Idea Shuttle Fleet recompile for Orbiter 2016

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but the header seems to say GPL and not LGPL... I predict a nice afternoon for me... :facepalm:
As for the link, I can't fix that... I think (of the people still around) that only Urwumpe as "full access" to SF.

One question I had for some time: should that header be in all source and header files, or its "enough" to have it only in the header files?

I don't think it is necessary to hurry here. I just mentioned it because it is obviously inconsistent and might lead to misunderstandings.

I guess it would be good to at least have all links say the same thing. Since it looks like GPL from the get-go, the SourceForge link should be changed to say so too, at least for the time you need to get all contributors to agree to change it to LGPL. If you have that agreement, I'd suggest to first remove the headers, then change the doc entries to LGPL, then gradually add the headers again with updated license. I don't think there is a common formalism on whether or not there needs to be a header in all sources. Well, besides from FSF, maybe.

As I see it, nobody really has a problem with it, though. It is just confusing a bit.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I don't think it is necessary to hurry here. I just mentioned it because it is obviously inconsistent and might lead to misunderstandings.

I guess it would be good to at least have all links say the same thing. Since it looks like GPL from the get-go, the SourceForge link should be changed to say so too, at least for the time you need to get all contributors to agree to change it to LGPL. If you have that agreement, I'd suggest to first remove the headers, then change the doc entries to LGPL, then gradually add the headers again with updated license. I don't think there is a common formalism on whether or not there needs to be a header in all sources. Well, besides from FSF, maybe.

As I see it, nobody really has a problem with it, though. It is just confusing a bit.

Any reason why the header replacement has/should be gradual?
(if the mods feel this is going (way) off-topic, this discussion could be moved to the SSU dev thread)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Any reason why the header replacement has/should be gradual?
(if the mods feel this is going (way) off-topic, this discussion could be moved to the SSU dev thread)

No, it is no requirement to do so, of course. I just suggested it because it is easier for the developers to add headers on the go. I.e. you have the comfort of the general license statement as fallback, and whenever you touch a source file, you check for header.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
However, there are people in this community that think that the GPL license is not applicable to Orbiter addons, or that you can't distribute such addons legally. These thoughts were discussed, but besides hearing both sides of the argument, no clear-cut community standing emerged. Martin Schweiger himself has no problems with GPL addons, as it seems.

Sadly I am not allowed to solve this case of "pseudo law" by using traditional conservative legal means. A Trial of Grievance could be considered murder in some legislations.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

As for the link, I can't fix that... I think (of the people still around) that only Urwumpe as "full access" to SF.

I should not be the only one - I did not create this project after all.

But it should be GPL not LGPL.

Thorsten

Reaction score
Well, I'm confused now.

I was too until Urwumpe clarified. Sorry for triggering this discussion by spreading wrong information - I had only looked at the SF repository license statement, not into the files.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was too until Urwumpe clarified. Sorry for triggering this discussion by spreading wrong information - I had only looked at the SF repository license statement, not into the files.

Well, we had been confused too at times. :lol:

When SSU started, we had just some source code files that had been passed from one developer to the other.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

That's why I said "of the people still around".

Yeah. But I can try fixing it later. I am at work right now, 2 hours of budget for today left. :lol:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I am trying to redo a shuttle similar to shuttle fleet. With Donamy permission using the new rms arm.

I have been looking at SSU code for guideline. With that got lights and cameras in the payload bay.

BUT trying to get the rms light, cameras to work. all I get is static camera locations and now the attachment point is not following the animation.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
It's been a few years, but I'm finally trying to get back into Orbiter. I downloaded the 2016 version, but was disappointed to see Shuttle Fleet+AutoFCS is not compatible at all.

Those were some of my favorite add-ons. It almost makes me tempted to just revert to the 2010 version, which supported a large number of the add-ons I enjoyed.

Space Shuttle Ultra looks impressive, but the complexity doesn't appeal to me. Shuttle Fleet was always a compromise in my eyes which properly melded the entertainment value of Orbiter with the simulations aspect.

If a comparable version is ever offered for 2016, I'll be the first to download it and offer my sincere thanks!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I downloaded the 2016 version, but was disappointed to see Shuttle Fleet+AutoFCS is not compatible at all.

David413, the author of Shuttle Fleet, holds all rights reserved on his work. Therefore, nobody but him can make it compatible with 2016 (or give permission to do so). You could try to contact him in this regards, perhaps with nice words and praise. However, keep in mind that he did not depart the community on exactly friendly terms.

Regarding recreating the experience from scratch, I would say the best approach is to fork the SSU project and re-use assets from there. Of course that would mean to put your project under GPL (and boy that means another can of worms), but the work already done there is impressive. Not tapping into this resources and instead recreating meshes/textures/panels all over again is just wasting time IMHO.

OTOH, wasting time can be fun, too.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well So what we are doing is using the default Atlantis. By using ms2015 the user has more choices for meshes and specs for srb and et.
Then for the shuttle by using the default Atlantis and then applying new textures you get different shuttles.
I am trying to reverse engineer some of the SF stuff. I got the views similar except Sf has a different docking hud.
I am planing to have the option of which rms arm the default or an improved one.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well By using ms2015 one can use different tanks and srbs. Basically 2 shuttle types. One with the default rms and another with the new arm from Donamy.

Like the SF Select if ODS, rms is present.

Added Payload bay light, RMS light and forward light.

Fixed the can't see cargo mesh from vc issue.

There are a couple of things not in it. docking hud, Fancy Docking panel, on the rms Select a joint and angle, Hud display of rms joints,.....

Kh1Qki8.jpg

Z3huCbK.jpg

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Looks like great work. Are there any plans down the road to incorporate some kind of reentry autopilot?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like great work. Are there any plans down the road to incorporate some kind of reentry autopilot?

Thanks. No on the auto pilot. I wouldn't know how to make it.
Also I know there was a MFD for shuttle fleet.

That might be nice. But have little experience making a mfd.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks. No on the auto pilot. I wouldn't know how to make it.
Also I know there was a MFD for shuttle fleet.

That might be nice. But have little experience making a mfd.

The MFD you are talking about is GPC MFD. The re entry displays (which reproduce OPS3 and SPEC50 displays) work with any addon so you can use it for the standard Sbuttle Atlantis too

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
It's inspired on the Moonraker shuttle.
Don't think NASA would ever use it, but it's different at least!
The black SRBS were planned and tested, so they are "real".

Anyway there's a normal white Constellation as option.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I noticed the SRB have chutes. But since we are using MS2015. No sure if it is possible?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So we also have slc6 for Shuttle launches.

In d3d9 for some reason the shadows are above the horizon?
Biup0Ro.jpg