Discussion Space Shuttle Tribute

Which is your favourite spaceworthy Space Shuttle?

• Atlantis

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Challenger

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Columbia

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Discovery

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Endeavour

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Yes they were all brave beyond a normal human's comprehension. them and the challenger crew and soyuz 1 and soyuz 11. let them rest in peace.

And:
Valentin Bondarenko
Theodore Freeman
Elliot See
Charles Bassett
Gus Grissom
Edward White II
Roger Chaffee
Clifton "C.C." Williams
Robert Lawrence
Yuri Gagarin
Sergei Vozovikov

Who were all astronauts but were killed in non-spaceflight incidents.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
"Yuri Gagarin"
Especially this guy. He literally went where no man has gone before.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Since when is ALT the first shuttle flight? I always thought of STS-1 as the first flight but to each his own, I guess.

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

BTW, on the list of astronauts/cosmonauts who died from something other then a space mission, you forgot the guy who died during a test of the Vostok ejection seat. (I can't remember his name.)

Last edited:

Krikkit

Reaction score
I am picking Endeavour based on name alone.

Discovery has by far had the most interesting missions.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
I love them all, but the one that is closest to me is Discovery, she is named after vessels of exploration that have launched on expeditions from here in Scotland. Captain Scott's Discovery is sitting berthed in Dundee, and now America's Discovery will be sitting in the Smithsonian.

Endeavour is one that I hold dear too, I see Endeavour as Challenger in spirit, she carried on the work of Challenger and was an Orbiter of great capability!

I wonder what sort of craft will be next to carry the names of the six Orbital-Vehicles flown?

Wally

Reaction score
It's really hard to pick a favorite one. I would choose Enterprise of being the best of the both worlds (real-life and sci-fi) but she haven't got the chance of a proper space mission. I love Columbia and Challenger for their sacrifice. Discovery is the gracefully Od Lady now, but I don't want to forget about Endeavour or Atlantis. It's really, really hard to pick a favorite. I don't have children, but I imagine if I would have more than one, I would feel the same way about them also.