"Silence of Space" option in OrbiterSound

What is your preferred usage of the "Silence of Space" option in OrbiterSound?

• It is better with "Silence of Space"

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • It is better with external sounds

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • It depends...

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • It does not matter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unaware of OrbiterSound and/or "Silence of Space" option

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

tomek

legal alien
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
You know, I really never thought a whole lot about "what am I in external view" thing, and I don't use it very often during the flight, it feels kind of like cheating :) I agree that whatever you're supposed to be in external view, it's probably the same something from whose point of view you watch movies :) In this particular case, could be some cloaked alien probe spying on you or something, definitely not something Earth technology would come up with.

Still, if it sees the spacecraft like a human would see it, it would seems logical for it to also hear it like a human would hear (or rather not hear) it. One could imagine the sound to be coming from some audio sensor that's actually inside the craft (tiny microphones built into every thruster :)), or simply emulated, i.e. it's not actually being received, but instead computer is modeling the way it would sound if the spacecraft would be surrounded by atmosphere - or playing sounds that were pre-recorded in atmosphere (which is what actually happens anyways :)). I'm sure anyone who would like to hear it would also be able to come up with a thousand excuses for wanting it, so the question now is whether you would like to take your time to implement it :)

PS Lukas' name is actually Lucas :)

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I vacillate with the external sound option, but this only concerns music.

Sometimes it's great to have a play-list up and running (and in these moments, it's both cockpit and external modes), and at others, all I want is to lose myself as much as is possible in the sim experience.

At those times, music's turned off.

I'm with those who like the silence of space. The quickest way to throw me out of enjoying a sci-fi film is to hear engines in the vacuum.