Installation Shuttle Fleet messed up my bases!

alecislaghi

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm really sorry if I'm in the wrong place to post this, or if this has been posted before, but I can't find anything related to this problem, I tryed everything now ... and I'm still getting used to the website, I just feel lost, like I'm inside a huge maze sometimes... :(

Well, my problem is this: I'm flying the Shuttle Fleet 4.8 scenarios and now I started to learn about the abort procedures, RTLS, ATO, TAL, etc... and when I tryed to run the "Endeavour 1EO TAL Practice" scenario, after several minutes into the simulation doing everything very concentrated, I realised (using Map MFD) that Zaragoza was in the middle of the bloody Atlantic Ocean, near Africa!!!! (My laptop almost was the one flying at that point!)

So... I went back and started to install everything again, one by one, and I noticed that after I install Shuttle Fleet(v4.8), on it's own (without the Payloads Expansion or ISS or anything else), the whole thing just gets messed up!!! ... on my list of bases (Map MFD) I get 2 Zaragozas, 2 Edwards ...it's a mess!...but then I realized, in Spain, where ZGA was supposed to be, there IS a white square (a base), so I tryed to select all the ones on the list, to see which one would be the "wrong" one to show up, and no one was that one(ZGA)!!!...so the base it's there, but it's not!!! lol ... this is sooo annoying, I don't know if I'm installing something in the wrong order or what...? :( But I installed the Shuttle Fleet first, before any of the others, and I'm sure that is the fleet who is messing up...

I just wanted to have my list of bases organized like before.. :(
I would like to have only these add-ons working together: Shuttle Fleet4.8; the Payloads Expansion 2.1 and the ISS 3.2... and that's it! I'm even making a clean installation ONLY for these ones...

If anyone can help me with this, please..
Maybe suggesting an order to install them all, without messing up the bases...? Or if someone has seen this problem with the bases, how can I "organize" my list and have only ONE base of each, and only the ones I wanted to have... please!

Thanks.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If anyone can help me with this, please..
Maybe suggesting an order to install them all, without messing up the bases...?

You could try to contact the author of the add-on. AFAIK, he is not active here, but visits DanSteph's forums.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just go and delete the bases that are in the middle of the Atlantic then, not a big deal. Not sure how this happened as I have SF and ISS 3.2 installed and dont recall ever seeing this.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The Shuttle Fleet has several bases (as you've already noticed) that will overwrite the ones you already have in your Orbiter installation. They may (or may not) match any mods you have done, also you've noticed that the bases are in the orbiter/config directory; in order for autoFCS to work that's where they need to be.

Take a look at the Earth.cfg file that comes with shuttle fleet and you'll see where the bases have been added for autoFCS. I think this is a throwback to older versions of Orbiter that required the bases to be listed in the /config folder instead of config/Earth/base (but I could be wrong).

To maybe fix the problem, copy a clean version of Canaveral (Zaragossa and the others) over somewhere where you won't lose them. After you've installed shuttle fleet, compare those to your "clean" copies. Everything must match up (locations, surface tiles, etc) or you may wind up with some strange artifacts and missing tiles.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Just go and delete the bases that are in the middle of the Atlantic then, not a big deal. Not sure how this happened as I have SF and ISS 3.2 installed and dont recall ever seeing this.

I wonder if they are the small island abort sites? They may need a pre-req to actually have any land appear.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter has a great way to control surface bases. Too bad that it's mostly overlooked by devs. Check out ..\Doc\OrbiterConfig.pdf page 13. and look at "Selective loading of bases".

I use the [CONTEXT] variable to manage H(eading)A(lignment)C(one)s, but I think [PERIOD] would be exactly what you need for STS-related bases.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well I do recall it adding abort sites as well as renaming primary landing sites to use three letter designations (helps match up to what you would program in your Horizontal Sit screen in GPC MFD.)

Why those would end up in the middle of the ocean tho, I admit this has got me a bit curious.

alecislaghi

Reaction score
Hey guys!.. thank you for all the tips!

But I still can't figure it out what is going on, I'm sorry.. :(

Thank you PhantomCruiser, I didn't know that, about the the bases that need to be on Config file in order to work on AFCS....But still that's not the main problem... also, I have all the meshes, textures, and everything in place...is just that, if I wanted to select Zaragoza on MapMFD, it would send me to the African coast... :shrug:

This is what happened: I made a clean installation (2010p1), put ONLY Orbiter Sound, DGIV(UMmu) and UCGO 3.0...and then, right after that, Shuttle Fleet (v.4.8R2)...

A clean installation of Orbiter will have 35 bases on MapMFD list....after installing SF, I have 40 bases.....from which, 2 are ZZA-Zaragozas, 2 are EDW-EdwardsAFB, 1 is KSC and 1 is VBG...(one Edwards was there before)...

When selecting ZZA-Zaragoza, in MapMFD, it shows a point near Africa, at 0° lat and 0° longitude...!!! ... you can install exactly as I did and will see the same thing... right in the middle of nowhere ...and yet, in Zaragoza, there IS a base...that is none of the 40 on the list! :facepalm:

So I tryed to use the Scenario Editor, to actually go there and see what was there (in Zaragoza), and the scenario sent me to that point in the middle of nowhere, near Africa...(there was a runway there though, thanks God, so I didn't drown!)
I flew all the way there, on that TAL to ZZA scenario, and in Spain, Zaragoza is there!...(or just a runway, but it's there!)

I'm sorry, but I can't understand what is happening and why... I think I didn't understand very well what you guys told me on the posts too... :(

I'll give another try on that again at some point, maybe I need to learn more things about bases... I don't know.. I compared files after being installed, but nothing seemed to change that much, to cause this... on my base file I can see "ZZA"... but Edwards is just Edwards, and not "EDW-Edwards", like on MapMFD... that was even more wierd!...lol

Well, thank you anyway! I appreciate your time and effort to help!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Can you post a screenshot of MapMFD with zaragoza highlighted?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I had a look at this.

Indeed, you are seeing duplicate bases because shuttle fleet is adding 4 bases in the root config folder. These extra bases also have 3 letter names. As PhantomCruiser said, this is probably an autoFCS thing and something you will need to live with in order to use it.

However, shuttle fleet ALSO modifies bases in the config/Earth/Base folder, but these look like full duplicates of what is in the root config folder. (Have not checked this exhaustively, though.) I think at least Cape Canaveral gets some runway eye-candy upgrades, but I'm not sure what the others do.

I'm also not sure why BOTH duplicate bases need to generate 3D objects, runways, textures, etc. Does AutoFCS need the runways defined in order to work? If so, I would have edited the bases in config/Earth/Base to simply exist without generating anything at all. I suspect that it is not a good idea to delete them completely from config/Earth/Base since this might break, for example, Orbiter Sound. But modifying them to be blank would have made sense, as the duplication will hurt performance.

As for ZZA - Zaragoza:

I don't think that Zaragoza came with Orbiter 2010 at all. I THINK that it is safe to delete the copy in config/Earth/Base and just keep the copy in the config root folder. But back up just in case, and delete at your own risk. As to why ZZA shows up off of the coast of Africa- open up ZZA.cfg and look at the top:

Code:
BASE-V2.0
Name = ZZA - Zaragoza
;Location = -1.0467	+41.6683
Size = 200
MapObjectsToSphere = TRUE

Notice that "Location = -1.0467 +41.6683" is commented out with the semicolon. I suspect that Orbiter is placing the base at a default location of 0 latitude, 0 longitude which is...wait for it... in the Gulf of Guinea off of the west coast of Africa. I don't know why the location is commented out, but it may have just been something that slipped through the cracks. Remove the semicolon and see what happens.

alecislaghi

Reaction score
Oh my... !!! :facepalm: :rofl:

Thank you boogabooga!!! :thumbup: Thank you very much!!!
And sorry if I caused any trouble with my posts here guys.. :embarrassed:

That semicolon was the problem!!!.. I removed from the file and Zaragoza went back to Spain!.... and that ghostly place near Africa is gone!!!
So easy, so simple!...I didn't see that on the file when I was trying to find a mistake, and I looked all the files related to ZZA and the other ones, but really didn't notice that line at all!..

Thank you for your time and help!!! I'm a happy orbinaut again! :)

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

And Garyw, thank you for your time too mate, but the problem is solved!!!

Thanks anyway! :thumbup: