Problem [Solved]Trying to figure out Surface tiles Orbiter 2010

2Copernicus

Reaction score
Hi all.

So I'm working on an orbiter lunar scenery, and one of the steps I'm trying to test out is adding surface tiles for the area. I basically followed the orbiter wiki regarding Surface tile implementation, as I'm a tad new to development and I couldn't find anything else regarding their development and creation (at least that I could understand).

So following the implementation, I add the texture as Moon_1_E0780_S0396 and then create a base cfg file. Yet for some reason whilst the base does load (it exists and is targetable on the map) the surface tile doesn't seem to be there. The one thing I was wondering it could be is that the texture is 8 mb large, is that too big? Or did I mess up on the numerical conversion?

TY all, and if this is extremely simple my bad, just really new to all this :).

Attachments

• 40NWRosse(1).txt
    227 bytes · Views: 5

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is the old surface texture mechanism that is only partially supported in Orbiter 2016. Check the PlanetTextures.pdf in Orbiter's Doc folder for more information.

EDIT: just noted that the title changed to Orbiter 2010. In this case, scratch the above.

Last edited:

2Copernicus

Reaction score
This is the old surface texture mechanism that is only partially supported in Orbiter 2016. Check the PlanetTextures.pdf in Orbiter's Doc folder for more information.

EDIT: just noted that the title changed to Orbiter 2010. In this case, scratch the above.
Yeah. Just tested the texture by replacing a cape canav texture with it. It worked so the texture is fine. Just seems like my base config file isn't working though I don't know why.

And apologies about the confusion regarding 2010.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I've only ever made bases for Earth. It might be best to start there till you are confident with the process. You are putting the surface tile texture into the /Textures or Textures2 directory?

2Copernicus

Reaction score
I've only ever made bases for Earth. It might be best to start there till you are confident with the process. You are putting the surface tile texture into the /Textures or Textures2 directory?
In the textures folder. I tried the texture and apparently it started working on level 3, I’ll try and see if it works in other regions of the moon at level 3. Should it be in textures 2?

Unfortunately, for some reason texture level 1,2,4 don’t work In that area, no idea as to why.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I used both! Dosen't seem to matter much, but for consistency I ended up using Textures2.

Do you make sure your DDS surface tiles and .cfg entries match up?

eg
.dds file "Earth_0_w0001_n0073" in your Textures directory has a corresponding entry in the Config directory?

BEGIN_SURFTILELIST
0 -1 73 1
END_SURFTILELIST

I found this to be confusing at first.

2Copernicus

Reaction score
I used both! Dosen't seem to matter much, but for consistency I ended up using Textures2.

Do you make sure your DDS surface tiles and .cfg entries match up?

eg
.dds file "Earth_0_w0001_n0073" in your Textures directory has a corresponding entry in the Config directory?

BEGIN_SURFTILELIST
0 -1 73 1
END_SURFTILELIST

I found this to be confusing at first.
Yeah textures or textures 2 both work. Found out the problem (thanks to 4throck for pointing it out). I didn't realize that different resolution levels had different tile indexes for an area, and that the orbiter wiki equation only functions for level 3 on the moon apparently. Using Orbiter Base Maker makes it infinitely easier.

So I guess this problem is solved.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent!