Problem Spacecraft Select Causing Crash

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Well this is annoying. The orbiter install that was working just fine yesterday is today crashing when I attempt to select another spacecraft from the menu.

I haven't reinstalled the full program yet, although I did replace the Orbiter executable from the most recent downloaded zip file.

It's a little late tonight for extensive troubleshooting, but I was wondering if anybody has seen this problem before and can tell me what's going on, before I wipe and reinstall the full program tomorrow (and reload drivers, etc.).

Running WinXP with an Nvidia 8800 video card, most recent drivers, nothing changed since yesterday when it was running fine.

:(

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
This usaly happens if something in the scenario is wrong.
Post the log file and try one the standard scenarios.

Tommy

Reaction score
This seems to be even more prevalent if you are loading a "quicksave". I've noticed that the XR series especially has problems loading from a quicksave. I suspect that since Orbiter seems to handle quicksaves differently than exiting the scenario it's something to do with that. Try loading a "stock " scenario that uses only "stock" vessels/MFDs, and see if the problem occurs. Then try loading a "current scenario" from an exit using only stock vessels, etc. The more you can narrow down what circumstances cause the problem he better we can diagnose the problem. Also check to see if you've run Windows Update, or upgraded/changed anything to do with DirectX or video drivers.

This can also be caused by a MFD that was open in the vessel you attempted to switch to if that vessel didn't have focus when you saved or exited.

Last edited:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, all scenarios are affected, both custom and stock. A fresh test install into a different folder doesn't have the issue, so I suppose I'll just wipe and rebuild. Won't be so bad, since I use a Mod handler to keep things organized.

I am still curious about how I corrupted the original though, so that I don't do it again.

A (pardon the leetspeak) noob question: Since orbiter exits suddenly it generates no crash log. The standard Windows XP "this program has encountered an error" dialog box tells me the location of a txt file that should include all the error information -- but when I look in the folder specified I find no such file. So where is this file, or how do I make it generate one so that I might post it?

Oh, and the last scenarios I was playing with were using all the "Universal" Mods (UMMUFA, RMS and such). I was also experimenting with the Remote Vessel Handler for the first time, and of course running Orulex and the Total Immersion VC for the Descartes, with the XR2 in the scenario with it all.

Now that I think about it, I kind of amazed that it took so long to crash with all that...

;)

Thanks again for the help!