Updates SLS Updates

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
on the secrecy of the construction of Baikonur: there was a correspondent in the first construction team in the newspapers a list of labor exploits of youth was published 243 people received awards

(I found the story with the CIA in the "yellow press")

after his flight, Yuri Gagarin holds a press conference (for the foreign press) where he talks in detail about his flight

And still, they placed the construction site 300 km east than it really was. Again, read the article, it is pretty good and often quoted.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Can´t those batteries be recharged, through some pad umbilical, or something? If not, this is indeed a big facepalm.

Best regards,
From the science.org article:
BioSentinel, NEA Scout, and three other CubeSats were allowed to recharge their batteries during their long wait aboard the SLS. But five others were out of luck, including both LunaH Map and Lunar IceCube. Some could not be recharged without removing them from the rocket; in other cases NASA engineers feared the process might spark discharges that could harm the rest of the rocket.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
Could we not.
Agreed. That's in bad taste.

I'm looking forward to the mission and hope it's successful, as well as subsequent missions. Returning to the Moon is exciting. However, do we really need to reinvent the wheel? If these are just more "flags and footprints" missions, what's the point?

I think we should skip the Moon and go straight to Mars. Hopefully, Starship will take astronauts to Mars. I doubt that a Martian colony of 1 million will happen anytime soon, not in our lifetime or the next generation's lifetime for that matter.

Setting up a permanent research outpost on Mars similar to the ISS or Antarctic research station is a more realistic goal.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Agreed. That's in bad taste.

I'm looking forward to the mission and hope it's successful, as well as subsequent missions. Returning to the Moon is exciting. However, do we really need to reinvent the wheel? If these are just more "flags and footprints" missions, what's the point?

I think we should skip the Moon and go straight to Mars. Hopefully, Starship will take astronauts to Mars. I doubt that a Martian colony of 1 million will happen anytime soon, not in our lifetime or the next generation's lifetime for that matter.

Setting up a permanent research outpost on Mars similar to the ISS or Antarctic research station is a more realistic goal.
I view the Moon as a future hub for the solar system because its low gravity and lack of atmosphere makes it easy to launch rockets from there. If we establish colonies on the Moon, we might surely build colonies not only on Mars but also on other celestial bodies. That's the point for the Artemis program.

APDAF

Reaction score
I made the exact same joke before the JWST was launched, it's an obvious sarcastic comment about Irony.

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
I view the Moon as a future hub for the solar system because its low gravity and lack of atmosphere makes it easy to launch rockets from there. If we establish colonies on the Moon, we might surely build colonies not only on Mars but also on other celestial bodies. That's the point for the Artemis program.
Hmmm... Easy ? if you think about the gravitational and atmospheric constraints, yes. If you think about the logistic and industrial parameters, far less easy. And if you think about money... Assembling (manufacturing ?) in undergroud facilities, providing energy, fuels, materials, life support, security, tracking, in a radioactive environment will be an awful nightmare. Just think how much it will cost to bring a simple technician there, and how much he/she will want to do so. How much it will cost for the insurances. The gain obtained with the gravitational and atmospheric conditions would be deleted by the other parameters. And in terms of distances, there's simply no gain. 300 000 km if you want to go to Titan is nothing. Plus, it won't be possible to launch if the Earth isn't in the good position, that tightens the windows, and as soon as you quit the Moon's SOI, your in the Earth's SOI, so you need the same escape velocity. So, the only real advantage to launch from the Moon is for orbiting... the Moon. And the only valuable target is Earth itself. But yes, we must go back to the Moon, for scientific, technological, industrial purposes. And because we need to see Humanity doing great things. And because it gives us the possibility to share about our passion, and make this forum so interesting.;):cheers:

richfororbit

Reaction score
This mission is the realistic goal. Not Mars.

Like to see a test orbital mission of Mars using something like Orion and something extra, that may be the test before sending Astronauts. The current mission is going a bit further by not simply orbiting the Moon, but having a very long orbit outwards. I am not sure on those lagrange missions that were considered beyond the moon area.

As for the blowing up jokes, yeah, considering it has been fifty years, that is a pointless joke. It has been two generations since the last mission, perhaps it may be a delusional road to travel on, hearing Cernan's words nearly fifty years ago, about hope for the future, and all that crap.

But at least a few missions ahead, that is what matters, not flights of fancy which get us nowhere, but sitting watching star trek. Seriously TNG is show its age, big time.

clipper

Reaction score
They've got a separate stream dedicated for the launch and it should be at 4K once it goes live (the NASA TV one is capped at 720p)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The LH2 bleed flow situation is not looking good.
IMO, that's probably debris or for some reason the bleed valve solenoid didn't fully open...

steph

Reaction score
Supposed crack in the intertank. This is just getting 'better' and better