General Question Space station construction in Orbiter 2010?

Onforty

Reaction score
Yeah, hey guys, i kinda started playing again. First time i posted here i was already a long time Orbiter user, but.. i was also 12. Suprising you had the patience for a stupid 12 year old that thinks he is a space engineer :D Im 15 now.

Anyway, time passed, the new 2010 came, and i love Dan's new addons, UCGO and UMMU, freaking love them, they add alot of extra to the game, and with that UCGO&UMMU version of ISS, i can fly to ISS with actual supplies, and i can also be a crazy ass and eat lots of food on ISS then throw all the trash at MIR if i wanted to. So thats funny, i recently discovered the function of the Dragonfly, its suprinsingly entertaining to push space station modules around. However, just using normal modules and nodes kinda suck, i wanted to download something new, but that space station building blocks addon on Orbithangar is kinda old, and isnt it incompatible with 2010? Anyway, here the question:

Is there an updated version of thoose building blocks? I would really like a 2010 building blocks addon with UCGO and UMMU support, also is there any alternative to the Dragonfly? Mine suddenly started crashing all the time and i dont want to set up life-support and manage freaking hydrogen fuel cells all the time.

Also, power distribution? I think it would be cool to dock that dragonfly to my custom station and draw power from solar cells wich i just made George Melons the space greif- no technician deploy.

Also i know this isnt here(yet), internal navigation of spacecraft with crew, i would love to float around in ISS like in that "a day on the iss" video on youtube, or maybe see how gory things go when Urist McSpaceIdiot forgets his seatbelt.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Hello! If you don't want to use the SSBB, you might want to try the realistic (if not real) modules found here.

Some of those are spacecraft 3 vessels, but you can convert them to modules with artlav's tool [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5177"]here[/ame]. You might want to do this for a number of reasons, such as simplifying their loading into Orbiter (since you won't have to manually edit the scenario, but could use the scenario editor), or adding UMMU capability.

Regarding the dragonfly: to push modules around I use Kulch's Tranzit tug [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1292"]here[/ame], which also compensates automatically for the cg shift due to the docked module, to a certain extent.

Hope this has been useful!

Onforty

Reaction score
Hello! If you don't want to use the SSBB, you might want to try the realistic (if not real) modules found here.

Some of those are spacecraft 3 vessels, but you can convert them to modules with artlav's tool here. You might want to do this for a number of reasons, such as simplifying their loading into Orbiter (since you won't have to manually edit the scenario, but could use the scenario editor), or adding UMMU capability.

Regarding the dragonfly: to push modules around I use Kulch's Tranzit tug here, which also compensates automatically for the cg shift due to the docked module, to a certain extent.

Hope this has been useful!

Thanks! That was really helpful. After some poking around i got SSBB working, i havent tried it completely yet but thoose scenarios work, i also fixed the CTD by starting in Windows XP SP3 compatability mode.

Also i will try out that tool, sadly i already installed the SSBB without converting it first. Anything i can do other than starting over with the install? Will that tool really allow me to put Tech George Melons into that horrible glued together piece of wreckage i threw into a far orbit?
Also, for UCGO, does there exist any module for space stations like a cargo array or something? Or will the tool also add that?

How do i use the tool?

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
I'll add a second recommendation for those space station modules at Francophone. Most of my stations use one or more of them.

I also use bits and pieces from the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3085"]Mir-2 (pr. 1993) V.1.1[/ame] addon. Most of the components from that addon are also Spacecraft3, but I have to perform much of my scenario editing by hand anyway to set up launch vehicles.

The Crew Transfer Vehicle - Pegase addon from Francophone also includes Viking modules: a hab module, two labs, and a couple of Soyuz-type mating adapters. Those modules are also Spacecraft3. (One of these days I will actually get around to building an ESA section with those)

Lately I've been using the Zarya from Thorton's excellent ISS v3.2 as a building block.

For the actual building process I use Tranzit, an uprated Kvant tug from one of the Mir addons (I'll have to look at my installation to figure out which one), and Universal RMS.

:tiphat:

diogom

Reaction score
Also, you might want to try [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4256"]First Person Experience[/ame] to move inside spacecraft.

Chub777

Reaction score
You could also download [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3168"]this[/ame] to simplify the Dragonfly. As for space station modules, [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2857"]this addon[/ame] contains lots of modules.

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
As for space station modules, this addon contains lots of modules.

I use a handful of the CBM-to-Zarya/Soyuz docking adapters from that addon. Absolutely essential for any of my projects. :yes:

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Also, for UCGO, does there exist any module for space stations like a cargo array or something?

Universal Cargo Deck will allow you to attach anything to anything. Spawn one into a session and attach it to one of your station modules, then add pre-existing cargo to the slots via ScenarioEditor. :thumbup:

Question for anybody that knows:

Will Universal Cargo Deck allow us to load cargo into it with an RMS?

Tycho

Reaction score
Will Universal Cargo Deck allow us to load cargo into it with an RMS?

Well, I suppose that one could maneuver the cargo in question to the module using the RMS, but I think you'd ultimately have to use the attachment manager in scenario editor. Not quite sure though.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
What I forgot to say: Artlav's tool obviously only converts SC3 spacecraft into .dll modules. It can't be used to modify config based vessels such as most SSBB modules, but it is useful for the animated SSBBs, such as solar panels and radiators, which are indeed based on spacecraft3. :) Sorry for not pointing this out!

Onforty

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

Now i got XR2 and 5 with UCGO cargo platforms and more, universal cargo thing, and all that jazz, i also got that Airbus thing, wich i am planning to attach a delta-glider to, in attempt to conserve fuel for a lunar transfer or something. For now i just want to bring stuff into space and piece it together. I can load alot of station modules and two UCGO platforms into it, and with a folded dragonfly i dont need to do an approach to my station, because i honestly dont know nothing about space navigation since i havent got to the ISS yet, i dont really trust the autopilot neither my own intution. It feels so hopeless, as if the gods of random haggle for the souls of theese poor people in my spacecrafts, hopeless.:hailprobe: