Request Spaceplane addon request. "Haley"

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
EndeavourCmdr said:
maybe the same "magic" engines that the Deltaglider, DGEx, XR5 etc use? Lol, seriously though, I'm not actually building the dang thing. It's hypothetical, within realistic limitations. It's not "antimatter" powered and it doesn't use hover engines. I'd say I'm giving it some reasonable thought.

That's solves much problems :p

BTW. Recently when I was designing my shuttle (seen above) I've done some calculations and it turned out Delta Glider is even lighter than it's volume equivalent in liquid hydrogen (~50g/cubic meter). :p

EndeavourCmdr

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well that's no good. Give me a break though =/ Its a design. No one said it was perfect. And like I said, by argument sake, look at the DG... a default spacecraft with Orbiter, but by no means "realistic". I'd say this design is more along the lines of realism. At the very least, it deserves some consideration as an addon, wouldn't you think? Either way, it looks cool! Lol

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

We could always just throw it on top of an SRB =P

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No one ever said the DG was realistic.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sure - it looks nice indeed (2 last versions are better than first IMO). Just crunch some numbers before actually making it into add-on.

I'm not nitpicking here but want know something more about your project. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Same here... artistic freedom has to be respected, but of course, the more realistic vessels are also more fun to play once you get out of the orbital kindergarten.

EndeavourCmdr

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sure - it looks nice indeed (2 last versions are better than first IMO). Just crunch some numbers before actually making it into add-on.

When i get home, I'm going to do just that. Do a little research into the types of materials that she might be constructed from to get an idea of size, weight, stress and heat tolerances, etc..

Then I'll do a little more research into rocket engines, and oxidizer/fuel combinations for Isp.

I'll crunch some stuff, and then I guess I'll try my hand at a 3D model. I'm actually pretty good in Rhinoceros 3D, but I have absolutely NO idea how to apply textures or texture maps, so someone will need to give me a hand with that when it gets to that point.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This thread is one of the many reasons why I love this forum. :)

I'm very much looking forward to seeing your project get off the ground. Looks great so far! :thumbup:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When i get home, I'm going to do just that. Do a little research into the types of materials that she might be constructed from to get an idea of size, weight, stress and heat tolerances, etc..

Then I'll do a little more research into rocket engines, and oxidizer/fuel combinations for Isp.

I'll crunch some stuff, and then I guess I'll try my hand at a 3D model. I'm actually pretty good in Rhinoceros 3D, but I have absolutely NO idea how to apply textures or texture maps, so someone will need to give me a hand with that when it gets to that point.

A 3-view will make it easier to make a 3D model.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Same here... artistic freedom has to be respected, but of course, the more realistic vessels are also more fun to play once you get out of the orbital kindergarten.

There's a lot of room for different levels of "realism" between Deltaglider and SSU. :thumbup: And most of them are at least as realistic as an Orbinaut actually getting out of his current solar orbit. :lol:

I guess that's why I like the configurable ISP on the XR-x series. You can make it as difficult as you want it to be. DGIV has 4 settings and the default has "only" 2. I wish more developers would consider a user defined ISP.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'll consider this feature in my Shuttle Replacement project. However I'll keep realistic settings as default.

stack-new02.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think you can in many situations enable and disable some feature sets (not individual features) for customizing difficulty... eg different grades of navigation or different grades of failure complexity.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Props for trying to make a realistic spaceplane:thumbup:
It takes a lot of smarts and commitment to try something like this. I have a decent amount of the former, but very little of the latter:lol:

I am of the personal opinion that an SSTO is not impossible, but that we are not quite there yet. We've got the concepts down, and we're cranking out some of the materials needed, but our technology will have to advance just a tad before a real one is built;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Spaceplane addon? Again? Another one?..

The more, the merrier. We also have many capsules, at least one SSTO VTOVL... why complain about diversity? We lack a intergalactic battlecruiser robot, of course.