Project SSU HI RES Textures

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Starting to work on a new set of high resolution textures for SSU 5.0 Textures resolution will be 8192x8192 dpi which is 4 times higher than the default ones.

These are the first shots of the front section of the Orbiter

P.S. I know some picky guy will notice the "tear" below the R2 window belongs to Discovery: this is just a generic Shuttle I am working on so disregard the name Atlantis painted on it

Note for the Devs: looks like the new mesh is causing texture distortion in many areas (some of them already visible i the screenshots above). Will this be fixed?

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Really nice job Wolf !!
I've fixed the mesh so many times, It will have to wait until it is finalized before I'll fix it again.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Really nice job Wolf !!
I've fixed the mesh so many times, It will have to wait until it is finalized before I'll fix it again.

I see.
Important question for me: will any future mesh fix require a subsequent major texture adjustment? (minor changes will for sure be required like shape and geometry of some tiles but if it is likely that these textures won’t fit anymore then there is no point in drawing them now as it is a very time consuming job).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll try to fix what I can. The main problem being that not many of these show up at the 2048x2048 resolution we're using now. But I think I have managed to fix most ones in this revision: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6ekm3zl25b1gt0/NewOrbiter.msh?dl=0

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

I see.
Important question for me: will any future mesh fix require a subsequent major texture adjustment? (minor changes will for sure be required like shape and geometry of some tiles but if it is likely that these textures won’t fit anymore then there is no point in drawing them now as it is a very time consuming job).
Hopefully this will be the last one for a while. I certainly have no intentions of touching it again, unless required.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If its just me, I would say the next releases could then focus on payloads and infrastructure, instead of further improving the accuracy of the orbiter mesh.

How many boxes of beer would be needed for getting a Story Musgrave mesh? :hmm:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How many boxes of beer would be needed for getting a Story Musgrave mesh? :hmm:

Well I would rather go for a Jessica Chastain mesh as Shuttle Commander. Yes I know it's Hollywood but wouldn't she be your ideal crew member? :10sign:

actually I remember I made an UMMU wirth her face time ago...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well I would rather go for a Jessica Chastain mesh as Shuttle Commander. Yes I know it's Hollywood but wouldn't she be your ideal crew member? :10sign:

Well, if its about Hollywood I would rather go by having George Clooney telling me that it isn't all that bad, while the Space Shuttle falls apart.

Or have Clint Eastwood landing without GPCs support. :lol:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Or have Clint Eastwood landing without GPCs support. :lol:

Stick and rudder, the old school!

"AoA indicator?? What the f$*#k is that? If don't know your current AoA then you should not fly airplanes"

Chuck Yeager, entering the cockipt of an F-15 a few years ago :thumbup:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

actually I remember I made an UMMU wirth her face time ago...

... and we would also need a sound file to play every 5 minutes with "MUUUURPH!!!" :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"AoA indicator?? What the f$*#k is that? If don't know your current AoA then you should not fly airplanes"

Well, I am sure it was a joke (The X-1 had a AOA indicator), but its great. :lol:

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

No Story Musgrave, no beer. :lol:

Also the ACES suit looks like made in Hollywood... is that a repaint of a EMU?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, it was a quick repaint to have the ACES suit look

:thumbup:

Still much better than what we have right now... just one Jessica in the cockpit and it looks far less lonely in there.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Back to the topic, the new mesh sent by DaveS fix the issues ahead of the PB doors but creates new problems like this (black tiles fwd of the side hatch)

0069.jpg

Also the nose tiles are not aligned (top vs side section)

0072.jpg

0065.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Back to the topic, the new mesh sent by DaveS fix the issues ahead of the PB doors but creates new problems like this (black tiles fwd of the side hatch)

View attachment 15562

Also the nose tiles are not aligned (top vs side section)

View attachment 15564

View attachment 15563
Could you try it now please? The previous link is still good. I can only do so much due to the resolution. When zoomed in like your screenshots, the low resolution becomes very obvious with severe blurriness being present which hampers efforts of lining things up.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
DaveS: Are you remapping ?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
DaveS: Are you remapping ?
Yes. Things got a bit empty once the underbody texture got moved into its own texture. So I decided to repopulate it. The latest sources can found here, including the layered psd file. For now, the new mesh is using a bare bone cfg file

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Could you try it now please? The previous link is still good. I can only do so much due to the resolution. When zoomed in like your screenshots, the low resolution becomes very obvious with severe blurriness being present which hampers efforts of lining things up.

Better now, still some tile distortion as you can see
0100.jpg

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Better now, still some tile distortion as you can see
View attachment 15566
Do what you can and I'll take a closer look once I have the actual textures. The problem is the blurriness that occurs with the default texture. The distortions doesn't show up with those so all the attempts are done in the blind so to say.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Do what you can and I'll take a closer look once I have the actual textures. The problem is the blurriness that occurs with the default texture. The distortions doesn't show up with those so all the attempts are done in the blind so to say.

I can send you the source file I am editing if you want