If you guess I will show you another beautiful image of this flight 😊
😉

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I can, but I'll let others play, as my attempt at this a few weeks ago didn't go well... :cautious:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Textures need a little scorching after reentry. IMHO

would be easy, if we would have a shader to paint scorch marks or weathering over the normal texture....

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
would be easy, if we would have a shader to paint scorch marks or weathering over the normal texture....
Well, we do have the routine that is used to apply the SRB BSM scorch marks on the ET. I don't see why it could not be used for a similar effect on the orbiter, but triggered by some event.

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello, I have a small issue when creating T-31 second scenarios with the mission editor: When running the scenario, the launch holds at T-27 seconds. Its weird because on ~10% of the times it does pass through to liftoff, so seems like it may be a bug. Here is a scenario where the issue happens for me: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ymjx...-41G.scn?rlkey=1p8c6dq7xhkpteysh81tttq6r&dl=0

The issue does not happen on T-9 min scenarios created by the ME.

LCC MFD after the cutoff:

Screenshot-2023-10-04-14.51.08.png

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello, I have a small issue when creating T-31 second scenarios with the mission editor: When running the scenario, the launch holds at T-27 seconds. Its weird because on ~10% of the times it does pass through to liftoff, so seems like it may be a bug. Here is a scenario where the issue happens for me: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ymjx...-41G.scn?rlkey=1p8c6dq7xhkpteysh81tttq6r&dl=0

The reason for the RSLS Abort is usually listed in the orbiter.log file, so take a look at the bottom.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

Screenshot-2023-10-04-14.51.08.png
Yeah, T-27 seconds is when the RSLS stops if it doesn't get the "LPS Go For Auto Sequence" signal from the GLS, which suggests a LCC<-->OV connection issue. The reason is posted in the Orbiter.log file.
How is the frame rate at the start? It could be very low due to the loading of terrain. That could be causing the signal to be delayed enough to trigger this cutoff... it seems a stretch, but that's my best theory so far. Try starting the sim paused, as it should gain you a few seconds of terrain loading before starting the sim, and thus allowing the signals to "flow better".
Maybe I should change that T-31 scenario option to T-40 or something... :unsure:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
About the entry texture, honestly I'm not interested in changing anything... seems too much work, too much "duct-tape" for a visual that , IMHO, will never look OK.
I'd be very interested in having the "heat glow", both in the tiles/RCC and the engines, but I don't thing that is (fully) implemented in D3D9 (or some other graphics engine).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
About the entry texture, honestly I'm not interested in changing anything... seems too much work, too much "duct-tape" for a visual that , IMHO, will never look OK.
I'd be very interested in having the "heat glow", both in the tiles/RCC and the engines, but I don't thing that is (fully) implemented in D3D9 (or some other graphics engine).
Well, it kind of is, Felix24 was working on something a few years back: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/d3d9client-development.16787/post-580404

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's what the log says:

(SSV_LCC) [INFO] RS Countdown Hold Flag is on @ T-26.990
000016.869: (SSV_LCC) [INFO] LPS Go For Auto Seq Start Hold
000016.869: (SSV_LCC) [INFO] Cutoff

Hmm, there is definitely a slight period of low framerate right at startup, ~20 fps or so for half a second then jumps up to 60. I tried the start paused trick but it still happens.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Here's what the log says:

(SSV_LCC) [INFO] RS Countdown Hold Flag is on @ T-26.990
000016.869: (SSV_LCC) [INFO] LPS Go For Auto Seq Start Hold
000016.869: (SSV_LCC) [INFO] Cutoff

Hmm, there is definitely a slight period of low framerate right at startup, ~20 fps or so for half a second then jumps up to 60. I tried the start paused trick but it still happens.
20 is beyond ok, I was expecting something extreme like less than 1 for several seconds...
Can you post the log, so I can check for other errors or missing entries?

Does it happen with the "Launch Test" scenario, or the 2 or 3 other T-31 scenarios included in SSV?

Are you running Orbiter 2016 and SSV 1.7, or something else?

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
20 is beyond ok, I was expecting something extreme like less than 1 for several seconds...
Can you post the log, so I can check for other errors or missing entries?

Does it happen with the "Launch Test" scenario, or the 2 or 3 other T-31 scenarios included in SSV?

Are you running Orbiter 2016 and SSV 1.7, or something else?

I had the log already attached to my previous post, or do you mean something else? It does not happen with the Launch Test scenario, it seems to just happen on scenarios I create with the ME. I am running Orbiter 2016 and SSV 1.7.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I had the log already attached to my previous post, or do you mean something else?
Oh, I'm sorry, I only noticed the text... 🤦‍♂️

It does not happen with the Launch Test scenario, it seems to just happen on scenarios I create with the ME.
Ok, try opening ME, Ctrl-N, to create a new STS-101, save it, and then export a T-31s scenario of that, and check what happens please.