OHM SpaceX Mission Package (2016-present)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, using those coordinates for OCISLY and matching the 1st stage telemetry (it's nice of SpaceX to give us that now ), I get a 1st stage ballistic impact point just 1 or 2 km short of OCISLY. I see from the video that the 1st stage is still going ~Mach 4.5 even after the reentry burn (quite a lot faster than my simulation). I tried replicating that by doing a manual reentry burn and tried to "fly" the 1st stage closer to OCISLY but still couldn't quite make it - but it's fairly close.

I reckon the "real life" 1st stage is going faster after reentry and does more aerodynamic steering than my simulation.

If I allow a few more m/s velocity at 1st stage MECO, and if I start the "aerodynamic steering" phase earlier (immediately after reentry burn) I can probably get the simulation closer to "real life". I'll have to try tweaking the code a bit more ;-)

Thanks for the input, Kyle (y)
Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yep. I'm surprised it can withstand that kind of stress at all!

MexSpace

Reaction score
how do the plugins do what software do they use? is that I want to start making accessories but I don't know how

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
@BrianJ This is a bit of a niche request, but one thing I've noticed is that now we're on boosters flying their 9th flight is that they look considerably more sooty than a booster on their second or third flight. It would be cool to have some way to have two separate "sooty" Falcon 9 textures: one for boosters with less than 5 flights under their belt, one with boosters with more than 5 flights under their belt to show their progression as they fly more flights. B1049 and B1051 are almost completely black at this point.

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Kyle,
a 2nd "extra sooty" texture will be easier to implement than figuring out how to get the 1st stage to land on the ASDS after a "Starlink" launch type flight profile! If you have a texture, attach here or PM me, otherwise I'll do what I can. Might be a while before I can get around to it though, am currently trying to get SuperHeavy/Starship add-on operational.
Cheers,
Brian

MexSpace

Reaction score
Hola kyle
una segunda textura "extra de hollín" será más fácil de implementar que averiguar cómo hacer que la primera etapa aterrice en el ASDS después de un perfil de vuelo tipo "Starlink". Si tiene una textura, adjúntela aquí o envíeme un PM, de lo contrario haré lo que pueda. Sin embargo, podría pasar un tiempo antes de que pueda hacerlo, actualmente estoy tratando de que el complemento SuperHeavy / Starship esté operativo.
Salud,
Brian
SuperHeavy good

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
See attached for "extra sooty" F9 textures. Not including these in the scenario package for now.

OHM has been updated to include scenarios for the two most recent Starlink launches too.

Attachments

• 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 31
  • f9_hull_logo_char.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 15

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great! I'll take a look. I figure I'll add another line in the .cfg to specify "ExtraCharred" texture. Hope that is OK for you.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@BrianJ When will the superheavy add-on be ready? you already made me excited
I might have something simple but operational to play with in a week or so ;-)
But not with reentry or landing autopilots, probably.
Just something to see how she flies and test performance to LEO, etc.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Probably doesn't help when Elon tweets massive changes like "yeah we're going to catch Starship with the tower" on the weekly too lol.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Probably doesn't help when Elon tweets massive changes like "yeah we're going to catch Starship with the tower" on the weekly too lol.
Quite so! Although catching it might not be as hard to simulate as landing it precisely on the launch mounts (provided the tower has long enough arms!!). Anyway, my "beta" version will have fins/legs ;-)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I wonder how you could make that work in Orbiter - I guess you could define a docking port on the launch tower and on Starship? Or you could do what you do with the fairing recovery vessels once the fairing reaches the net.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Excuse me, how can I remove the boxes that appear above?
You mean the information display boxes in the top left and right corners?
Put this line in your Orbiter_NG.cfg (for D3D9 Graphics Client) file:
Code:
InfobarMode = 1
(0 = On, 2 = AutoHide)
See OrbiterConfig.pdf

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Alternatively you can move the mouse to the top center -so that the menu pops down- and right-click.
This opens the configuration dialog where you can set the screen options via a GUI.