Question Shuttle Fleet Handbook

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I am interested in developing a Flight Handbook for the Shuttle Fleet (potentially could be used with SSU as well) to mesh realistic Flight Data Files for Shuttle Missions with the limitations of the Fleet in Orbiter. The object of this would be to create as realistic as possible procedures for the Orbiteer while not having to dig through the fine print of all of the FDFs.

For example: The procedure for opening the Payload Bay Doors (PLBD) requires maneuvering to the PLBD opening attitude. To do so, you have to maneuver to a biased -ZLV, -YVV. To perform this maneuver do the following:

1. Bring up the Universal Pointing MFD in CDR2
2. Set the TGT ID (Item 7) to 2
3. Set the Body Vect (Item 14) to 5
4. Set the P (Item 15) to 90
5. Set the Y (Item 16) to 7
6. Set the OM (Item 17) to 85
7. To execute the maneuver at @ 1:12:00 MET, Select Item 19

The Orbiter will move to the appropriate position for PLBD opening.

I'm just gauging interest in something like this. Obviously, maneuvers for the actual Mission part of each mission will vary greatly, and I may be trying to take on a Herculean task, but I wanted to get a feel for whether this is something people would want. Also, I would be interested if anyone would like to help.

Cheers,

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There should be little to no differences between FDF and SSU, that is one design goal of us. And as such, it should be no simplification needed, since the FDFs don't contain any line more than needed for the real shuttle as well.

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Urwumpe,

Good point on the SSU. You basically need the FDFs to fly the SSU accurately. So, my target audience would then be for users of the Shuttle Fleet to perform more realistic missions, and if they want to be as real as possible, send them your way to obtain the SSU.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I actually started to write some basic stuff and procedures onehow to fly the Shuttle Fleet as accurately as possible, using MFDs that are available, for the OSOI project. Sounds very similar to what you are doing.

So far I got the final approach procedure done.

So in short, yeah I am interested in such a thing.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Personally I think it is a great idea Sundog :thumbup:
A SF handbook would help and also add a lot in terms of realism. It would also help using some MFD's (like UNIVPTG) that unfortunately lack proper documentation on how to use them.

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I actually started to write some basic stuff and procedures onehow to fly the Shuttle Fleet as accurately as possible, using MFDs that are available, for the OSOI project. Sounds very similar to what you are doing.

So far I got the final approach procedure done.

So in short, yeah I am interested in such a thing.

Great! Maybe we can collaborate on that part. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. If you have approach procedures nailed down for Edwards and KSC, we can work together on that. I'll give you the weekend to consider it, and I'll PM you next Monday to see if you still feel like assisting.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Personally I think it is a great idea Sundog :thumbup:
A SF handbook would help and also add a lot in terms of realism. It would also help using some MFD's (like UNIVPTG) that unfortunately lack proper documentation on how to use them.

Wolf- I would gladly have you as part of the team. Your RTLS tutorial was amazing, and I use the charts in the guide when doing that simulation. I'll let you think more about it this weekend, and I'll PM you Monday for your final answer.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Does anyone know where all of the NASA Flight Data Files can be found? NASA.org only has missions back to STS-119 and maybe STS-8 (barely readable).

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
After a quick search this is the only thing I found. I am afraid no digital copy is available though

http://research.archives.gov/description/573290

I also found this but could not get to the related forum/subforum where the files should be available (maybe you have to register before you have full access...)

http://insideksc.com/showthread.php/1408-InsideKSC-com-Update-7-8-2008-1

I'll do more search as soon as I have time

Yes. I looked at the inside KSC site, and it appears they have nothing on the Shuttle and everything on the Apollo and Gemini Missions. Oh well. I'll do what I can with what I have. It is a shame that we have these neat MFDs like Universal Pointing and Gazza's Payloads that David repackaged for Orbiter 2010, but we lack the data in many cases to fly the mission. Nonetheless, I'll work with what I have. I may end up requesting access from the archives, but I'd like to complete this manual sometime this decade :p