Spacecraft personifications

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Pictures are coming, but meanwhile, I have very incomplete profiles for a bunch of ships. I think it's important to consider the personality when envisioning the girl...also, it can be quite entertaining to see what kind of character they end up being.

First, the STS family. And what a family they are...reminds me of watching Minami-ke.

OV-104 Atlantis

• Needs help to achieve her goals- from both the shuttle stack and the LON shuttles
  • She has her secrets...(classified missions)
  • Gentle touch- slow and skillful movements with RMS ("Made in Canada"), checks for damage with OBSS (A small mirror)
  • Strong for her size- although she doesn't look it, she is extremely heavy and can lift more than anyone around, even offering to help lift for others
  • Actually cares about the laws of physics
  • Worst fears: budget cuts, sitting on the pad during a thunderstorm, foam falling on her face, death somehow at high DynP, MMOD, and The Faking Hoaxer
  • Favourite movie: Armageddon (for the lulz, any more?)
  • Knows a lot of music (does anyone know what her first song was? Her first mission was STS-51-J and that was classified, I don't know if it even had wake-up calls.)

OV-101 Enterprise

• Dreams of spaceflight- liked to sit on the stack and pretend she could fly
  • Liked rides on the 747 SCA and Approach/Landing Tests
  • Thinks she is better than OK-TVA and OK-GLI, and thinks the STS is better than Energia-Buran (Wrong! IMO at least)
  • Trek fan
  • Favourite movies: Wrath of Khan, Moonraker (Any more? Other trek movies?)
  • Fearless and naive; has seen no scary spaceflight experiences, no fear of budget cuts, favoured Orion and Constellation, and believes in the power of write-in campaigns
  • In addition to believing in petitioning, she is also an patriotic American (she was almost named Constitution but renamed through a petition)
  • Has softer and fairer skin than the operational orbiters, since she has never been through a reentry
  • "I have a tailcone. Your argument is invalid."
  • Now sits in the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Centre in Virginia. She's the main attraction next to Jetfire, and is happy being admired by wide-eyed kids who are like she once was (BTW, you should come visit us sometime).

STS SRBs

• Phoenix twins
  • Energetic, youthful, and sometimes unpredictable, cannot be stopped
  • Love to go fast; they enjoy skydiving, parachuting, and swimming
  • [Right SRB] did feel guilty about loss of Challenger, but they're over that- now they always blame ET for everything
  • High-maintenance- must always be clean
  • Favoured Sidemount SDLV and Ares I

STS ET (SLWT)

• Always cold, even when she's not actually being refrigerated
  • Constantly dieting to stay Super-Lightweight enough
  • Guilty about loss of Columbia- the 3 remaining orbiters try to comfort her, but the SRBs don't help at all
  • Wants her own engines- admired the Energia booster design, favoured DIRECT and Ares V
  • They all tell her she looked pretty in white, but she insists, she's thinner in orange...
Also, I think the Sidemount SDLV/not Shuttle-C will be a backpack. Challenger might also be an interesting character (since she's made of spare parts), also that ET that was damaged by Katrina. If I want to do a comic or something I'd also want Energia-Buran, they have a lot of character. Still not sure where to start with the OV design...

These below still need a lot of work (help). The only one I really know through experience is DGIV, and yet somehow I can't come up with a clear personality for her. I guess her character is not nearly as exaggerated as the XR2. I'm pretty sure that if all the ships were in their own story, XR2 would be the protagonist. :)

Also, Mk II and G42 are not nearly done yet, let's see what we can come up with as they progress...

And note there are a bunch missing, because I have absolutely no idea about them. Help me! And feel fee to come up with some for "Heavy Metal", XR0, XR1, XR5, Shuttle-A, DG, DG-S...

Dragonfly

• Lightweight but modest
  • Holds trademark Attitude Ball
  • Doesn't believe that the DG is the strongest (which is true)
  • Actually cares about the laws of physics
  • Likes to move stuff but doesn't like to be carried (she's too big!)

DGIV-2

• A bit cryptic (autopilot codes)
  • Smarter, quieter, more sane, and less brutally powerful than XR1/DG
  • Insists that the Arrow bay was made for her (not true)
  • Less talkative than XR2 (but not exactly the quiet type...IDK, help me out here)
  • Celebrates a bunch of holidays
  • Seen in many different outfits (or at least colours)
  • Selfless- puts the captain above all (EJECT!!!)

XR2 Mk II

• Younger sister but is more advanced and more powerful- causes Mk I's S Complex
  • More streamlined and elegant than Mk I
  • Can stand in her full-length heels, graceful landings with compressible gear
  • Favourite movies: Stargate, Cool Hand Luke (Need different ones...)
  • "I have a tailcone. Your argument is invalid.
G42 Starliner

• Helpful, offers to carry payloads
  • Much more gentle reentry than even XR2 Mk II
  • Accepts suggestions well
  • Open and not secretive at all (open source)
  • The odd one out, and the "new kid" (especially to XR2)
  • Favourite movie: ...
...Moach, what is your favourite movie? :)

Help me out with these, Orbiter-Forum! I'm drawing for free here!

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

New pics are in!
Forum killed the quality though...

Homage to SpaceShipTwo's Galaxy Girl:
picture.php

Cleaned:
picture.php

She can't stand up...
picture.php

Cleaned for inking:
picture.php

Unfortunately, I've been neglecting my Rotring technical pens in favour of Sumi brushes recently, and it seems they've disappeared on me. That's karmic redemption by inanimate object gods, I suppose. So no ink until I find them, or decide to use those cheaper Pilot office pens.

Anyway, for those who TL;DR'd on my last post, basically:

Need ideas for characters. Need Atlantis. Enterprise. Come to Udvar-Hazy Centre in VA. STS. XR5. DGIV. Dragonfly. Others. Moach what is your favourite movie. I'm drawing for free here. Help me Eirin!

to be

Reaction score
You are an excellent artist (far better than I'll even be anyway :) ) but frankly this thread is starting to get a bit disturbing. Several of the comments in this thread are not at the level I've come to expect from orbiter-forum. In short, this lacks class.

mc_

Reaction score

I think, :probe: approves it. She is really beautiful.

Some suggestions about Buran:
  • Loves classic, "old-school" and so on, wants to be like a space shuttle because of "i know she's good". (there was a lot of different and promising projects for Buran, but it was desided to make a space shuttle-style ship because of "we know it works")
  • Can be better, than anyone, but spends really a lot (Energia was a really high-cost launch vehicle)
  • Clever, independent, does not need anyone's help to make decisions (fully automatic flight).
  • doesn't matter, right- or left-handed (has two RMS)
  • Have been in space only once, dreams about flying again

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You are an excellent artist (far better than I'll even be anyway :) ) but frankly this thread is starting to get a bit disturbing. Several of the comments in this thread are not at the level I've come to expect from orbiter-forum. In short, this lacks class.

I was indeed afraid of this when I started to get comments like "KAWAII! I WANNA TAKE HER HOME!", and the "Anime" community is far below ours, but I assure you, this is to be done in the most tasteful manner possible. I am NOT, never have been, and never will be, a hentai artist.

The idea came from the same merit behind Virgin Galactic's Galaxy Girl, and will stay that way. It is NOT, I repeat, NOT a manifest for weeaboos to destroy Orbiter-Forum.

Oh yeah, sorry about the "Soyuz" joke. I thought it was funny at the time...

Thanks for the encouragement though! I will take it to heart, as the XR2 deserves only the best in quality anthropomorphization. Er, Anthropomorph...ation.:p

As for Buran, thanks! I'll start compiling that one now. I might poll for demand on the next one, there are so many to be done...

And good news. Found my pens! Good to have them back. Inking will commence!

:cheers:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm don't think the Challenger and Columbia accidents should be included in this. The idea of anthropormorpho...somthingifying (I don't think there is a correct spelling :lol:) is interesting, but turning disasters into jokes is too far.

Also, having spent a little bit of time in that 'lower-class' community (not too much, as I'm quite fond of my own nationality :shifty:) I see how it's a [understatement]bit[/understatement] disturbing, but I don't see any harm in this thread by itself. I don't think this is going to catch on, given the composition of this forum. In other words, AFAIK this is an isolated incident.

The art is excellent, though. No question there. :thumbup:

Looking forward to those inks!

P.S. If you want class from the Orbiter community, you should definitely take a look at the IRC channel some time. :lol:

Last edited:

Robsoie

Reaction score
I think that if i would anthropomorphize an Orbiter space ship into a woman, the first one and most logical that comes to mind considering my "very high skill" in landing anything that comes from orbit is Janet Leigh,
But Janet Leigh from the screaming scene in Hitchcock's Psycho, noticing on how way way way too fast the ground is approaching.

janetleighpsycho.jpg

Yes, would be exactly the reaction of every of my space ships if they were anthropomorphized, as it is already the reaction of any people sitting in the back in one of my ships.
:D

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm don't think the Challenger and Columbia accidents should be included in this. The idea of anthropormorpho...somthingifying (I don't think there is a correct spelling :lol:) is interesting, but turning disasters into jokes is too far.
No, not at all! I meant Challenger would be interesting because she was a structural test article (like the Buran's OK-TVA).

*edit: Warning, lengthy explaination of how the Orbiters are different. Skip if you already know.

When major parts of the design changed between the construction of Enterprise and Columbia, NASA decided it would be easier to build Challenger up from STA-099, a more basic structure, than disassemble the already-completed Enterprise and send all the parts back to their manufacturers. So, Enterprise was denied her place as an Orbital Vehicle, and OV-099 Challenger was born.
Actually, although they all look outwardly similar, all the Orbiters are different. Columbia was heavier because she had more tiles. Challenger was STA-099. Discovery and Atlantis are more-or-less the final design. Endeavour was made of spare parts of Discovery and Atlantis to replace Challenger (and again denied Enterprise a chance in orbit). Atlantis is retired, save the last LON mission- she bears an inscription commemorating her "first last flight." And they have all had different missions, with different crews, special cargo, classified payloads, and each their own share of problems.
The Orbiters are special among spacecraft. They aren't expendable, they aren't identical, and they aren't perfect.

I dedicate my personifications as a way to remember the individual orbiters after they are retired, and to remember those 14 crewmembers. In the case of those 14, their deaths should not be cast aside and forgotten.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Oh, you meant the profiles for the ET and SRBs? Yeah, maybe I'll remove those parts. Ignore what I said above, actually.

In other words, AFAIK this is an isolated incident.
[/QUOTE]
That's only in worst case scenario. In that case, keep calm and carry on.:cool:

But Janet Leigh from the screaming scene in Hitchcock's Psycho, noticing on how way way way too fast the ground is approaching.
Oh my god, I remember missing New Year 2009 because I was watching that movie!
What's that pneumonic to remember the VASI again? :lol:

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Found it! Finally!
So far, this is the only thing close to what I'm looking for. It's はやぶさ Hayabusa (MUSES-C):

Images tagged /hayabusa_(spacecraft) on Danbooru

and also, a 4koma comic series! It's a funny coincidence, the guy who did these also did "Touhou Tag Dream," an odd comic series about illusionary tag team wrestling. What a guy...

First comic
Pool of all comics in series

These links are ALL SAFE, and I did look at all of them, HOWEVER,
If posting links to Danbooru is unacceptable, please just delete the links. As far as I know, "inappropriate posting" only applies to the page, not the domain, and all forum users (actually, all internet users) should know to mind themselves when leaving a site.
Remember, Danbooru is an imageboard made by users, not a ecchi site.

cheerz:cheers:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:blink:
Japan, you never cease to surprise me. Truly nothing is safe.

I'm probably going to end up reading that comic later, though. :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
h_2.jpg

YES PERFECT! (link to more images)
http://administrators2.blog81.fc2.com/blog-entry-502.html (more details, Japanese)

Must have! :love:
The second page says it's planned to be available in September 2010 and should cost around 2940 JPY, Japan sales tax included (about 32 USD = 26 EUR = 22 GBP).
※Edit: You can pre-order it on Amazon! Price is 2625 JPY. They will stock 2010 November 25, and you can get the funny asteroid version or the Welcome Home version.

Translated info:
* Body size : 140mm = 5.51 in (I'm assuming this is the height of the figure from head to foot, minus the base)
* Boy (kind of a trap; the official JAXA site calls it Hayabusa-kun and refers as "he")
* Material: PVC/ABS
* Made in China
* Copyright しきしまふげん Sikisima Hugen (alternatively, Shikishima Fugen)

If you must have it outside Japan, you can use Tenso, which is basically a proxy in the postal system that redirects your package overseas.

Also, if anyone can find a decent B747, I can easily make the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft from that. I managed to recover my Pixiv account, but I can't seem to find a specific B747 there.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

If you scroll down to the comments on the second link, there's also Suisei+Sakigake and Kaguya! (not figures, just illustration) It's from a stand-alone book, 「現代萌え衛星図鑑」 (New Generation Moe Satellite Model: Orbital Pretty):
http://www.amazon.co.jp/現代萌衛星図鑑-しきしま-ふげん/dp/4861992060

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

The comic isn't done, by the way. Hayabusa just returned 3 days ago.

はやぶささんお帰りなさい! 良くできました!
Welcome home, Hayabusa-san! Well done!

It was a rough mission but he made it back.

And back on topic, I am still working on XR2. After getting Orbiter 2010 working I discovered that a lot of the design was wrong, but that's mostly fixed now. "She can't stand" is ready to scan.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After getting Orbiter 2010 working I discovered that a lot of the design was wrong, but that's mostly fixed now.
What exacly do you mean by that?
(I'm on my 32nd consecutive hour awake I think...lost count...so it might be obvious.)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What exacly do you mean by that?
(I'm on my 32nd consecutive hour awake I think...lost count...so it might be obvious.)

I was drawing mostly from memory, save a few grainy grayscale images, after the second image. Small things like SCRAM inlet shape, engine+wing shape, and (the big one) panel lines were wrong. But now that I'm back flying the XR2 in 2010 I saw all those and corrected them.

BTW, are you usually nocturnal or what? Your time is 1 hour ahead of mine (which would make it UTC-04:00 Atlantic time) and you are age 18 NEET, so I'd expect you to have a Yukarin-like sleep schedule. :lol:
And sorry for :probe:ing, but what were you doing, awake 32 hours?!
More solar system grand tour?

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, come winter I'll be hibernating. ;)

I've been doing lots of stuff, actually. Work yesterday (yes, I have a job now, so I've lost the NEET title), OFMM manual-writing, plain old writing-writing, and yes, Orbiter-playing (though not the tour...that's been neglected.) I could go for a Yukarin-scale nap right about now, though...I guess you could call me a binge-sleeper. :rofl:

On topic, don't worry too much about accuracy. You're turning a space-ship into a woman, for goodness' sake. :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
On topic, don't worry too much about accuracy. You're turning a space-ship into a woman, for goodness' sake. :lol:
You've haven't yet begun to know my OCD... :shifty:

Anyway, one thing and three more things.

The one- She can't stand, finally inked. The parts that were "wrong" are still in this one.
picture.php

And now for something completely different:
picture.php
picture.php

If you know anything about the anything, it should take you all of 5 seconds to figure out which ones they are.
Bonus points depending on what tipped you off first.

Warning:trivial details ahead, take notice...

I must have erased every line at least twice. The first doesn't look like they can move their legs...the aft section is supposed to be some kind of stretch material with panels, but that's not obvious. On the second one I did a better job there but the bay doesn't really fit (and the head somehow got to be 1/6 the body proportion). Only 2 SSME, unfortunately, couldn't really fit 3 anywhere. But unlike the XR2, there's a good amount of, to borrow a term, kibble. You'll see the nose cone hanging off and the EMU suit gloves and LCVG in there- it's kind of a mess but that'll be fixed.
If you look at it though, you can see the entire orbiter, minus the cockpit windows (they would make it too small)!
One thing I can't really do anything about is the gear; since the Shuttle launches heads-down and the underside is just tiles, I made her face heads-down, but the orientation is weird for landing...

...Done!

OK, and the last thing:
picture.php

Tanks are on the back, no shoes 'cause she's got no main engine, minimal structure so minimal coverage, but I'm not sure where to put all those trusses. I seem to have exaggerated all the smaller details, but no truss. Also no space for logos, and she might have too little coverage for safety... :rolleyes:
(Sorry "to be", I promise I won't show much more than that; no matter your definition of "safe", there will always be a threshold of decency.)

Also, halfway through I realised I had been unconsciously drawing a certain Kappa named of a certain furniture store...I guess she somehow fit my image of the vessel? :lol:

The designs will definitely change so please do give your feedback as to where they will go.

cheerz:cheers:

Last edited:

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
The RMS on the Shuttle is cool (that is the RMS, right?). But what's the third one supposed to be?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The RMS on the Shuttle is cool (that is the RMS, right?). But what's the third one supposed to be?
The Dragonfly tug that ships with Orbiter. You know, the one no one ever likes to use for some reason? (Although, it's the ship that I got my first 5 hours of EVA done with.)

Oddly enough, that kappa is what I saw on my first glance at the picture. It's the expression, I think.

What tipped me off first? Gee, maybe the 'Atlantis' written on the right one's wing? :rofl:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hm? The RMS is her right arm, the thing she's holding is the OBSS (a small mirror). I've actually decided it's going to say "Made in Canada", since it's made out of parts of Canadarm1.
Unless you meant the third image.

Answer:
˙ǝqnʇ ʇoʇıԀ ˙ǝsou ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooʃ :ǝuo ƃıq ǝɥ⊥
ɯɹɐ ʇɟǝʃ uo 101 :ɹǝqɯnᴎ
¡ƎWSS oᴎ
ɐıqɯnʃoↃ sǝʇɐuıɯıʃǝ sǝuıɥɔ ʞɔɐʃq ɟo ʞɔɐʃ 'sɐǝɹɐ ʞɔɐʃq ǝʃʇʇıʃ :SԀ⊥
ƃuıʍ ʇɥƃıɹ uo ∀S∩ :ǝɯǝɥɔs ʇuıɐԀ
sıɥʇ ǝɯnssɐ pʃnoɔ noʎ :ǝuoɔʃıɐ⊥
:ʎɐʍɐ ʇı ǝʌıƃ pʃnoɥs sƃuıɥʇ ʍǝɟ ∀
ǝsıɹdɹǝʇuƎ 101-ᴧO s,ʇI :ɹǝʍsu∀​

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
˙ǝqnʇ ʇoʇıԀ ˙ǝsou ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooʃ :ǝuo ƃıq ǝɥ⊥ ɯɹɐ ʇɟǝʃ uo 101 :ɹǝqɯnᴎ ¡ƎWSS oᴎ ɐıqɯnʃoↃ sǝʇɐuıɯıʃǝ sǝuıɥɔ ʞɔɐʃq ɟo ʞɔɐʃ 'sɐǝɹɐ ʞɔɐʃq ǝʃʇʇıʃ :SԀ⊥ ƃuıʍ ʇɥƃıɹ uo ∀S∩ :ǝɯǝɥɔs ʇuıɐԀ sıɥʇ ǝɯnssɐ pʃnoɔ noʎ :ǝuoɔʃıɐ⊥ :ʎɐʍɐ ʇı ǝʌıƃ pʃnoɥs sƃuıɥʇ ʍǝɟ ∀ ˙ǝsıɹdɹǝʇuƎ 101-ᴧO s,ʇI :ɹǝʍsu∀
Argh, it's upside-down! For a second I thought it was Cyrillic. :lol:
(Luckily I'm on a laptop so it wasn't much of an issue to just turn the thing around.)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Dragonfly tug that ships with Orbiter.
Oh, the third one.
Oddly enough, that kappa is what I saw on my first glance at the picture. It's the expression, I think.
I like the way you think. :thumbup:
What tipped me off first? Gee, maybe the 'Atlantis' written on the right one's wing? :rofl:
:lol: I meant the left. Answers to the second (weird-proportioned) one are upside-down above.

Ah! You're fast! Missed your post twice!

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------
picture.php
Nitori_MOF.png

l_yuo_netlab_01.jpg
20090616031255.jpg

Oh my god. Koishi this is all your fault.

※If you don't get it:
My Dragonfly personification turned out to look like Kawashiro Nitori, the kappa.
Amazingly, someone else invented this girl, also a personification, also based on Nitori.
What is she a personification of?
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonious_society"]River Crab.[/ame]

:blink:

---------- Post added Jun 17th, 2010 at 01:16 ---------- Previous post was Jun 16th, 2010 at 23:58 ----------

Oh, no way! Just found this accidentally. I like the OBSS as a camera phone! :lol:
Anyway, here's mine:
picture.php

Last edited: