobs of two, three, or a hundred other people. If a precise OMS-2 burn will save grief and propellant later on down the line, then it's worth the effort. It was the first time, so subsequent incorporation of the FDO MFD in the OMS-2 planning and execution will become less hectic I'm sure.

Tim
Another thing is that we currently do not support I-LOADS of any kind. In reality, all the ascent burn targets (OMS-1/2/ATO/AOA) were pre-loaded into the software.

There wasn't any need for the crew to enter anything but ITEM 22/23/27. The XXX MNVR EXEC screens were not devoid of any data like we have them. Usually the crews only updated the OMS-2 TIG and left everything else as is.
Another important detail was the ability for MCC to uplink data to the GPCs, another thing we don't have. It would be nice if this MFD could transfer the calculated PADs into our GPCs. I don't see that happening unless someone comes up with an interface for our GPCs to "talk" to external tools.

Tim13

Reaction score
Another thing is that we currently do not support I-LOADS of any kind. In reality, all the ascent burn targets (OMS-1/2/ATO/AOA) were pre-loaded into the software.

There wasn't any need for the crew to enter anything but ITEM 22/23/27. The XXX MNVR EXEC screens were not devoid of any data like we have them. Usually the crews only updated the OMS-2 TIG and left everything else as is.
Another important detail was the ability for MCC to uplink data to the GPCs, another thing we don't have. It would be nice if this MFD could transfer the calculated PADs into our GPCs. I don't see that happening unless someone comes up with an interface for our GPCs to "talk" to external tools.

Yeah, the ability to transfer the FDO data directly to the GPC's would be cool.

I will admit though, I am enjoying the hands on part of trying to get the plan to work out. It's a good brain exercise, and at my age, I need to keep as many neuronal pathways viable as I can....Hahahahaha.

Tim

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'v used the same approach as Tim to come up with the initial plan for a new mission. Time acceleration to 0.1x pre OMS-2 and then just added maneuvers and tweaked the plan until I liked it. Then I usually reloaded Orbiter to catch up the lost time and just ran the saved, final rendezvous plan to generate the maneuver data.

In reality the FDO and his team will have prepared multiple plans for different points in a launch window and ran it with predicted pre OMS-2 state vectors. So they will have gone into this very prepared, so that even in the rare case that OMS-2 is a phasing maneuver they will not have too much time pressure. FDO handbook suggests to already have a plan ready with a fixed TIG (primary threshold T) for NC-1, so that OMS-2 can be quickly deleted and you can run the plan without further editing. I guess that is for the normal case where OMS-2 is just a height maneuver, so the OMP doesn't play much of a role there.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Finally I had some time to practice with FDO MFD. First I ran the STS-126 following the tutorial and since the mission ran quite ok I decided to try with my own STS-114 scenario.
I used the same initial plan as for STS-126 with some tweaking, Non spherical OFF and ISS TLE updated for launch date and time; at MECO I had a RInc of 0.1 (which in turns meant an NPC DV of around 43 fps, too much maybe). Apart from that all the phasing was flawless (maybe I just got lucky). Only changes I made were to keep the Ti constraints reasonable (DVZ below 1 fps and light constraint at SS -37'). I used SPEC34 for the onboard computed burns (the MC burn DVs were so small that burn was not even necessary, excpet a small MC-3 one)
I made it at the RBar pretty much on schedule!

Indy this an awesome addon, not an easy one to use but man what a great tool for rendezvous!
Thank you :thumbup:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great to see people finally having some success with the MFD, haha. Let me know what I can do to make it more user friendly, I am sure I can improve it in that regard. But I definitely want the MFD to stay very close to how the Orbital Maneuver Processor worked, so there is only so many changes I can do. I guess in the end the FDOs preferred tools that give lots of options, even if that makes it more complicated. Even I have some trouble sometimes setting up a rendezvous plan that works well. The plans are only as good as the user who sets it up, and flight controllers are pretty smart!

The next update will be an improvement to the NPC burn targeting with non-spherical gravity. Right now those NPC maneuvers are often the cause of a "too many iterations" message and they they aren't as accurate as they should be (up to 3 fps of DVY component at TI). But I think I finally figured out how to improve that. Test flying that improvement right now with STS-82, because it has an interesting rendezvous profile:

978-1-4614-0983-0_12_Fig23_HTML.jpg

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Great to see people finally having some success with the MFD, haha. Let me know what I can do to make it more user friendly, I am sure I can improve it in that regard. But I definitely want the MFD to stay very close to how the Orbital Maneuver Processor worked, so there is only so many changes I can do. I guess in the end the FDOs preferred tools that give lots of options, even if that makes it more complicated. Even I have some trouble sometimes setting up a rendezvous plan that works well. The plans are only as good as the user who sets it up, and flight controllers are pretty smart!

Thanks for your efforts Indy. Here are my first impressions: the greatest issue for me is to know what to do and when to do it.

In my STS-114 attempt I pretty much followed the steps you highlighted in the STS-126 walkthrough, basically I took my STS-114 plan with the following changes: OMS-2 target PeA was changed to match the real mission one, NC-2 and NC-4 TIGs were changed in order to meet the Ti constraints, unlike your STS-126 no burns were cancelled from the original plan and last I executed the onboard targeted maneuvers directly with SSU with SPEC34.

In the end I made it to the ISS pretty much on schedule but without the suggestions in your walkthrough I doubt my mission would have ended the same way..
I wonder wether your STS-126 walkthrough can be used as general guideline for all missions or I just got lucky that it worked ok this time for my STS-114

Tim13

Reaction score
What exactly does the message "too many iterations" mean? What fires it? What is the best way to clear it either temporarily in a plan, or permanently in a plan?

I know those are generic questions, so I understand if you can't answer them with a specific situation to reference.

Tim

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

and last I executed the onboard targeted maneuvers directly with SSU with SPEC34.

I wonder wether your STS-126 walkthrough can be used as general guideline for all missions or I just got lucky that it worked ok this time for my STS-114

@Wolf: I'd love for you to post a little mini walk through on how you programmed the SSU with SPEC34. Even just screen shots with the plan numbers, and how they are filled in on SPEC34 would be a huge help to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

@Indy91: On thing I'm not 100% clear on. At the end when you do the MC burns post Ti, does the FDO calculate the TIG's, or do those come from the actual NASA flight plan? Is there a way to calculate them for any launch where you don't have a NASA flight plan to guide the final rendezvous?

Tim

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts Indy. Here are my first impressions: the greatest issue for me is to know what to do and when to do it.

In my STS-114 attempt I pretty much followed the steps you highlighted in the STS-126 walkthrough, basically I took my STS-114 plan with the following changes: OMS-2 target PeA was changed to match the real mission one, NC-2 and NC-4 TIGs were changed in order to meet the Ti constraints, unlike your STS-126 no burns were cancelled from the original plan and last I executed the onboard targeted maneuvers directly with SSU with SPEC34.

In the end I made it to the ISS pretty much on schedule but without the suggestions in your walkthrough I doubt my mission would have ended the same way..

I do think that it applies to most Shuttle rendezvous, at least with the ISS. There are definitely variations, some of them mission specific, and I haven't encountered all of them or had great results yet with all of them. Some missions will have the NH type maneuver on flight day 2, with a NH maneuver on FD3 that is a 0 fps placeholder maneuver. You definitely have to check each mission individually how the rendezvous was done. But usually you will get to your target with the techniques from the STS-126 example.

What exactly does the message "too many iterations" mean? What fires it? What is the best way to clear it either temporarily in a plan, or permanently in a plan?

I know those are generic questions, so I understand if you can't answer them with a specific situation to reference.

Tim

The three types of iterators in the MFD (NC, NH and NPC maneuver) can cause that message. Why it happens needs some explanation of how the iteration works and some orbital mechanics.

In the case of the NC and NH maneuver the maneuver are always horizontally (only DVX component) and they start with an assumption of 0 fps, or if a secondary constraint of the type DV was used, it starts with that DV. Then it predicts the trajectory of the full plan until the time of the secondary constraint (e.g. coasting along from NC-1 to NC-4, which has a DR constraint of -40 NM). There it checks the actual downrange distance and saves it. On the next cycle it will do the same again, but with a DV modified by 1 fps. With that it starts the proper iteration using Newton's method, until the downrange error is below a certain threshold (currently 5 meters).

Now the orbital mechanics part. Let's look at the NH maneuver. It can only properly adjust a delta height, if it is close to 180° from the point where the secondary constraint is applied. That's why e.g. NC-4 is 0.5 orbits (M = 0.5) after the NH maneuver. That is the ideal case. If the NH maneuver is much earlier then it still should be 180° plus several full orbits from the constraint (basically M = 1.5, M = 2.5 etc.) If that isn't the case then the iteration of the NH maneuver already has some issues. Also, the maneuver works best if it happens at an apsis, so either apoapsis or periapsis, or else it doesn't just adjust height, but also rotates the line of apsides, which is bad for the iteration. It would change the shape of the orbit and while it might find the right DH you will probably get an orbit which was changed to the worse over all. And it's of course not very DV optimal, not close to a Hohmann transfer.

The NC iteration usually doesn't have much trouble converging, but if there are maneuvers in between the NC maneuver and the maneuver where the DR constraint is applied, then those have the potential of throwing the iteration off as well.

Now to the NPC maneuver. I'll just talk about the spherical gravity case; as I said above the non-spherical gravity logic for it can cause issues and will be updated in the next release. The NPC maneuver, when it is set at a Common Node (CN secondary constraint), will not have fixed TIG, but will be located somewhere after the threshold time. So if all the previous maneuvers (e.g. OMS-2, NC-1 etc.) were all located neatly on a maneuver line, at apoapsis or periapsis, then the final NPC TIG will not be on such a line. So the maneuver after the NPC maneuver will initially need some constraint, that puts it back on the line of apsides or the relative line of apsides with the target. That constraint can be APO, PER or APS. Later on the TIG of that maneuver will be fixed and it's not a problem anymore, but e.g. a simple "M = 8.0" for the maneuver after NPC is not enough.

So it does require a bit of orbital mechanics knowledge to fix some of the "too many iteration" causes and it's not really something I can improve much. I will check though if the OMP should output an evaluation table even if an error has been thrown, that might help with debugging the constraints table.

@Indy91: On thing I'm not 100% clear on. At the end when you do the MC burns post Ti, does the FDO calculate the TIG's, or do those come from the actual NASA flight plan? Is there a way to calculate them for any launch where you don't have a NASA flight plan to guide the final rendezvous?

On the day of rendezvous you should end up with a rendezvous plan that has fixed TIGs for NH, NC-4 and TI. The midcourse correction burns (and the NCC maneuver) happen at times relative to TI, so you can simply calculate the MC TIGs that way. I linked a document with that in the walkthrough, check this document: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/567076main_RNDZ_135_F.pdf on PDF page 118 and 119. That contains the SPEC 34 targeting data and the relative timing of maneuvers for various altitudes. For the ISS they usually used the 210NM data, for Hubble use the 310NM one.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Tim

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

@Wolf: I'd love for you to post a little mini walk through on how you programmed the SSU with SPEC34. Even just screen shots with the plan numbers, and how they are filled in on SPEC34 would be a huge help to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Tim

Hi Tim, the use of SPEC34 is pretty simple since you feed it with predetermined target values. You can find those targets in the NASA FDF Rendezvous checklist (or in my checklist customized for SSU that you can find here [ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7113"]SSU Checklists R1.0[/ame] look ant the RENDEZVOUS CHECKLIST page 8 and onwards)

You target the following burns: NCC, Ti, MC-1-2-3-4. The data you enter define time of the burn (TIG) and the position of the Shuttle in relation to the target at specific time in the future: again those values are always identical (at least for the ISS missions) there is nothing you have to compute or derive yourself.

Example for the NCC burn:

Ti TIG is the reference time upon which all other burn TIGs are set. See the 2 following pics taken from the Rendezvous FDF Checklist and check the times of the burns

RNDVZ PROF 01.jpg

RNDVZ PROF 02.jpg

This is my setup for the burn during STS-114. You can see in the upper MFD SPEC34 page with targets loaded (you open SPEC34 from either MM201 or MM202). The lower MFD has Shuttle FDO MFD loaded; check the Ti TIG (MET 01/18:02:06).

0032.jpg

When to do the burn - Ti TIG is at MET 01/18:02:06. NCC burn is done 58 minutes before Ti (see first screenshot above) hence your T1 TIG will be 01/17:04:06.

In SPEC34 you load that time by inputting the following

ITEM2 + 01 +17 + 04 + 06 EXEC

Then you input the Time and distance constraints (entered via ITEM 17, 18, 19 and 20). For NCC burn these are +57.7, -48.60, 0.0, +1.20.
In the SSU keyboard you enter the following:

ITEM17 +57.7 -48.6 +0.0 +1.20 EXEC

you then press ITEM28 EXEC and the Shuttle computer will calculate the maneuver (target DV burns will show in the first line of the SPEC34 display)

Last thing you need to do is to import these targets into MM202. To do so you press the RESUME button (to exit SPEC34 and return to MM202) and then enter ITEM22 EXEC (targets will be loaded) then ITEM23 EXEC (time to burn will load) and finally ITEM27 EXEC (which will orient the Shuttle in the correct attitude for the burn).

Here is the maneuver loaded in OPS202

0033.jpg

Remember for very low DV burns you will be using RCS inputs (manually) instead of OMS engines.

Same procedure applies for the other burns, you just need to input their specific data in SPEC34 (ITEM 17, 18, 19, 20).

Ti burn +76.9 -0.9 0.0 +1.8

MC1 +56.9 -0.9 0.0 +1.8

MC2 +27.0 -0.9 0.0 +1.8

MC3 +10.0 -0.9 0.0 +1.8

MC4 +13.0 0.0 0.0 +0.6

Hope this can help

Tim13

Reaction score
@Wolf

That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to be off the grid for the next week or so, but when get back to my gaming rig, I'm confident I'll be able to move through the entire mission, all the way to rendezvous.

Thanks again. I now understand SPEC34. Gingin laid the ground work for me, and you wrapped it up nice and neat. I'm very grateful to both of you.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim13

Reaction score
One other question that's been bugging me since I've been looking more closely at the rendezvous portion of shuttle flight plans...see picture.

Attachments

• rdvz.jpg
    rdvz.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 180