Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.2 with JCSAT-14 NET 5 May 2016

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After taking a look back at the 1st stage landings from CRS-8 and OG-2 missions (both about 30s burn), this mission's burn was less than half that. So, I guess it was three engines(at least in part). Have to try it in Orbiter to get my head around how that works. Apologies to Mr.Musk for doubting the precision of his tweets.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

I so want to see a picture of a hangar full of used Falcon 9 stages in all their burned-in glory.

Wish granted!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFcFBzgF8WY/?hl=en

13181248_1143617585688967_1708179591_n.jpg

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I really don't see how they're going to fly this particular stage again. Engine section looks completely ruined.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I really don't see how they're going to fly this particular stage again. Engine section looks completely ruined.

Just a bit of WD40... and duct tape.... lots of it....

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The JCSAT-14 stage is the one in the middle. The one to left is the CRS-8 stage while the one the right is the OG-2 stage. They removed and sent the OG-2 M1Ds back to McGregor that's why they're missing on the OG-2 stage.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Hm? Looks disassembled to me.

Yea, that's the OG2 core. I'm talking about JCSAT-14's core. Look at how extensive the burning is around the engines. Maybe it's repairable, but it'll definitely cost $$$.

(photo from NSF)

index.php

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yea, that's the OG2 core. I'm talking about JCSAT-14's core. Look at how extensive the burning is around the engines. Maybe it's repairable, but it'll definitely cost $$$.

(photo from NSF)

index.php
That's normal charring. SpaceX has coated the base with an ablative. Sure, they have to replace the ablative but I'm sure that they have taken this in account.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

It appears you're right, relegated to ground testing.

Attachments

• LatestRocket.jpg
    LatestRocket.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 40

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's still amazing that they get the option to forensically disassemble a booster that launched a GTO payload. I assume they will learn new things to make the process more robust and safer for future missions. Go SpaceX!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

(photo from NSF)

I'm not sure we're seeing the same photo. It looks to be in good shape to me considering the roasting it has seen. I may be too hardened to this stuff as I used to work in combustion and I have seen some really crazy burned up stuff (e.g. steel beams turned to roasted taffy) This does not strike me as "crazy burned up stuff".

I'm sure they'll dissect it and find some things that need beefing up, but overall doesn't look bad at all to me.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Here is video of it on the trailer. That's what a rocket should look like. :thumbup: