Project SSU HI RES Textures

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Those are 8192x8192 terxtures. The inline client cannot handle them (hence your vanilla Shuttle). You need D3D9 in order to use my textures

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

No it s not you, they were ok in the source file but then they look wrong in the sim. In fact I noticed the original NASA logo looks oval and the labels are also squished vertically.
Fixed
Have you tried matching them to the original SSU textures? They look alright.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Have you tried matching them to the original SSU textures? They look alright.

That s how I fixed them.
About the vents and umbelicals missing, I am not sure I ll add those. I am realizing this is getting a never ending job (I keep editing this and that in many different areas and thera are so many details still there that could be improved..)
It is not worth the effort since I am working on 4.2
The idea would be to go further with the editing when I will go back to 5.0

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok I am pretty much done with 4.2.
Just one last thing: on top of the Side hatch one there is a second area where the mesh grossly alter the textures (front fuselage section between the boundary PBD/crew module and the flight deck upper windows).

view of the the LRSI tiles and PBD edge distortions both left and right of the windows
0407.jpg

detail (the DANGER triangular label clearly reveals the issue)
0447.jpg

Is that, together with the Side Hatch fixable?

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok I am pretty much done with 4.2.
Just one last thing: on top of the Side hatch one there is a second area where the mesh grossly alter the textures (front fuselage section between the boundary PBD/crew module and the flight deck upper windows).

view of the the LRSI tiles and PBD edge distortions both left and right of the windows
View attachment 15597

detail (the DANGER triangular label clearly reveals the issue)
View attachment 15596

Is that, together with the Side Hatch fixable?
Those issues should be fixed in the mesh revisions I have checked in so far which is the 4.2 mesh.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Those issues should be fixed in the mesh revisions I have checked in so far which is the 4.2 mesh.

So there is a new mesh update for 4.2 I am missing?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So there is a new mesh update for 4.2 I am missing?
Yes, if you have set up an proper SSU development installation, then you should have it by the normal means of obtaining the updates. As far as a a public release, none has be made.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, if you have set up an proper SSU development installation, then you should have it by the normal means of obtaining the updates. As far as a a public release, none has be made.

When was the updated mesh "relaesed"? I haven't done any SVN update since a month or so.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When was the updated mesh "relaesed"? I haven't done any SVN update since a month or so.
It the last week or so. You can set up the TortoiseSVN Project Monitor to automatically notify you of any check ins. You do this by clicking the Add Project button and entering the following data:

Code:
Name: Space Shuttle Ultra
Path or URL: svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/shuttleultra/code/

The rest is left blank. Monitor interval can set to whatever how often you want it to check for new updates.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have now the updated mesh (4.2). Problem is every time you fix one issue several others pop up. The Side Hatch looks better now and the roof area around the windows is better but we have problems just around those areas and major new issues with the inner elevons (particularly the left one) and the belly between the wingtip and the ET umbelical doors.
Apart from the cosmetic issue the main problem for me id that these new distortions screw up the whole textures in the affected area and it takes quite a lot of effort to fix them
I am getting frustrated :mad:

0529.jpg

0567.jpg

0573.jpg

0616.jpg

0518.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have now the updated mesh (4.2). Problem is every time you fix one issue several others pop up. The Side Hatch looks better now and the roof area around the windows is better but we have problems just around those areas and major new issues with the inner elevons (particularly the left one) and the belly between the wingtip and the ET umbelical doors.
Apart from the cosmetic issue the main problem for me id that these new distortions screw up the whole textures in the affected area and it takes quite a lot of effort to fix them

View attachment 15598

View attachment 15599

View attachment 15600

View attachment 15601

View attachment 15602
I don't have your hi-res textures so I'm changing things completely in the blind. So it is always going to be hit or miss on these corrections. Unless you stick to the actual SSU texture layout precisely, things are going to be off.

And due to the resolution difference between yours and ours, some things just won't show up. I'm not sure how to address this issue. As far as the elevons go, for the latest round of mesh fixes, I used the brand new 5.0 elevons as the old 4.2 ones were not right and had a few issues. That's why the textures are off there.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

View attachment 15598

View attachment 15599

View attachment 15600

View attachment 15601

View attachment 15602

Welcome to my world.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

View attachment 15598

View attachment 15599

View attachment 15600

View attachment 15601

View attachment 15602
I think I have managed mop up these issues, except for the ones relating to the elevons. Can you please confirm this with the mesh I just checked in?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think I have managed mop up these issues, except for the ones relating to the elevons. Can you please confirm this with the mesh I just checked in?

What meshes? New SVN update?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What meshes? New SVN update?
Yes. That was checked in refers to, that something has been checked into the SVN repository.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think there is a problem with the side hatch. I have edited it to match with the latest mesh update but there is a huge gap/hole...:shrug:

0663.jpg
The side hatch black tiles on the left are "sucked in" the gap (orbiter black tiles in the region show odd/deformed to the left...)

here is the psd file for reference

Side Hatch 4.2.jpg

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Another problem with the seal between the FRCS and the orbiter nose: on the LEFT side only it shows duplicated

FRCS seal.jpg

Attachments

• 0629.jpg
    0629.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Dave I understand the difficulties in fixing and adapting the mesh to the hi res textures. If that causes to much of a problem maybe it would be better to revert to the original 4.2 mesh with the initial side hatch fix and disregard the rest. With that mesh I was happy and the textures looked ok overall..

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dave I understand the difficulties in fixing and adapting the mesh to the hi res textures. If that causes to much of a problem maybe it would be better to revert to the original 4.2 mesh with the initial side hatch fix and disregard the rest. With that mesh I was happy and the textures looked ok overall..
That won't be an issue. I just forgot to splice in the update side hatch mesh. I think that will have to wait until tomorrow as SourceForge.net is down again so I can't check anything in. I have also fixed the inboard elevons.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-28-18 at 10:13 PM ----------

Another problem with the seal between the FRCS and the orbiter nose: on the LEFT side only it shows duplicated

View attachment 15606
Thanks for the heads up. I rechecked the texture mapping and it is off on the left side. That fix will be part of the next check in once SF is back up and running.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

The new mesh along with a set of updated textures have been checked in as SF just came back to life.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort Dave but there is now a problem in the nose area just beside the flight deck windows (both left and right):the outer area partially overlaps the inner one and as the result a section of the nose area (where the black "tears" are located) disappears.

Here is the .psd file. I highlighted one tile towards the edge (in RED) that in the sim view is shifted inside (in GREEN). The black tears were deleted only to take this screenshot and better locate the tile highlighted (of course they were there when the DDS file was genrated).
TILE SHIFT OVERLAP_01.jpg

Here what happens in the sim looking at the same tile. The left tear fully disapppears (the right one only partially since the pics show Discovery)
TILE SHIFT OVERLAP SIM.jpg

Also the old Side hatch issue is now back
SIDE HATCH.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wolf, do you have AC3D ? It would make it a lot easier to see the mesh and textures, than having to run the game.