Status
Not open for further replies.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Should there be one mesh like the picture above ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Should there be one mesh like the picture above ?

Yes. We could replace the ODS mesh, should there be a different ODS for Mir.
Should there be no ODS, we just use MESHVIS_NEVER.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Like this with the Mir stuff added to be removed by code. Or does the TAA need to be seperate, since it moves.

Attachments

• STS-88Airlock.jpg
    STS-88Airlock.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 180

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So how many meshes total ?

I think 4:
TAA
ExAL solo
ExAL for ODS
ODS (with one ISS texture and one Mir texture, and the extra Mir cameras and stuff in a separate group)

If both ExALs can co-exist in a single mesh, and by controlling what groups show, we could differentiate between the 2 versions, then one ExAL mesh is preferable.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Like this with the Mir stuff added to be removed by code. Or does the TAA need to be seperate, since it moves.

The TAA should be a separate mesh as it could be added on the aft side of the ExAL (for STS-91 and 118 at least).

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Was the hatch used between the ExtAL and the TAA for 118 ?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Donamy: Could you make the ODS base black instead of grey? The grey APAS base only exists on the PMAs as the greying is caused by the exposure to the UV-radiation emitted by the sun. It has a bleaching effect on certain fabrics. The ODS isn't exposed to the radiation long enough for this bleaching effect to happen.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

You mean the top EVA hatch? Then, no as no shuttled-based EVAs took place on STS-118. All the EVAs were based out of Quest airlock.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

Probably, or otherwise they would have to depressurize the whole tunnel for an EVA.
EDIT: no wait, that I don't know. Probably there was a hatch between the TAA and the tunnel.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Donamy: Could you make the ODS base black instead of grey? The grey APAS base only exists on the PMAs as the greying is caused by the exposure to the UV-radiation emitted by the sun. It has a bleaching effect on certain fabrics. The ODS isn't exposed to the radiation long enough for this bleaching effect to happen.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

You mean the top EVA hatch? Then, no as no shuttled-based EVAs took place on STS-118. All the EVAs were based out of Quest airlock.

Regardless of what happens when they are docked, there must always be a way to go EVA from the shuttle.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Regardless of what happens when they are docked, there must always be a way to go EVA from the shuttle.

No, not automatically.

The tunnel was already designed for earlier Spacelab missions, when the Shuttle was also routinely flying with the internal airlock.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Probably, or otherwise they would have to depressurize the whole tunnel for an EVA.
EDIT: no wait, that I don't know. Probably there was a hatch between the TAA and the tunnel.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

There's the middeck hatch (A), top airlock (B), aft airlock (C), FWD TAA (D), top TAA (E), aft TAA (F), SpaceHAB (G).

For missions with the internal airlock the order is:
Middeck hatch (A), FWD TAA (B), top TAA (C), aft TAA (D), SpaceHAB (E).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
No, not automatically.

The tunnel was already designed for earlier Spacelab missions, when the Shuttle was also routinely flying with the internal airlock.

There must be a way out of the tunnel/airlock system, and it's not using the ODS hatch. That's why STS 91 and 118 carried the TAA.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There must be a way out of the tunnel/airlock system, and it's not using the ODS hatch. That's why STS 91 and 118 carried the TAA.
Not just those missions. Any mission which had something obstructing the EVA hatch required the TAA. So for the ISS missions here's the list:

• STS-88 (special case, TAA required to put the External Airlock/ODS in the correct position, for N1/FGB dockings as the RMS doesn't reach the standard Bay 2 location)
  • STS-96
  • STS-101
  • STS-106
  • STS-102
  • STS-116
  • STS-118

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not just those missions. Any mission which had something obstructing the EVA hatch required the TAA. So for the ISS missions here's the list:

• STS-88 (special case, TAA required to put the External Airlock/ODS in the correct position, for N1/FGB dockings as the RMS doesn't reach the standard Bay 2 location)
  • STS-96
  • STS-101
  • STS-106
  • STS-102
  • STS-116
  • STS-118

My point exactly.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I've seen pictures of both grey and black, especially the Atlantis exhibit. Two different ODS's pehaps. I agree with the fading argument. I've seen some pictures, where the pma insulation looks alost white in contrast with the ODS.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've seen pictures of both grey and black, especially the Atlantis exhibit. Two different ODS's pehaps. I agree with the fading argument. I've seen some pictures, where the pma insulation looks alost white in contrast with the ODS.
The RMS and External Airlock/ODS on the Space Shuttle Atlantis Exhibit are mockups. NASA kept the External Airlocks/ODS units from all 3 vehicles for possible later uses. If you take a close look, you'll notice alot of of differences between the mockups and the actual flight-articles.
For example, the External Airlock/ODS mockup used on Atlantis seems to be a solid one-piece cylindrical design while the real units are separate and the top section of the airlock is of a conical shape.

Only the OBSS and the Ku band DAs are the real flight articles.

Compare these photos of the mockup with photos of the real flight articles:

2012-4821.jpg

2012-4822.jpg

2012-4826.jpg

2012-4827.jpg

2012-5044.jpg

2012-5045.jpg

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Wow.... that looks bad. In the last image it's very noticeable that the ring isn't aligned. :facepalm:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow.... that looks bad. In the last image it's very noticeable that the ring isn't aligned. :facepalm:
Yes, I don't know who made the mockup. I just hope it wasn't Guard-Lee as they did a great job on Explorer.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yes, I don't know who made the mockup. I just hope it wasn't Guard-Lee as they did a great job on Explorer.

That's another good story.... :facepalm:
EDIT: oh wait, it was Pathfinder that got the good treatment. :S

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So for STS-118, did they remove they not install the hatch between the ODS airlock and the TAA ?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So for STS-118, did they remove they not install the hatch between the ODS airlock and the TAA ?
The hatches are always installed no matter what. If you remember, Endeavour had some problems passing her leak checks prior to the start of the launch countdown. In an effort to isolate where the leak was (SpaceHAB, airlock, orbiter crew module) they closed all the hatches and eventually isolated it to Positive Pressure Relief Valve-B (PPRV-B). They R&Red it with the unit donated by Atlantis as they would have time to fix the faulty unit from Endeavour and install it into Atlantis as she wasn't going to fly until December'07 (she had just returned from EDW concluding STS-117).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.