Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Question for the team and SSU users on the rudder textures

I have added a "seam pattern" that reflects the one showed on the default SSU textures. Looking at the Orbiter rudder pictures though I can't see this pattern (the tiles seams are all even). IMHO the effect is cool but maybe not that realistic

This is how it looks

View attachment 15850

Pro or versus?

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Don't like it.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Some other new small issues I noticed

There is a line that cuts and splits the RCS nozzles

View attachment 15845
View attachment 15846

The black HRSI in between the OMS pods have now 2 rectangular grey portions areas left and right of the rudder insertion

View attachment 15847

The left main landing gear door seems displaced: there is a gap where you can see through
View attachment 15848

the other gear door seems to be uneffected
View attachment 15849
Except for the OMS pods, everything is looking good here. I have checked in a version that has the grey areas fixed.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Except for the OMS pods, everything is looking good here. I have checked in a version that has the grey areas fixed.

So you do not see the other glitches... :huh:? Anyone else can check that out please?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So you do not see the other glitches... :huh:? Anyone else can check that out please?
What is the revision of your Orbiter.msh? You can check this by right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties from the context menu and then going to the Subversion tab. WC Revision should say 2849. Same for last changed revision.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What is the revision of your Orbiter.msh? You can check this by right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties from the context menu and then going to the Subversion tab. WC Revision should say 2849. Same for last changed revision.

2849 recompiled, gear door issue fixed. This is the situation now:

RCS nozzles still show this

View attachment 15851
View attachment 15852

OMS pod new issue
View attachment 15853

View attachment 15854

There is a cut in the textures right behind the nose cap
View attachment 15855

Sharp edges on the sides of the belly
View attachment 15856

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
2850 new issues

BELLY-WINGS

the elevons HRSI contours and the RCC/HRSI at the wingtip are displaced. Also the belly show a diagonal line of deformed tiles (from the wingtip going inward and up)
BELLY ELEVON CONTOURS DSPLCMNT .jpg

the nose gear door lower seam has an issue and ET attachment plate is now cut and separated in two
NOSE GEAR DOOR AND ET ATT PLATE.jpg

Both wingtips HRSI show a white LRSI section
HRSI WINGTIPS.jpg

RCC on both wings are displaced and there is a gap where you can see through the Orbiter structure
RCC 01.jpg
RCC 2.jpg

The starboard outer elevon trailing edge HRSI "jigsaw pattern" shows now this sort of duplication. Also its inner black tiles contour in the fixed wing section is now missing
STBD outer elevon issue.jpg

The View attachment 15863

FRCS starboard side nozzles are displaced
STBD FRCS NOZZLES DISPLCMNT.jpg

Finally something I noticed before rev 2850 but still there: a hump on the upper nose section. Don't know if it has always been there
NOSE HUMP.jpg

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
(sorry for the potential off-topic)
I noticed that the nose gear doors are not as they should: in reality one is larger than the other. Shouldn't this be corrected now, so that in the future things don't have to be changed again?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
(sorry for the potential off-topic)
I noticed that the nose gear doors are not as they should: in reality one is larger than the other. Shouldn't this be corrected now, so that in the future things don't have to be changed again?

Are you referring to SSU 5.0? I am working now on 4.2 and the underbody texture is like the default Atlantis and the Fleet: I work on one half of it only, hence everything symmetrical (like the nose gear door) is just an exact specular copy of its original half.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
2850 new issues

BELLY-WINGS

the elevons HRSI contours and the RCC/HRSI at the wingtip are displaced. Also the belly show a diagonal line of deformed tiles (from the wingtip going inward and up)
View attachment 15858

the nose gear door lower seam has an issue and ET attachment plate is now cut and separated in two
View attachment 15859

Both wingtips HRSI show a white LRSI section
View attachment 15860

RCC on both wings are displaced and there is a gap where you can see through the Orbiter structure
View attachment 15861
View attachment 15862

The starboard outer elevon trailing edge HRSI "jigsaw pattern" shows now this sort of duplication. Also its inner black tiles contour in the fixed wing section is now missing
View attachment 15864

The View attachment 15863

FRCS starboard side nozzles are displaced
View attachment 15866

Finally something I noticed before rev 2850 but still there: a hump on the upper nose section. Don't know if it has always been there
View attachment 15865
The above reported issues should now be fixed.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Are you referring to SSU 5.0? I am working now on 4.2 and the underbody texture is like the default Atlantis and the Fleet: I work on one half of it only, hence everything symmetrical (like the nose gear door) is just an exact specular copy of its original half.
This is for 4.2??? So why are changes being made on the mesh in the trunk? :idk: :idk: :idk:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The above reported issues should now be fixed.

Thanks, much better now. There are still a few minor issues but I think it is maybe better to leave the mesh as they are for the moment

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I found out that Challenger on her first mission (STS-6) had the fwd section of the OMS pods equipped with AFRSI instead of LRSI tiles
STS-6 Orbit A (80).jpg

AFAIK in the subsequent mission STS-7 they went back to the LRSI.
Was STS-6 the only time when Challenger had such a configuration and why was the AFRSI dropped (maybe thermal issues or blankets wear?). I know they had some TPS problems right in the OMS POD area (you can see from the picture aswell). Maybe that's the reason why?

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
AFAIK in the subsequent mission STS-7 they went back to the LRSI.
Was STS-6 the only time when Challenger had such a configuration and why was the AFRSI dropped (maybe thermal issues or blankets wear?). I know they had some TPS problems right in the OMS POD area (you can see from the picture aswell). Maybe that's the reason why?
Yes, STS-6 was the only time OMS pods that used AFRSI on the front faces. The reason why the went back was that they after some more wind tunnel testing found that the AFRSI couldn't withstand the vortices that was generated by the wings. So after some more wind tunnel testing they came up with the HRSI "eyeballs" configuration. For next few flights while her own OMS pods was being reconfigured, Challenger used Columbia's OMS pods while she was being modified to support STS-9.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is anyone in posses of some pictures of the upper side of the early Columbia or Challenger OMS PODS?
I'd like to repaint them for SSU but I am only able to reproduce the lower side (only pic available is shot from bottom towards the top)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is anyone in posses of some pictures of the upper side of the early Columbia or Challenger OMS PODS?
I'd like to repaint them for SSU but I am only able to reproduce the lower side (only pic available is shot from bottom towards the top)

Columbia's OMS pod configuration for flights 1-6: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kd1awbj6m3zivkh/STS1-0669-NOID-2.81.jpg?dl=0

Challenger's OMS pods for flight 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/togum8arpoumbqw/STS6-113-NOID.jpg?dl=0