Project SSU HI RES Textures

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Now I can only see Atlantis (despite the scenario has Columbia) and the textures are all over the place... That looks like a complete new thing which will require a massive intervention on the textures. Wouldn't it be better to keep the last mesh with maybe some minor tweaking. Most of it was ok and the hi res textures fitted quite well. Why this big change?
The reason why I managed to keep the mesh groups in order before was that the changes I made only affected one or two mesh groups. And since Orbiter .msh format isn't binary but rather raw ASCII text, I could simply copy&paste the changes from separate msh file, essentially conducting surgery on it. This simply wasn't an option this time.

Every time you save a new msh file from AC3D or whatever your 3D editor might be, the mesh group order changes so the numbers that the animation codes uses are thrown off leading to the wrong things being animated. So to fix this, a new mesh resource header file (meshres for short) had to be generated. And this is baked into the overall SSU module ("SpaceShuttleUltra.dll") when you build the actual sources. So you can't just run the mesh resource generator ("ssumeshc") and replace the old one with the new and then run Orbiter. The sources have to be recompiled for the new meshres.h header to take effect.

So that's the reason why the sources have to be recompiled this time, just to many changes. Every time you invade the actual msh file like I have been doing, you risk breaking it completely requiring you to start over with the old msh file with no guarantee that you won't break it again.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The reason why I managed to keep the mesh groups in order before was that the changes I made only affected one or two mesh groups. And since Orbiter .msh format isn't binary but rather raw ASCII text, I could simply copy&paste the changes from separate msh file, essentially conducting surgery on it. This simply wasn't an option this time.

Every time you save a new msh file from AC3D or whatever your 3D editor might be, the mesh group order changes so the numbers that the animation codes uses are thrown off leading to the wrong things being animated. So to fix this, a new mesh resource header file (meshres for short) had to be generated. And this is baked into the overall SSU module ("SpaceShuttleUltra.dll") when you build the actual sources. So you can't just run the mesh resource generator ("ssumeshc") and replace the old one with the new and then run Orbiter. The sources have to be recompiled for the new meshres.h header to take effect.

So that's the reason why the sources have to be recompiled this time, just to many changes. Every time you invade the actual msh file like I have been doing, you risk breaking it completely requiring you to start over with the old msh file with no guarantee that you won't break it again.

I have been working on the textures since 5 months. As you know I started with 5.0 but soon reverted to 4.2 for that exact reason: having something to work on which was not prone to any major change that would dramatically effect the textures.
I have been already updating my textures at least 3/4 times following mesh tweaks and updates. We all do this in our spare time and for free simply driven by the passion we share for Orbiter, but it is still valuable time and effort.

What would you think if after coding for months all of the sudden someone else pops up and release an update that screws up all your work?
I understand my contribution is probably considered marginal and I would not dare to call myself part of the SSU TEAM (as Donamy kindly stated) but still I am trying my best to add something to this project (and with very limited knowledge and skills which in turn means a lot of trial and error).
Now the new mesh would require a massive texture work (the belly itself needs to be done again from scratch with all its components). I am not gonna do that.
4.2 will be replaced by the new release you are working on, I would be happy with the actual status (maybe with some minor tweaking like the nose cone) and move further improvents to 5.0.
If that is not possible then I ll have to through my work into the bin as these Hi Res textures are not usable anymore

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What would you think if after coding for months all of the sudden someone else pops up and release an update that screws up all your work?
I understand my contribution is probably considered marginal and I would not dare to call myself part of the SSU TEAM (as Donamy kindly stated) but still I am trying my best to add something to this project (and with very limited knowledge and skills which in turn means a lot of trial and error).
Now the new mesh would require a massive texture work (the belly itself needs to be done again from scratch with all its components). I am not gonna do that.
4.2 will be replaced by the new release you are working on, I would be happy with the actual status (maybe with some minor tweaking like the nose cone) and move further improvents to 5.0.
If that is not possible then I ll have to through my work into the bin as these Hi Res textures are not usable anymore
The main texture deltas were the movement of the underbody texture to its own separate texture file and the forward windows to the area formerly occupied by the underbody texture. That's it. Everything else remains unchanged. The only other changes were to the mesh itself, not the textures. So your textures are still fine. Just recompile the sources and everything will be back to normal. Here's a screenshot I just took showing that everything is fine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/59dn23cuq00pg6q/Hires_texture_mesh_update.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The main texture deltas were the movement of the underbody texture to its own separate texture file and the forward windows to the area formerly occupied by the underbody texture. That's it. Everything else remains unchanged. The only other changes were to the mesh itself, not the textures. So your textures are still fine. Just recompile the sources and everything will be back to normal. Here's a screenshot I just took showing that everything is fine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/59dn23cuq00pg6q/Hires_texture_mesh_update.jpg?dl=0

I did the recompile. The belly needs to be done again. With the details I ve added to the body flaps, elevons, RCC, main and nose gear doors, plus all the tiles different patterns (replaced tiles vs old) I can tell you it’s a lot of work.
I do not have the time neither I have the motivation to do that.
I am just quite disappointed that what I have been working so far is pretty much useless

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wolf said:
I did the recompile. The belly needs to be done again. With the details I ve added to the body flaps, elevons, RCC, main and nose gear doors, plus all the tiles different patterns (replaced tiles vs old) I can tell you it’s a lot of work.
I do not have the time neither I have the motivation to do that.
I am just quite disappointed that what I have been working so far is pretty much useless
For now I guess I could revert back to the old underbody.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

For now I guess I could revert back to the old underbody.
And that is now done and have been checked in.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Glad to see Wolf's work can continue. Anyone who contributes is part of the team.:thumbup:

Tim13

Reaction score
@Wolf: Those textures look great. I've been flying Endeavour lately. I can't wait for you textures if you choose to continue. :thumbup:

Tim

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@Wolf: Those textures look great. I've been flying Endeavour lately. I can't wait for you textures if you choose to continue. :thumbup:

Tim

Thanks Tim! Columbia and Challenger should be coming soon

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Is everything working now? No issues?

I ll check asap

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is everything working now? No issues?

Ok, it looks like the mesh you have reverted to with rev. 2836 are not the same as before. I now have issues in different areas

Belly: problem with tiles distortion and main gear doors. the RCC and its countour strip are displaced
View attachment 15815
View attachment 15814
View attachment 15816

The upper nose area is now shifted backward (see the black tiles misalignment). Also note the +Z RCS nozzles issue
View attachment 15811

Something wrong with the STBD FWD RCS nozzles
View attachment 15812

Port side RCS NOZZLES look a bit better but the black tiles now have a different (wrong angle)
View attachment 15813

PBD centerline junction now missing and rear plates merged

View attachment 15817

Mid body Black tiles around vent doors displaced
View attachment 15818

Can you upload the last mesh that was working well with the textures please

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have fixed the above mentioned issues but the FRCS/FWD fuselage separate line is very weird as your previous SSU Hi-res textures look fine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjebbbns0au0qp1/FRCS_sep_line.jpg?dl=0

Are you sure that your Columbia texture has it in the same location as the others do? That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I still have the same issues with the belly...
With fixed it, I meant locally. I haven't checked anything in yet. I was seeking clarification on the FRCS sep line issue.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I meant where is the FRCS sep line in your Columbia texture vs the one in your Atlantis texture?

what sep line are you referring to?.. can you send a screenshot?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
what sep line are you referring to?.. can you send a screenshot?
I'm talking about the line that separates the FRCS module from the FWD fuselage. Where is that on the two textures? Are they in the same places?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm talking about the line that separates the FRCS module from the FWD fuselage. Where is that on the two textures? Are they in the same places?

everything is in the same position (I ll double check that)

Sorry but I still do not understand what line you re talking about (forward, aft, side ?)
A screenshot would help

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
everything is in the same position (I ll double check that)

Sorry but I still do not understand what line you re talking about (forward, aft, side ?)
A screenshot would help
It's the line that runs between the HRSI tiles on the FWD fuselage and the FRCS module. It's really a thermal barrier that prevents plasma from seeping through the small spaces between the FRCS module and the FWD fuselage. You can see it clearly in this post-landing photo of Discovery as a thin grey line that runs almost unobstructed between the FRCS module and the FWD fuselage: https://www.dropbox.com/s/47jsxngk2fk4h74/2010-2831.jpg?dl=0

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Checked in the fixed mesh. It should address all the issues except for the FRCS separation line issue as that is still being investigated.