Space Engine – Free Universe Simulator

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I just downloaded this and was amazed by how beautiful everything is. Of course we have no idea what planets out of our solar system look like, but it is fun to imagine. Most of it seems plausible.

I love taking screenshots to use for my desktop background. Beats the boring Windows logo that I had on there before. :thumbup:

Now if only we can implement these graphics into the Orbiter world and incorporate interstellar travel, that would be icing on the cake for our already superb space simulator.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I just downloaded this and was amazed by how beautiful everything is. Of course we have no idea what planets out of our solar system look like, but it is fun to imagine. Most of it seems plausible.

You mean other star systems? I'm pretty sure we have a good idea of what Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto are like...:lol:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We don't have that a good an idea of what Ceres or Pluto are like. Our knowledge of them is far better than our knowledge of exoplanets, but we don't have as good an understanding of their surfaces as we do of say, the moons of Uranus or Neptune (which have been imaged from relatively close distances).

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
We don't have that a good an idea of what Ceres or Pluto are like. Our knowledge of them is far better than our knowledge of exoplanets, but we don't have as good an understanding of their surfaces as we do of say, the moons of Uranus or Neptune (which have been imaged from relatively close distances).

Well, we'll soon have a better understanding of them when Dawn arrives at Ceres, and New Horizons arrives at Pluto.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A whole three years isn't soon! I want to see 'proper' pictures of these objects now! :rant:

:p

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Space Engine is a free OpenGL based program witch allow you to explore the universe in 3D, in a Celestia style. With it you can choose to see the known world or you can go inside various real or generated galaxies to see procedural stars, planets and moons. Space Engine can generate from galaxies to lands. It has a newton-based (but reallyyy simple) physics engine allowing you to travel like a ship. The 0.96 update adds real spacecraft (by "real" I mean that you can see them, not that they are or were really launched). So, this is a picture from Space Engine:
scr00000.png

(you can see what type of "spacecraft" are in this game, and how procedural planets renders)

A new feature came with 0.96 is black hole gravitational lensing, like that:
scr00004.png

Space Engine can renders eclipses:
scr00001.png

scr00011.png

Generated galaxy viewed from the side:
scr00003.png

And Milky Way seen from inside the LMC (orbiting a procedural planet) :
scr00008.png

And a screen showing the capacity of SpaceEngine to generate terrains:
scr00007.png

Quickly, I've started to find some nice planets, and one day ... I found "Temperate Terra with Life" ! :cheers:
scr00005.png

This one is a cool oceania, with only land on the night side of the planet:
scr00002.png

Returning to the known world, space sunset from the Earth:
scr00009.png

Here is the official Space Engine site: http://en.spaceengine.org/
If you want even more pictures, come here: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/10-432-1
And I'll leave you with a skybox picture and some videos (not made by me) :
scr00013.png

Space Engine 0.96 Update - kurtijmac

The Size of the Known Universe - JSSJR90

Billions and billions - pebblegarden

Probe-style video - bboyenw

Settings please.:tiphat:

Screamer7

Reaction score
My PC run Space Engine very well.
It's a Core I5 3470.(Ivy Bridge)
nVidia 660 GTX 2 GB ram.
8 GB ram.
My older PC, which was a Core 2 Duo E4400, with 2 GB of ram and a Gforce 9600 GT, struggle a lot with Space Engine.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There was also [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis"]Noctis[/ame], but that had a very low resolution (320x240).

Last edited:

Kendo

Reaction score
Brilliant piece of gear. But could get very boring after a while, without many more sections to apply.
We could do with something like that for Orbiter for station building modules etc. etc.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
There are some ship / station building tools for Orbiter, like:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4075"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4075[/ame]

Kendo

Reaction score
Thanks. Now we have D3D9 and D3D11, Orbiter is capable of rendering far better meshes.

Screamer7

Reaction score
This is just amazing.
I like the Auroras.
But there is something missing in the 0.97 version.
The Alpha Centauri AB system do not have a life sustained moon anymore.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The English Language Space Engine website has been down for several days. The Russian Version is still up. Anybody know what's going on? I hope all is O.K.

Losing Francophone/dansteph AND Space Engine in one weekend is too much. :thumbsdown:

This is just amazing.
I like the Auroras.
But there is something missing in the 0.97 version.
The Alpha Centauri AB system do not have a life sustained moon anymore.

It's because a real exoplanet around Alpha Cent. B was discovered last year, and it's represented instead. The real exoplanet database has precedence over fantasy and procedural.