SSU Documentation

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Should 'EnableWingPainting' be found in the Mission file or the scenario (which is next for me to start looking though)?

EDIT: Also what about the 'PayloadZPos1' entry. Does this effect the attachment point or is this something for the payload latches?

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
EnableWingPainting should be in the mission file.

I think the payloadZPos1 is for moving the airlock.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
PayloadZPos moves the payload attach points along the z-axis. The index for this parameter can be from 0 to 15. PayloadZPos0 sets the position of attachment point 5, etc.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
No. ODSZPos moves the airlock along the orbiter Z axis.

Which would enable one to install a tunnel section in between the A/L and the bulkhead like during Shuttle-Mir flights and STS-88, Correct.

And thanks for the answer Donamy on the WingPainting entry.

EDIT: About ODSZPos; not to nitpick but wouldn't ExtALZPos be more acurrate since the ODS is technicaly attached to the A/L. My guess is that this is a holdover from when the ODS and A/L wheren't separated but it may make more sense to have it the other way...

EDIT2: I'm guessing that OMSAssistStart(End) is in seconds after liftoff, correct?

Last edited:

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I have an update on the manual. I've been working on it for a couple of weeks now. I havn't posted anything yet because I was having problems with getting the graphics to work properly but that has been solved. Attached is just the incomplete PDF. I have it set up so all the graphics are in one folder, and LaTex will only look in this folder. I also have the document separated into several TeX documents. They are broken down like this:

Main Manual Document (which includes section 1)
2 SSU Systems
3 Flight Data Files
4 Mission Files
5 Scenario Files​

These are shown in the posted pdf but all they are right now is the main section title, and most of section one is complete.

I'm approaching this like we are introducing STS to someone for the first time. Because eventually, there will be new users that will have never seen a shuttle actually fly. So until we can just say "Read the SCOM" I feel that it would be best to explain not only SSU features but give a general description of STS. Another thing I'm doing is to set up the manual in the same style as SCOM so that the transition for users back and forth will be smooth, hopfully. :p

Attachments

• SSU Operations Manual V. 1.XX Rev. A.pdf
    774.8 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks pretty good. I would maybe just change the font of the text to something around Arial.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I thought I had changed the font to helvetica but needed another command line. Attached is the manual with the "as intended" font.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I thought I had changed the font to helvetica but needed another command line. Attached is the manual with the "as intended" font.
Looks much better now! Keep up the great work!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, looks much better now, with that kind of manual, we can do business. :)

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Is the Payload Attachment diagram Urwumpe posted a while back still acurate? If not, what would be a better way to show the attachment system in its current and/or planned incarnation?

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Another PDRS question. Are the bridge rails going to be generated by SSU in the future or will we be useing the spacecraft3 approach of having them as a separate vessel? If generated by code, how will they be defined? (Mission file, Scenario file, or other)

Thanks.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the diagram is still valid I don't remember any changes to the attachment order.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another PDRS question. Are the bridge rails going to be generated by SSU in the future or will we be useing the spacecraft3 approach of having them as a separate vessel? If generated by code, how will they be defined? (Mission file, Scenario file, or other)

Thanks.
The bridgerails should probably be generated by SSU. BTW, it might be good if you could check the documentation files into sourceforge - I'd like to have a look at what you've done so far.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Thanks on the bridgerails. I can check it in. I need to be allowed to do that right? (if you could tell me how that would be great too :blush: ) Should I check in just the PDF file or the PDF with the LaTex .tex file?

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To check stuff in, you need to create a sourceforge user account and tell Urwumpe or myself what your username is, so we can give you access to the repository. You should check the .tex file in.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I checked in the .tex files with the Images folder that latex pulls the images from. If you don't need the images (ie. you woun't be creating a pdf from the .tex files) you do not need the images.

Space_Shuttle_Ultra is the base document.

SSU_SYSEMS, MISSION_FILES, SCENARIO_FILES, and FLIGHT_DATA_FILES are sections of the main manual broken down into seprate tex files. (They all go into the final singular PDF)