Sire

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The SLS gets quite some beating this night, I doubt it will be without damage.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Who would have thought that an exposed rocket on the pad, during a hurricane/tropical storm/whatever is not the best of ideas... 🤦‍♂️

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I'd guess insulation foam damage and maybe some water intrusion. Remember, this thing is designed for the dynamic pressures you'd get during ascent. Granted, it's different, but structural strength is structural strength.
BUT... why does this remind me of the (unrealistic) windstorm in "The Martian"? :cautious:
And they ended up launching the MAV in that storm...

Who would have thought that an exposed rocket on the pad, during a hurricane/tropical storm/whatever is not the best of ideas... 🤦‍♂️
I guess they weighed the risks of WX damage over structural issues from vibration and stresses during rollback.
Every time something happens with this beast, it feels like it gets a bit more fragile. I hope they launch it before it falls apart! :rolleyes:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Well, a safe rollback was not possible that quickly. KSC went into HURRCON III on Tuesday.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd guess insulation foam damage and maybe some water intrusion. Remember, this thing is designed for the dynamic pressures you'd get during ascent. Granted, it's different, but structural strength is structural strength.

The problem is, a rocket is designed for taking strong dynamic pressures nose first, while it still is a long hollow tin can for any load from the sides. And its a huge sail area, all that forces acting dynamically on the hold down posts and bolts. I doubt it will topple at such forces, but I am pretty sure, some structures will collect fractures.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Exactly. But boosters are designed to handle side loads form upper-air winds.
However, I wasn't thinking about the hold-down bolts... 😬🤞
I wonder if they could have partially pressurized the core stage with nitrogen to give it more side-load strength?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Exactly. But boosters are designed to handle side loads form upper-air winds.
However, I wasn't thinking about the hold-down bolts... 😬🤞
I wonder if they could have partially pressurized the core stage with nitrogen to give it more side-load strength?

The core stage should be at pretty low pressure even at flight pressure. Not sure if this really makes a change.

Also, these are segmented SRBs, which can deform quite a lot by bending loads.

Flexibility is pretty good in this case, since it prevents most kinds of damage, but you can't make everything flexible on a rocket.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
The core stage should be at pretty low pressure even at flight pressure. Not sure if this really makes a change.
Yeah, true. Just a crazy idea originating from the stuff I've read about the Mercury-Atlas that could collapse under it's own weight.

Also, these are segmented SRBs, which can deform quite a lot by bending loads.

Flexibility is pretty good in this case, since it prevents most kinds of damage, but you can't make everything flexible on a rocket.
Like that insulation foam?

Just checked the WX at the shuttle landing facility:
Wind 29 gusting 49 knots; Heavy rain
At least the wind isn't too bad right now...

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Rough night for SLS, looks like it's gonna pass unscheduled level 1 hurricane test, hopefully unharmed (y)