Project Soyuz 7k.dll

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or limit your HUD to the data, that was displayed in the real Soyuz.

Yes, my goal would be to make something that at least "looks like" the digital dislpay system. However, despite of your good Wiki article, I've no idea how it works, what values are displayed and what's the key to decipher it... Any information on this would be interesting.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, my goal would be to make something that at least "looks like" the digital dislpay system. However, despite of your good Wiki article, I've no idea how it works, what values are displayed and what's the key to decipher it... Any information on this would be interesting.

Well, just ask me. As long as I am online, I can help. But my computer and I will move to the new flat next week, and I have no ETA yet when DSL will be ready there. I hope before Christmas.

The wiki article is also not good. It is a rather free translation of the Tiapchenko publications. It could be much better and much more complete, but I lack the time to do such translations in the required scale. Somebody else who can actually speak Russian would be better for the job.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, at least the "Sans Serif" font is a little closer from the original.

Also, I went a little crazy doing rectangles for the MWS. But I'm not too unhappy with the result (here in self-test mode, only the active alarms show up).

All that display "eats" the viewport, but a) you can switch it off b) it is more or less intended, exterior views from the inside of the Soyuz are limited.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can you replace the MWS by a small "MWS" rectangle that shines yellow or red depending on the highest alert category that would be currently displayed, when the full MWS is hidden?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the idea. Like when the small rectangle shines, you press a key to check the whole panel where the you can cases in "alarm" brighter than the others ?

Hiding the MWS panel should then reset the "small rectangle" until the next alert.

Edit : got the ionic sensors to work properly !

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hiding the MWS panel should then reset the "small rectangle" until the next alert.

Yes, that could work. IMHO, it would be maybe better to always display the MWS in the color of the biggest alert/warning, and put a bright red border around the rectangle, when a new alert appeared (but staying silent for warnings)

Voyager

Reaction score
Wait, so can I download this anywhere? Read the entire topic, and am confused.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's not where, but when.

And the answer is certainly : a Tuesday :p

:hailprobe:

For now the vessel is hardly playable. Amongst a lot of things, the Igla docking autopilot has to be implemented, and I feel that will be another big chunk of code.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For now the vessel is hardly playable. Amongst a lot of things, the Igla docking autopilot has to be implemented, and I feel that will be another big chunk of code.

No. It had been implemented in the real thing with pretty easy analog technology. you just need to get the input data for it.

Przemek77

Soyuz pilot
Reaction score
MWS panel is great IMHO. It is better than the "semi-fictious" 2D graphic panels like in early footages of "Octobersky" project.

Will be implemented random failures (setting in scenario file - just like in "Project Mercury")?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Will be implemented random failures (setting in scenario file - just like in "Project Mercury")?

At least for the Igla docking system, given it had a very low reliability during the first Soyuz7K-T missions ; the cosmonauts had often to try to achieve docking approach manually.

The main engine failed once on a Salyut missions, and cosmonauts used the backup engine to deorbit. Also, parachute failures could be interesting, considering there is a reserve chute. But we'll see that sort of things when the nominally-working addon will be finished ;)

Some changes on the MWS as suggested Urumpwe :

Now there is a small "Alert" or "Avaria" indicator on the HUD, and you press a key to display the full panel and see what's going on. Here, the three yellow alerts simply indicate that you are passing in range of communication station (so you are receiving telemetry, and it is a good time to plan manoeuvers).

Przemek77

Soyuz pilot
Reaction score
Do you know russian language? I have a interresting pdf document about Soyuz control panels and systems. Do you want it?

How to join to "alpha team"? :D (joke of course, i will wait for further stable releases :) )

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I found a reference about the Soyuz-7K-T DPO fuel levels on page 134 in the book. It is quoted there as "80 kg consumed and 8-10 kg left". No hard data yet on the DO, but I still assume it to have 1/3rd of the fuel mass of the DPO.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, from what I can read p.60 of Soyuz, an Universal Spacecraft, the Soyuz-7K-T DPO/DO thrusters used only hydrogen peroxyde, unlike the Soyuz-T that used the main UDMH/N2O4 tanks.

The consequence of this is a much lower ISP, as Astronautix states 117 secs (1147.77 m/s). That's going to be quite a challenge !

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, from what I can read p.60 of Soyuz, an Universal Spacecraft, the Soyuz-7K-T DPO/DO thrusters used only hydrogen peroxyde, unlike the Soyuz-T that used the main UDMH/N2O4 tanks.

The consequence of this is a much lower ISP, as Astronautix states 117 secs (1147.77 m/s). That's going to be quite a challenge !

Yes, hydrogen peroxide is a poor but reliable propellant.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Now I understand better why the Igla system rotated the whole spacecraft to use only the main engine, rather than relying on the DPO system that really should be saved for the last 100 hundred meters...

Edit : Now I have 500 kg of UDMH/N2O4 + 120 kgs (90+30) of H2O2. And the empty mass of the spacecraft is given for 6300 kgs anyways, so does that mean I have to reduce the UDMH/N2O4 tank (interestingly, the same book quotes that the Zond had no DPO system and only 400 kg of main propellant)...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now I understand better why the Igla system rotated the whole spacecraft to use only the main engine, rather than relying on the DPO system that really should be saved for the last 100 hundred meters...

Actually, it did so because the analog computer to control the sequence was not capable for more. docking with a non-cooperative target, like Kurs can, is much more difficult and requires much more calculations.

Still you will prefer using the main engine for the big corrections and the DPO only for the fine tuning.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So I revised the masses to :

- 400 kg N2O4/UDMH
- 130 kg H2O2 (in 2 tanks)
- 6250 kg "empty" mass (including consumables).

So we have 6780 kg, + 2 cosmonauts (150 kg) = 6930 kg.

Dv = 215 m/s (they say 210 m/s on Astronautix).

Not too bad ? :hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
you still have too much fuel... it is 500 kg all together in most references. So you should have only 370 kg fuel.