Project Spiral mig-105

boby_nadeau

Reaction score
What's the maximum altitude of the TU50 ? I recently done a flight from KSC to Widewake and I reached a maximum altitude about 55 km high. The plane's trim was at its maximum (up 1.0) and I had difficulty to reach higher altitudes.

I'm asking this question because if the TU50 can't reach higher altitudes than 55 km, it will be difficult to get the MIG's orbit [in french: de mettre le MIG en orbite], isn't it ?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Depends more of the speed, also the Mig-105 is not launched "alone", but with a booster stage attached to it if I remember well...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
the project still lacks the second stage. It should be pretty easy to get into orbit with it from 35 km altitude.

boby_nadeau

Reaction score
Thanks for your rapid answer ! This project is very interesting because it is realistic and is well done.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Reentry shield effect with MODULATEALPHA and spot light
http://www.youtube.com/embed/HOnr1Af-X8A

Looks pretty, though I think you should fix the problem with the heating also appearing at the same time of the other side the vehicle. Also, you should remember that the air that flows past the vehicle gets heated much higher as the vehicle itself, there should be a visible pink/green plasma layer around the vehicle already before the tiles start to reach enough temperature to glow red.

The coarse rule of thumb is 0.995 of the energy remains in the air, only 0.5 percent enter the heat shield and heat it. Which is still a lot of energy, much less does actually travel through the heat shield and heat the structure.

When the heat shield glows red, it also does not cool down that fast, the heat is only transported away by radiation (most of it) and conduction to the air (a smaller part of it, especially in the less dense air at altitude). If your heat shield model does not have the temperatures between 110°C and 180°C right after landing, you are cooling too fast - or your heat shield has magical active cooling like the Deltagliders.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Looks great! I'm looking forward to this one.

marcogavazzeni

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiteritalia.forumotion.com
Looks pretty, though I think you should fix the problem with the heating also appearing at the same time of the other side the vehicle. Also, you should remember that the air that flows past the vehicle gets heated much higher as the vehicle itself, there should be a visible pink/green plasma layer around the vehicle already before the tiles start to reach enough temperature to glow red.

The coarse rule of thumb is 0.995 of the energy remains in the air, only 0.5 percent enter the heat shield and heat it. Which is still a lot of energy, much less does actually travel through the heat shield and heat the structure.

When the heat shield glows red, it also does not cool down that fast, the heat is only transported away by radiation (most of it) and conduction to the air (a smaller part of it, especially in the less dense air at altitude). If your heat shield model does not have the temperatures between 110°C and 180°C right after landing, you are cooling too fast - or your heat shield has magical active cooling like the Deltagliders.

then I start heating up the parameters of the shield, and slow the cooling rate, but how can I do?:idk:

double atmTemp = 0.5*(GetAtmDensity()*(GetAirspeed()*GetAirspeed()*GetAirspeed()));

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You mean 0,005% ? That makes a significant difference in your formula. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
then I start heating up the parameters of the shield, and slow the cooling rate, but how can I do?:idk:

double atmTemp = 0.5*(GetAtmDensity()*(GetAirspeed()*GetAirspeed()*GetAirspeed()));

That is already wrong - the formula is correct, but it does not give you temperature, but the so-called heat flux - the power flux in Watts per square meter that is produced by your spacecraft passing through the air.

It is one part of the heat balance of your spacecraft (incoming and outgoing energy). If you integrate the balance sum over the length of one time step (adding is already getting you close, but a RK-4 is more accurate), you get the internal energy of one section your heat shield (in Joule per square meter). The temperature of your heat shield can then be approximated by heat capacity and the color and intensity of your glow can be calculated by the blackbody radiation laws - which can be done good enough by a simple look-up table (energy to glow).

It all sounds maybe a bit like black magic here, but in actual code, depending on how accurate you want to be, you can do it pretty easily. how the energy transfers from the air to your heat shield is just a single formula that contains the heat flux in it, but also models conduction...

There it is:

aeroheatflux.png

all variables with the infinity symbol are the state of the free-stream airflow - density, temperature and velocity.
Tw is the current heat shield/wall temperature of your spacecraft.

cp and cH are design parameters of your spacecraft, they model how the heat transfers to the spacecraft heat shield.

(If you sort things a bit in your head, you can maybe see that this formula is actually just a simplification of the sum of the heat flux that makes your spacecraft hot (first part), with the heat flux that makes your spacecraft cold by conduction (second part) )

Last edited:

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Good luck on this - I'm really excited for this addon. It looks like a lot of fun to fly and it's a great glimpse into an exciting space infrastructure that Could Have Been.

marcogavazzeni

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiteritalia.forumotion.com
Further progress .... who goes up .... comes last

I put solar panels that charge the batteries during orbital night stop to load.

The electrical system powers a hydraulic pump.

Switch electrical system operates all the displays, MFD, etc., then wanting to turn on the light inside the cabin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26IhoZLYMOo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]