SPACEX'S FALCON 9 ON LAUNCH PAD AT CAPE CANAVERAL

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
The Falcon 9 looks BEAUTIFUL ON THE PAD (BTW is it a 'he' or a 'she' in case of rockets? )!! .. Go SpaceX Go!!

SPACEX'S FALCON 9 ON LAUNCH PAD AT CAPE CANAVERAL
Launch vehicle selected by NASA to replace the cargo transportation function of the Space Shuttle conducts launch pad system checks in preparation for test flight later this year

Hawthorne, CA – (January 12, 2009) – Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX) announced its Falcon 9 launch vehicle was successfully raised to vertical on Saturday, January 10, 2009, at Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) in Cape Canaveral, Florida — two days ahead of schedule. This operation was a critical step in validating a variety of system interfaces and launch processes in preparation for the maiden flight of Falcon 9 later this year.

"Any engineered system has requirements that can only be recognized through actual assembly of real hardware," stated Brian Mosdell, Director of Florida Launch Operations for SpaceX. "This rapid integration and stand-up provided our engineers and technicians with invaluable insights that will greatly streamline our efforts towards the first Falcon 9 launch in 2009."
SpaceX completed the Falcon 9 vehicle integration in a horizontal position on December 30, 2008. After integration, Falcon 9 was lifted and mated to a transporter erector system, designed and built by SpaceX, which carried the 17 foot diameter, 180 foot long rocket to the launch pad. On January 10, 2009 at 12:45 PM EST, SpaceX began the process of raising Falcon 9 and approximately 30 minutes later, Falcon 9 stood vertical at the Cape.
"This entire process has helped us validate key interfaces and operations prior to executing our launch campaign with the vehicle in its final flight configuration," said Elon Musk , CEO and CTO of SpaceX. "We encountered no show-stoppers or significant delays. I am highly confident that we will achieve our goal of being able to go from hangar to liftoff in under 60 minutes, which would be a big leap forward in capability compared with the days to weeks required of other launch vehicles."

This latest accomplishment follows closely on a series of recent successes for SpaceX. In November 2008, SpaceX successfully conducted a full mission duration firing of Falcon 9, validating SpaceX's use of nine engines on the first stage, as well as the ability to shut down engines without affecting the remaining engines. In December 2008, NASA selected the Falcon 9 launch vehicle and Dragon spacecraft as the primary means of transporting cargo to and from the International Space Station after the Space Shuttle retires in 2010.

Photos and video of the Falcon 9 vertical operations can be found on our website at www.SpaceX.com .

About SpaceX
SpaceX is revolutionizing access to space by developing a family of launch vehicles and spacecraft intended to increase the reliability and reduce the cost of both manned and unmanned space transportation, ultimately by a factor of ten. With its Falcon line of launch vehicles, powered by internally-developed Merlin engines, SpaceX offers light, medium and heavy lift capabilities to deliver spacecraft into any altitude and inclination, from low-Earth to geosynchronous orbit to planetary missions. On September 28, 2008, Falcon 1, designed and manufactured from the ground up by SpaceX, became the first privately developed liquid fuel rocket to orbit the Earth, demonstrating that low cost and reliability can be coupled in commercial spaceflight.
As a winner of the NASA Commercial Orbital Transportation Services competition (COTS), SpaceX is in a position to help fill the gap in American spaceflight to the International Space Station (ISS) when the Space Shuttle retires in 2010. Under the existing Agreement, SpaceX will conduct three flights of its Falcon 9 launch vehicle and Dragon spacecraft for NASA, culminating in Dragon berthing with the ISS. SpaceX is the only COTS contender with the capability to return cargo and crew to Earth. NASA also has an option to demonstrate crew services to the ISS using the Falcon 9 / Dragon system.

NASA recently selected the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle and Dragon spacecraft for the International Space Station Cargo Resupply Services (CRS) contract award. The contract includes 12 flights between 2010 and 2015, which represents a guaranteed minimum of 20,000 kg to be carried to the International Space Station.

Founded in 2002, the SpaceX team now numbers more than 620 full time employees, located primarily in Hawthorne, California, with additional locations, including SpaceX's Texas Test Facility in McGregor near Waco; offices in Washington DC; and launch facilities at Cape Canaveral, Florida, and the Marshall Islands in the Central Pacific.

20080111_towerview.jpg

Photo Caption: View from high above the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it stands vertical on its pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida. The SpaceX team completed vehicle integration on December 30, 2008, and the new SpaceX-built transporter and erector system raised the 17 foot diameter, 180 foot long rocket to vertical via massive hydraulic cylinders.​
20080111_towersunset.jpg

Photo Caption: Sunset behind the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it stands vertical on its pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida.​
20080111_nightbacklit.jpg

Photo Caption: Moonrise behind the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it stands vertical on its pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida.​
20080111_moonset.jpg

Photo Caption: The full moon sets behind the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it stands vertical on its pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida.​
20080111_bluearrow.jpg

Photo Caption: Arc lights illuminate the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it stands vertical on its pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida.​
20080111_sunsetmoonrise.jpg

Photo Caption: Moonrise behind the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it stands vertical on its pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida.​

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the payload is, and when the launch will take place?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's already been taken down from the launch site. Payload is a student satellite, launch isn't for a while.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
anything with an engine is a she although to be honest i dont know why

its doesnt have a gender :hmm:

Any "vessel" is dubbed "she", goes back to the days of old sailing ships, which were crewed almost entirely by men, who wanted to think of the ship as their girl (and I guess it's better to be "inside" of an love a girl than a guy, so.... lol). It's since spread to airplanes, cars, etc, etc.

Personally I don't subscribe to it. My car is an agreesive beast with a menacing growl. While I like aggressive women, to a point, I don't like them THAT aggressive, strong, and testosterone laden, that's basically a guy at that point. lol And like the sailors of old, thinking of it as a guy is also a little weird. So I don't engender my vehicles. They are machines, and nothing more. They may have personalities at times, but that doesn't make them male or female. ...but I digress.....

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Went to the cape, just got back. Beautiful site to see the Falcon 9 out there.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious enough from the shape of the thing? :p

Tall and slender. Can't be anything other then female.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Arc lights? Did they pull it there with horses and use steam power to lift it too? :blink:
This is a little off-topic, but I couldn't resist...

Arc lamps are still widely used, particularly in the cinema industry, because of their excellent colour rendering. In a cinema application, the arc is typically contained in a xenon filled tube, as opposed to the air based lamps of old (that you are probably thinking of).

The lamps used on the launch pad by SpaceX are more likely to be metal halide lamps (I doubt they would be able to justify the cost of xenon arc lamps). Technically, these are arc lamps in the sense that there is still an arc between the two electrodes, but it is a highly evolved version of it that operates much more efficiently due to the exotic high pressure gas mix in the tube. Fluorescent tubes are also an arc lamp in the same sense, but again with an exotic low pressure gas mix and a phosphor coated arc tube. The colour rending of these gas discharge lamps is not as good but it comes with the benefit of much greater efficacy (visible light per watt).

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
This is a little off-topic, but I couldn't resist...

Arc lamps are still widely used, particularly in the cinema industry, because of their excellent colour rendering. In a cinema application, the arc is typically contained in a xenon filled tube, as opposed to the air based lamps of old (that you are probably thinking of).

The lamps used on the launch pad by SpaceX are more likely to be metal halide lamps (I doubt they would be able to justify the cost of xenon arc lamps). Technically, these are arc lamps in the sense that there is still an arc between the two electrodes, but it is a highly evolved version of it that operates much more efficiently due to the exotic high pressure gas mix in the tube. Fluorescent tubes are also an arc lamp in the same sense, but again with an exotic low pressure gas mix and a phosphor coated arc tube. The colour rending of these gas discharge lamps is not as good but it comes with the benefit of much greater efficacy (visible light per watt).

Yeah.... when I hear arclight I think of the intro to Connections. :lol:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sorry for gravedigging, but when exactly do they plan to launch this candle?
It's been standing at the Cape for a month with a tail, posed for pretty pictures, if their updates are to be believed.

Any approximations?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Probably October or November. the rocket may be sitting around looking pretty but from the rumors I've heard that's all it is capable of. Try and fly the thing and you'll get a pretty - but expensive - RSO detonation.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Sorry for gravedigging, but when exactly do they plan to launch this candle?
It's been standing at the Cape for a month with a tail, posed for pretty pictures, if their updates are to be believed.

Any approximations?
Ha. I don't blame you. I check their website every few days hoping for an update. ;)

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I think all it was for, was a fit check. They have fallen behind the manifest posted on the website.

Spicer

Reaction score
can't wait to see it happen! If it's like the other Falcon rockets we've seen. We're in for some fireworks at the Cape.

Does anyone know, do they intend to use fancy springs for separating the stages on this rocket too?

joiz

Reaction score
can't wait to see it happen! If it's like the other Falcon rockets we've seen. We're in for some fireworks at the Cape.

Does anyone know, do they intend to use fancy springs for separating the stages on this rocket too?
well, actually, no falcons have blown up, they just didn't work or catch fire or lose an engine. details, details.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I think all it was for, was a fit check. They have fallen behind the manifest posted on the website.

The mainifest is for vehicle to site ONLY and not launch.