Discussion SpaceX's Grasshopper RLV

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Have you really forgotten about the Space Shuttle so soon? The two SRB recovery ships R/V Liberty Star and R/V Freedom Star were not very far away from the predicted SRB splashdown sites, only 13 to 16 km distant.

I thought about 20-30 km. No I have not forgotten them. But you can't use them with that accuracy on the first flight of a new rocket, especially if it does such two maneuvers.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Have you really forgotten about the Space Shuttle so soon? The two SRB recovery ships R/V Liberty Star and R/V Freedom Star were not very far away from the predicted SRB splashdown sites, only 13 to 16 km distant.

And the SRB's were coming down on parachutes, but the Falcon 9 stage only uses its engines, if I understood it correctly. And I think you can safely assume that a parachute is an easier, safer, more reliable method that poses much less threat than a Falcon skydiving while thrusting.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I thought about 20-30 km. No I have not forgotten them. But you can't use them with that accuracy on the first flight of a new rocket, especially if it does such two maneuvers.
Actually you can. It's going to be ballistic for quite some time. The only thrusting will be when near impact to slow the stage down simulating a land landing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually you can. It's going to be ballistic for quite some time. The only thrusting will be when near impact to slow the stage down simulating a land landing.

It will be more or less strong tumbling through the atmosphere, you don't know how the turn around after second stage separation will work out, etc.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I wouldn't be shocked if they attempt a mile hop before too long.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
That is just too cool. If they can do a test with a controlled hover/splashdown of a real 1st stage and couple those results with these results, then they may be pretty close to bringing these stages home after launch.

My first instinct to this whole Grasshopper concept was "Yeah, right. Good luck with that." But I'm damned if they aren't actually getting it done!

Party on SpaceX! :headbang:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Come to think of it, is the Grasshopper testbed capable of flying a simulated mission (sans 2nd stage) in order to test the flyback capability? It would seem that flying with a partially filled stage with the engine throttled could get you to the point of stage separation with the correct amount of velocity, altitude, and fuel.

It would need to be a coastal launch of course.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
According to Musk, it was bracing against heavy wind

He just mentioned wind, he didn't say how heavy it was...

EDIT:

Also, this is a Hexacopter;

hexacopter.jpg

Welcome to the future. :blink:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Parabolic Arc: SpaceX to Test Grasshopper at Spaceport America:
Santa Fe, N.M. (NMSA PR) – Governor Susana Martinez today announced that Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, or SpaceX, has signed a three-year agreement to lease land and facilities at Spaceport America to conduct the next phase of flight testing for its reusable rocket program. The company will be a new tenant at Spaceport America, the state-owned commercial launch site located in southern New Mexico.

{...}

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
SpaceX is seriously considering setting up a Falcon spaceport and launch pad in Texas:

http://news.yahoo.com/coming-soon-spacex-rocket-launches-texas-spaceport-100838958.html

Reason I bring this up is that before they settled on the final version of STS, NASA once considered launching shuttles over the Gulf of Mexico in order to land the reusable first stage booster in Florida, which makes me wonder if SpaceX is considering that mode of operation. I'm not sure the Falcon 9 first stage actually has enough energy at seperation to make it that far.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
SpaceX is seriously considering setting up a Falcon spaceport and launch pad in Texas:

http://news.yahoo.com/coming-soon-spacex-rocket-launches-texas-spaceport-100838958.html

Reason I bring this up is that before they settled on the final version of STS, NASA once considered launching shuttles over the Gulf of Mexico in order to land the reusable first stage booster in Florida, which makes me wonder if SpaceX is considering that mode of operation. I'm not sure the Falcon 9 first stage actually has enough energy at seperation to make it that far.

Interesting idea. Thanks for that.

Bob Clark