Space Shuttle Low Fuel

General_Mile_1

Mile
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Mile
Hello there, every time I launch space shuttle I fall down to earth because main tank has no enough fuel to go to orbit, I still need more delta v but I just couldnt find it, can you assist me? Do you have same problem with space shuttle?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you give more info. Like 2010 or 2016,.... The scenario would tell which shuttle it is.

General_Mile_1

Mile
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Mile
2016, any spae shuttle launch scenario has no enough fuel, I mostly use Launch into sunrise, but I have to add a bit of fuel with scenario editor to be able to enter orbit

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
2016, any spae shuttle launch scenario has no enough fuel, I mostly use Launch into sunrise, but I have to add a bit of fuel with scenario editor to be able to enter orbit

You fly it manually ?

steph

Reaction score
Flown manually, standard shuttle is a pain. It can be done, but just barely. I usually ended up using up most of the OMS for it too. But, there's an MFD included that flies it automatically just fine to desired orbit and inclination. That is, you haven't turned off unlimited fuel, in which case it is too heavy to get to orbit

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello there, every time I launch space shuttle I fall down to earth because main tank has no enough fuel to go to orbit, I still need more delta v but I just couldnt find it, can you assist me? Do you have same problem with space shuttle?
Main tank doesn´t get you to orbit. You have to perform OMS-1 and/or OMS-2 burns...

1653422918781.png

Best regards,

steph

Reaction score
This is, assuming you're not just launching vertically or something. Doing the roll to 90/east right after launch helps, I think. And a lot depends on how one maneuvers low in the atmosphere, it 'magnifies' all the mistakes, and the constant adjusting with the keyboard also wastes fuel. Try to keep it at the same alt once you're out of the atmosphere, don't just burn prograde. And you can also throttle down a bit if you think the numbers are moving too fast as the external tank is emptying.
It's quite common to end up with at least 2-300 m/s still missing by the time external tank is gone.

I usually ended up setting it on a slightly upward trajectory, so that I'd have the apogee somewhere around 180-200km, and at least a few hundred seconds to that by the time.of MECO. You switch prograde imediately after jetisson, and start firing the OMS. But you don't stay prograde, instead you rotate it so that it's pointing at almost 90 degrees upwards compared to prograde. That will slow down the time to Ap, and make the shuttle lighter . As you start nearing Ap, you rotate to more and more prograde, until you're actually doing the circularization burn. Usually.with like a quarter/ a third of OMS fuel left.

But, there are many realistic addons of the Shuttle and other cool spacecraft, feel free to look them up on the forum. Eyeballing an orbital launch can be done, but it's iffy. Since the automated launch MFD does it just fine even for the standard shuttle, it's more of a case of manual not being precise enough on a system thaf's already barely able to reach LEO

Last edited:

General_Mile_1

Mile
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Mile
You fly it manually ?
Yes I fly it manually, but its not like I need a little bit of delta v, but like, 500 meters per second, and no matter how I launch, I couldnt get to orbit, even if I turn on orbital engines, shuttle just starts reentry

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As said above, it is likely a problem of excessive drag. You have to keep the AoA super-low to achieve orbit manually, it really takes some experience and a lot of focus. The wings of the Shuttle work like brakes if not perfectly aligned with the airstream. In real life they would likely break off. Well no astronaut ever did that. There's a guidance computer for a reason. :)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which Mfd? The Sts2016 relies on MS2015 to get the shuttle into orbit

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's the AscentAP. Last in the MFD list, you need to hit SEL to 2nd page to see it. Takes it up to orbit just fine
Oh, That is for the default Atlantis, I believe. I removed that from the Shuttle2016 STS due to the fact that we used MS2015 for launches

steph

Reaction score
Oh, That is for the default Atlantis, I believe. I removed that from the Shuttle2016 STS due to the fact that we used MS2015 for launches
Dunno, I still have it on stock 2016. But it could be I installed Orbiter 2016 from an ancient hdd , so it's not the updated version