Project Soyuz 7k.dll

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Mmh yes, makes sense.

Also I forgot to quote the Sun-tracking sensor. I don't know if it is present on the 7K-T, since it has no solar panels, though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Mmh yes, makes sense.

Also I forgot to quote the Sun-tracking sensor. I don't know if it is present on the 7K-T, since it has no solar panels, though.

Since it is one way to establish a reliable direction in space, I would say it was not be removed. Also it is part of the guidance system, hard to remove without major changes.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking the same, an orientation sensor is always useful.

So here is what I hope to be an exhaustive lists of the things to do before an Alpha release :

- Code the attitude sensors (IR, Ionic, Sun). -> ok

- Fix some bad behavior noticed when loading after the separation of a module. -> ok, tbc by alpha-tests

- Landing : the main chute has to tilt the spacecraft to ~30°, then level it after the heatshield is dropped.

- Make the various antennas deploy in sequence (it will be my guess, as I have no info about this, I'd say communications aft and front as soon as possible, then the others at the next orbit, once systems have been checked). -> ok, tbc by alpha-tests

- Reentry : have to check and fix some load/save variables, also I have to code a G-meter. -> G-meter coded but G-Force formula has to be improved.

- Mesh display bugs related to switching view (VC, exterior). -> ok, tbc by alpha-tests

- Hold attitude AP during manoeuvers. -> ok for now, later improvements will be required however

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Could you also implement a 2D attitude holding mechanism, like Soyuz does by using two gyroscopes? These are activated before a maneuver and uncaged (so they detect attitude changes) for holding attitude or do a maneuver around these two axes.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Could you also implement a 2D attitude holding mechanism

Should not be too hard ; you mean like "if any change of angular velocity is noticed on the X or Y axis then use RCS thrusters to correct this change" ?

I think I should avoid using the GetGlobalPos / Global2Local vector functions there ; because in reality there is no way to get those values from the spacecraft.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Should not be too hard ; you mean like "if any change of angular velocity is noticed on the X or Y axis then use RCS thrusters to correct this change" ?

I think I should avoid using the GetGlobalPos / Global2Local vector functions there ; because in reality there is no way to get those values from the spacecraft.

It is good enough if you just pretend to do so. Realism is nice, but being able to implement it is better.

castorp

Reaction score
then use RCS thrusters to correct this change" ?

iirc the sun-sensor system at least (if not the whole kit&kaboodle) was linked-in to a pair of gyros which accomplished such changes of tracking attitude, not the rcs systems (which were reserved for [mainly] automatic maneuvers)...
however i still don't have the machine with all my source docs back on-line yet, so this is just from memory, but perhaps someone with more technical details at hand (Urwumpe, wie immers? :cheers: ) can verify the presence/function of gyros??

cheers,
hc
:probe:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Soyuz has CMGs ? I thought it was reserved to bigger vessels, like the Shuttle, Salyut, Mir or the ISS.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Anyway, the sensors part is finished ; it takes into account the location of the sensors on the spacecraft and the fact it is day or night. Of course they return absolute values, and it is where the fun begins !

Also, I went a little crazy with the translation that Urumpwe made of the 7K MWS, added a little shortcut that tests the MWS :) Only a few items are functional for now, but that will probably extends as the addon progresses.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Soyuz has CMGs ? I thought it was reserved to bigger vessels, like the Shuttle, Salyut, Mir or the ISS.

No CMG, it rather works like that.

1. The gyroscope is spun up and caged (The gimbal around which it can rotate its spin axis is locked to the spacecraft)
  2. The spacecraft maneuvers into a reference attitude, eg towards the sun.
  3. The gyroscope is uncaged (now it can rotate freely around its gimbal)
  4. When the spacecraft rotates in that axis, the gyroscope is displaced and emits error angle information.
  5. When +/- 8° is exceeded, an alert is sounded.

There is also an more complex inertial navigation platform thing on Soyuz-7K, which is used for maneuvers, but the two simpler gyroscopes are used more often for keeping a stable attitude.

Anyway, the sensors part is finished ; it takes into account the location of the sensors on the spacecraft and the fact it is day or night. Of course they return absolute values, and it is where the fun begins !

You could maybe make the ion sensors a bit more complex later... as far as I remember, the TV/oscilloscope like indicator in the center of the panel can display the outputs of the ion sensors for controlling their output. All four ion sensors there are summed up to give one direction, and the resulting output voltages are used for deflecting the cathode ray of the indicator.

Not sure how ion pockets appeared on the old soyuz, since you can't really tell, what ion pockets actually are in western spaceflight lingo, but if they are related to the magnetosphere of Earth, they should appear as the otherwise fine dot on the display becoming large and fuzzy.

castorp

Reaction score
I went a little crazy with the translation that Urumpwe made of the 7K MWS, added a little shortcut that tests the MWS :) Only a few items are functional for now, but that will probably extends as the addon progresses.

that's badass! 'love it!!
:cheers:
also, when i get my machine back i believe i have stored away a bmp for the map-mfd background that is more like the multicolor terrain elevation map used in the soyuz cockpit (the globe landing site indicator)... we lose the cooler functions of the new orbiter version map mfd, but it might give the look a more historic feel?
'will post it when able.
cheers,
hc

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And BTW, I just got my very own copy of "Soyuz, an Universal Spacecraft" by Hall & Shayler, it was the last one on Amazon.fr, I couldn't let it go ! :lol:

Very good-looking book, a mine of information & schematics ; .pdf are one thing, the "analog" format is another :cool:

When +/- 8° is exceeded, an alert is sounded.

I think I've read somewhere (I still have to read the book) that there is a first warning at 6°, then an "Avaria" (breakdown) alarm at 8°. I guess it should trigger the "Attitude" warning on the MWS.

So yes, the "gyro" is a gyroscope, not a gyrodyne ; all the manoeuvers have to be performed through RCS (DO mode).

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
111117201700rs24.jpg

I've created a HUD button set using photos from the 7K panels. This is a test and this texture files WILL overwrite your Orbiter default HUDs. Use at your own risk :lol:!

http://www.mediafire.com/?fs9f9glp5mksrox

I'd advise to rename the file and replace one of the alternate colors. As far as I'm concerned, this "hud style" could be part of the addon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And BTW, I just got my very own copy of "Soyuz, an Universal Spacecraft" by Hall & Shayler, it was the last one on Amazon.fr, I couldn't let it go ! :lol:

I can only recommend it, a really good book :)

I think I've read somewhere (I still have to read the book) that there is a first warning at 6°, then an "Avaria" (breakdown) alarm at 8°. I guess it should trigger the "Attitude" warning on the MWS.

Exactly.

castorp

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, this "hud style" could be part of the addon.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

there is a first warning at 6°, then an "Avaria" (breakdown) alarm at 8°. I guess it should trigger the "Attitude" warning on the MWS.

'speaking of warnings, on the OctoberSky project we'd somehow gotten a hold of the info on the characteristics of the on-board warning sounds and were able to replicate them with a simple waveform synthesizer... they're quite "unique"! ;-) 'will be happy of course to upload those as well once the ol' machina maldita is back on-line (c2 weeks)!
cheers,
hc

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, excellent news, I was just telling myself, thinking about those alarm signals "things like old alarms sounds must be lost forever. Pics of old panels stay, but sounds get much less attention". Happy I was wrong on this one :cool:

Of course we're not there yet, but sounds will be needed to give any feeling of immersion :yes:

castorp

Reaction score
Interesting. Have no idea about what kind of sounds to expect.

:)

personally i think the alarm sounds are kinda weird and eery... 'looking forward to uploading them (by tuesday after thanksgiving) to hear what everyone else thinks!

we as well did a waveform composite for the ambient air-conditioning sound (quite unexpectedly loud! 'definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea) based on the known decibel and hertz range values of the cabin fans; 'will post that as well as a masochistic option for those hard-core realism freaks that wish to give their sanity a stiff test... :p

cheers and eagerly looking forward to future developments,
hc

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-ar6npSrU"]Два советских "Союза": встреча на орбите 17.01.09 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice video about Soyuz-4 with in flight images.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
We can even see a tracking station planted into a wheat field at the end :cool: