Space Shuttle Simulator

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Neat!
First vertical elements! XD Good you have nice big trunk out there! Imaging putting all this timber in a sedan or something.. ?

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
One month since my last post ? The clock is running...

No major updates to report so far regarding the sim itself. I got a little sick (no Covid-19, just a cold) and went on vacation. But the project still advanced. The Food Systems Lab is almost finished and ready for business. The floor of the middeck is also alsmost finished. Only "wall hooks" and velcro has to be added but that'll be done once the PVC is rolled onto the floor's substructure (will send photos later).

IMG_5817.jpg

IMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG

IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5819.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

Can't wait to prepare the first packages and test them. Especially the freeze-dried stuff...

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
This project is purely astounding. The talent here is unreal. You go, dude. You have a goal and you're really sticking to it.
Indeed. A lot of work. I‘ll buy more materials tomorrow. I hope to finish the entire middeck until the end of the year.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Well, I didn't realize it's been more than a year since the last post here o_O Damn, time is running faster than expected 😆

A lot happened in the mean time. Due to changes in my job (good ones though) I sadly didn't and don't have the time to continue an elaborate Shuttle project as previously desired. But I didn't want to give up dreaming. So I decided to cut the program and divide it into two different and smaller but more feasible projects. The main goal was and is to save time.

I came up with the idea to build a smaller and "simple" flight simulator setup for general and commercial aviation (using MSFS). And just next to it I will build a "general" space flight simulator. The space flight simulator will be enclosed (including a hatch for ingress/egress) and made of painted OSB panels. It still will feature ventilation, waste compartment, space food replica, etc... for mission durations ranging from 12 to 72 hours. But of course it's not the Shuttle's flight deck anymore. It will be capable to simulate whatever is desired. The advantage and compromise is that it can run different simulations beside Orbiter (like Reentry or SSM2007). And it doesn't take a lot of time and efforts to build it. The project will start this week :)

The flight simulator is almost finished. It features very nice hardware and is made of PVC pipes and PVC hard disks (usually used for exhibition stand construction). I still have to tie the cables and hide them in a box and conduit...

IMG_8126.JPG

IMG_8127.JPG

IMG_8120.JPG

IMG_8121.JPG

Early test...

IMG_8069.JPG

IMG_8073.JPG

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey there!
Nice to see you back! :)
Yeah, time flies, doesn't it?! Did my recent post remind you to update your thread too? :D
New pit looks cool too. Of course, it's not shuttle cabin, but at least you can already fly it! :hailprobe:
:probe::cheers:

Last edited:

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Did my recent post remind you to update your thread too? :D
Yes and no :p I wanted to post an update for weeks. But your update was the final call 😁
New pit looks cool too. Of course, it's not shuttle cabin, but at least you can already fly it! :hailprobe:
:probe::cheers:
Yeah. It's awesome. But there'll be a cabin for my space flight sim :hailprobe:

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
It turned out that my new chair was "too high" (even in the lowest position) and actually inappropriate for my flight sim project. So I spent an extra-day (and extra bucks) to apply a "little" update. Turned out to be a perfect idea. Now everything is reachable easily and the seat itself feels way more comfortable. The project is actually a very good preparation for my upcoming space flight sim :)

I just have to apply black paint to the wood...

IMG_8138.JPG

IMG_8131.JPG

IMG_8132.JPG

IMG_8133.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Just finished the seat. It got black paint and I also added rubber between the construction and the seat as a kind of spacing due to the 3mm aluminum strips (see images). Now it looks perfect. Turns out to be way more robust than the original "cross" of the seat (and you also don't get that "wobbly" feeling). It will last for many years, if not for decades. And I can attach any new or different seat to it whenever required in the future. It might just require different holes in the aluminum strips or maybe even attaching an aluminum plate and drill whatever holes are required. The aluminum does not hold any weight anyway. It's just there for connecting the seat to the squared timber and holding it in place. The construction might hold 250Kg or so. Not required but nice to have :)

Having a seat on this one is maybe comparable with sitting in a car or a single-engine aeroplane (y)

IMG_8152.JPG

IMG_8142.JPG

IMG_8146.JPG

IMG_8148.JPG

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8150.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

gamer19

Reaction score
amazing setup !
although... I don't see any brakes on those wheels :unsure:
won't you be all over your living room, as soon as you start pumping on those pedals ? 😊

Last edited:

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
amazing setup !
It really is :hailprobe:I knew it was going to be nice but I didn't expect it would be that nice :LOL: I'm glad I did it. I was dreaming about it for two decades actually, since MS Flight Simulator 2000. But hardware and software wasn't satisfying. The wait was very worth it. With todays hardware and software you can easily build and enjoy something like that. And it's not too expensive either!

We are living in great times.

although... I don't see and brakes on those wheels :unsure:
won't you be all over your living room, as soon as you start pumping on those pedals ? 😊
The two front wheels have brakes. You can actually see them on the third picture. They don't only stop the wheels, they also lock them at certain angles. Very robust stuff. I bought one of the best I could find at the local DIY market.

But you are right. There is no way to use it without any brakes. As soon as you unlock them you could easily turn your living room into a homemade bumper car ride :ROFLMAO: