Question SPS Evasive Maneuver

Renegade

Reaction score
Hello :)

I have a couple of questions regarding the SPS Evasive Maneuver for Apollo 11, P30 is a subroutine called by SPS Evasive Maneuver

1. In the P30 Externel DV -> How to Load desired TIG?
-> How to Load desired DV's?
-> How to Set DET (Counting Up to TIG)?

2. In the SPS Evasive Manuever program -> Set dVC ( from maneuver PAD)
Which maneuver PAD?

3. T-10:00
Were does T-10:00 start?
It shows up in yellow, so I assumed I have to press PRO to continue, but in respect to what time?

4.. F 50 18 -> Please perform Auto manuever ball angels
How?

5. RHC - Verify no MTVC and RHC - perform MTVC check
Where is RHC located?

6. Do not null Residuals
Which Residuals?

Regards ;)

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello :)

I have a couple of questions regarding the SPS Evasive Maneuver for Apollo 11, P30 is a subroutine called by SPS Evasive Maneuver

1. In the P30 Externel DV -> How to Load desired TIG?
-> How to Load desired DV's?
-> How to Set DET (Counting Up to TIG)?

You use V25E to load all three DSKY registers. You do that when you want to change the TIG in P30 (Noun 33) and also with the DV (Noun 81). DET is the digital event timer, so when you get to Noun 45 in P30 it shows you a countdown. You then set up the event timer to count up to TIG. The controls for the event timer are at the bottom of panel 1.

2. In the SPS Evasive Manuever program -> Set dVC ( from maneuver PAD)
Which maneuver PAD?

At about 4 hours GET the MCC will automatically show you the Maneuver PAD for the evasive manever. I don't know what scenario you are using, but after the PAD has been calculated you can re-display it with pressing TAB and then 5 on your keyboard.

3. T-10:00
Were does T-10:00 start?
It shows up in yellow, so I assumed I have to press PRO to continue, but in respect to what time?

You set up the event timer as I described above and T-10:00 is then 10 minutes before ignition (when the event timer shows 50:00 and counting up).

4.. F 50 18 -> Please perform Auto manuever ball angels
How?

If the SC CONT switch is in CMC and CMC Mode is in Auto then press PRO on the DSKY.

5. RHC - Verify no MTVC and RHC - perform MTVC check
Where is RHC located?

RHC is the rotational hand controller. You control it either with the numpad (standard rotation controls like other vessels in Orbiter) or a joystick if you have it set up for NASSP.

6. Do not null Residuals
Which Residuals?

Regards ;)

After the evasive burn you get a point in the P40 checklist where it shows you Noun 85. The burn is with the SPS engine and it will not have achieved exactly the DV that you wanted. The residuals are the DV components left to burn after SPS shutdown basically. It should be only a few tenths of a foot per second. It depends on the kind of burn you are doing if those residuals need to be nulled or not. The evasive burn is just to get away from the S-IVB, so it's not important to have exactly the DV as planned. So you are not nulling them for the evasive burn. You would null them with the THC, so translation controls.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
I see many basic questions about SPS burns, or CSM attitude change.
All answered by @indy91 , but I recommend that, if you are starting out in NASSP, to go to "learning" missions like Apollo 7 or Apollo 8, were you will learn a lot about different SPS burn modes and another CSM related procedures that are required for Apollo 9 onwards, before attempting more complex missions like Apollo 9, 10 or 11.

Best regards,

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I see many basic questions about SPS burns, or CSM attitude change.
All answered by @indy91 , but I recommend that, if you are starting out in NASSP, to go to "learning" missions like Apollo 7 or Apollo 8, were you will learn a lot about different SPS burn modes and another CSM related procedures that are required for Apollo 9 onwards, before attempting more complex missions like Apollo 9, 10 or 11.

Best regards,
Honestly starting out with 11 is not too big a deal. The only real "simpler" mission is Apollo 8. Also 8 offers no advantage learning about SPS maneuvers over 11. The procedures are essentially the same the only extra complexity is a LM attached and more REFSMMAT changes. Also 8 has no "SPS Evasive" for instance.

7 and 9 would teach you about different SPS burn modes, but they are not used for 8 or 11 so that makes that point moot. Additionally flying 7 would be quite complex with all of the rendezvous that takes place.

Point is we don't want to discourage questions like this by simply saying "fly a simpler mission." We love answering these questions and they stand to help lurkers here that haven't decided to try NASSP instead of potentially discouraging them by say "fly an easier mission."

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Honestly starting out with 11 is not too big a deal. The only real "simpler" mission is Apollo 8. Also 8 offers no advantage learning about SPS maneuvers over 11. The procedures are essentially the same the only extra complexity is a LM attached and more REFSMMAT changes. Also 8 has no "SPS Evasive" for instance.

7 and 9 would teach you about different SPS burn modes, but they are not used for 8 or 11 so that makes that point moot. Additionally flying 7 would be quite complex with all of the rendezvous that takes place.

Point is we don't want to discourage questions like this by simply saying "fly a simpler mission." We love answering these questions and they stand to help lurkers here that haven't decided to try NASSP instead of potentially discouraging them by say "fly an easier mission."
Well, if I discouraged the user from trying NASSP, I am sorry. It was just a recommendation.

Renegade

Reaction score
Hello Indy91 :)

FYI: I am following the Apollo 11 Checklist-8033, step by step.
I still do have some problems with the SPS Evasive Maneuver in Apollo 11 Checklist.

- Set dVC (from maneuver PAD) -> At about 4 hours GET the MCC will automatically show you the Maneuver PAD for the evasive manever.
I do not see any new MCC message, only the previous P30

- Load SPS PAD Burn Attitude -> Where can I find SPS PAD Burn Attitude?

- F 50 18 Request MNVR to FDAI RPY angels -> Where can I find those MNVR to FDAI RPY angels?

Regards ;)

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
- Set dVC (from maneuver PAD) -> At about 4 hours GET the MCC will automatically show you the Maneuver PAD for the evasive manever.
I do not see any new MCC message, only the previous P30
It should come up soon after you get to that yellow text that says "copy evasive maneuver pad." Which P30 pad do you have up? Were you late in performing any previous CSM uplinks?

- Load SPS PAD Burn Attitude -> Where can I find SPS PAD Burn Attitude?
It is on the maneuver pad.

- F 50 18 Request MNVR to FDAI RPY angels -> Where can I find those MNVR to FDAI RPY angels?
These are the same angles as you previously asked about, which you will have already loaded in N22 via V49

It might behoove you to check out the Apollo 11 flight plan and if you look at the pages before the plan itself starts each pad is listed with a description of what everything means on there.

Renegade

Reaction score

- Which P30 pad do you have up? -> I have the P30 Maneuver Evasive Purpose PAD

- Were you late in performing any previous CSM uplinks? -> I performed the uplinks with Tab option 2 (uplink) and that works fine

- I did not realize that they were the angles already loaded in V49N22

- I will study the Apollo 11 flight plan

Thanks again for your excellent support (y)

Regards ;)

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Haha wrong person ;)

- Which P30 pad do you have up? -> I have the P30 Maneuver Evasive Purpose PAD
Then you have the pad you need. This will have all the information you need for the burn.

- Were you late in performing any previous CSM uplinks? -> I performed the uplinks with Tab option 2 (uplink) and that works fine
Right I was asking if you did the uplinks later than the first message. But you have the maneuver pad up so this doesn't matter anymore.

- I did not realize that they were the angles already loaded in V49N22
Yes when you load them from the maneuver pad in V49 they are stored. The 50 18 part just says "you want to maneuver to this attitude?" and you verify those are the angles you entered previously.