Launch News SpaceX DM-2 Launch Scheduled for May 27!

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Here in Cocoa, typical Florida weather, we had T-storms to the west last night and afternoon showers are expected later today. Bertha isn’t helping things, not holding my breath for today.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Apparently nobody else is talking about it, so I'll just say it: those suits look silly.
The astronauts look like they are going to work inside an industrial oven or something... :uhh:

bcbarnes

Reaction score
Am I the only one that feels a bit 'let down' by all of this? It's been almost 60 years since we first put a human being into earth orbit, and the only technological advance we have to show for it is re-usability. Don't get me wrong - I think it is great that we are doing this, I just think it should have come a long time ago.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I think everyone is too embarrassed for them. Maybe its Elon's own design and nobody will tell him they are c**p?

For GLS above.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The astronauts look like they are going to work inside an industrial oven or something...

Well, they're essentially going to work on top of one... that might explode.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well, they're essentially going to work on top of one... that might explode.

But they don't need the suit to survive that particular device.... :shrug:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Apparently nobody else is talking about it, so I'll just say it: those suits look silly.

It's the colour. If they'd been orange like the LES suits then I think it would look better but they look like onsies with gardening boots and a crash helmet.

Am I the only one that feels a bit 'let down' by all of this? It's been almost 60 years since we first put a human being into earth orbit, and the only technological advance we have to show for it is re-usability. Don't get me wrong - I think it is great that we are doing this, I just think it should have come a long time ago.

Space is hard. And expensive - personal opinion, this is a big step forward. What America really needs is to be keep inventing a new space vehicle every x years but to stick with one and improve it like the soviets have. Now they have SpaceX and boeing providing services. That means that they have two options to get to the ISS and into Earth orbit. Build on that and hopefully things will move.

richfororbit

Reaction score
^Sure and people forget that so easily, just like it would be an achievement to land one mission on the Moon with Astronauts. Anything else is always dreaming, and that is where it goes wrong, it is always dreaming. We do this because can, and not that because we can't at the moment.

Like Mr Zubrin, the guy who setup Mars society, always talking of landing Astronauts, but never about orbital missions, or testing that hardware out first. And making that the mission goal. Not Captain Picard, or Kirk, as he said decades ago, when really he was just doing that, just not in a star ship, small circular objects.

The outfits are out of the ordinary, strange.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The suits look more like racing suits. Maybe they would look better with Beer sponsors.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I just think it should have come a long time ago.
Well, it's the first time we are doing it right.
If you look at the early spaceflight concepts, rockets were supposed to be reusable.

The original mistake was adapting missiles for launch vehicles.
That allowed for faster access to space, but got us on the wrong path.

So I'm very excited ! :thumbup:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I want to see, if this capsule will be used to test the super dracos, for dry land landings soon.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I want to see, if this capsule will be used to test the super dracos, for dry land landings soon.
AFAIK, land landings using the SDs went the way of FH propellant interconnect (AKA dead) when NASA wouldn't pay for the certification, so ocean landings it is.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry, should have specified. I'm talking about Cargo missions.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
If you open Nasa's main feed and their media feed in separate windows, you get a nice dual-aspect view of the crew!

Attachments

• dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 23

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The astronauts look like they are going to work inside an industrial oven or something... :uhh:

I agree. In general, the entire aesthetic of American spaceflight lately is not to my liking.
Take these new official crew portraits for example:
360px-Sunita_Williams_in_2018.jpg
360px-Michael_S._Hopkins_in_2018.jpg
358px-Douglas_Hurley_in_2018.jpg

Arms crossed / on the hips in an offensive look. I want more of the good old friendly portraits. I believe the new aesthetic is a bit unfriendly, overly "badass" and frankly quite silly.
The spacesuits also seem more like taken out of a comic than something to be wore for a scientific endeavor.
[end everything-was-better-in-the-past rant]

While I also don't quite feel the excitement that I wish I would have, I recognize that this is the start of a new era, and hopefully something that will help us to the Moon and beyond.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What I'm missing on the suits are name badges.