SSU lite ?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I believe we need a more computer friendly shuttle model. The one that is being done by DaveS now is way to massive as far as polys go. This will never be able to fly missions to the ISS AtoZ, or even carry the payloads, without being a slide show. I think we should consider a much scaled down version that people can use with these addons. Anyone else agree ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I believe we need a more computer friendly shuttle model. The one that is being done by DaveS now is way to massive as far as polys go. This will never be able to fly missions to the ISS AtoZ, or even carry the payloads, without being a slide show. I think we should consider a much scaled down version that people can use with these addons. Anyone else agree ?

I agree. I have constantly been nagging about the performance of the meshes, and even now, that I have a pretty good hardware available, I don't feel like this is tolerable.

I don't think we need to scale down much - but we need to manage our graphics much better, maybe use lower quality models for distant objects in the simulation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I never used SSU so I don't know, but don't D3D9/11 help with fps?

Yes - a x4 increase here. But then, it is a 4x speed diashow sometimes.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just to give a bit of fact here with no speculations:
Current Orbiter mesh triangles: 123824
Current 90% complete new Orbiter mesh triangles: 133993

That's a 8% increase over the original. With addition of the last major items, the PLBDs and radiators, maybe it will climb to 10%.

These are the facts.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Some thing's wrong guys, the combined meshes for my GWS are nearly 100 times that size. I use ultra high res textures, 2 megapixels each, and 40 or more are loaded on startup. And yes I get a slideshow more often then not, but when I float the entire station, in orbit, in ORBITER 2010 P1, the best frame rate I get is about 28fps. Virgin install. Nothing else running on the box. Clean cfg file, and state of the art desktop I7, lots of memory and two big Nvidia graphic cards.

It's been a while since I loaded the entire thing, which means it can't be any better by now. It also means I don't have any log files to show you.

I'm no genius, but it sounds to me like some thing is really wrong. Your the experts. Your way over my head with this project, but I'll bet it's something relatively simple. Seems to happen to the best at a moderate rate. IMO your the dream team here. JMTC, Please don't give up now, it's come so far to see degradation.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The facts are that the model is too detailed and needs to be scaled down. The Launch pad also. People won't use it if it doesn't run smoothly with other addons. Hell I haven't been able to use it for about a year.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The facts are that the model is too detailed and needs to be scaled down. The Launch pad also. People won't use it if it doesn't run smoothly with other addons. Hell I haven't been able to use it for about a year.
Feel free the edit the meshes, they're open and free to edit by anyone. It's not just the actual source code that applies to, it's all elements of the project which includes the textures and meshes.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are we sure it's the meshes that are causing the problem, and not something else? It might be a good idea to try replacing the SSU dll with a SC3 vessel (using the same meshes) and see if the performance is still poor. I don't have any problems running the latest revision on Sourceforge.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are we sure it's the meshes that are causing the problem, and not something else? It might be a good idea to try replacing the SSU dll with a SC3 vessel (using the same meshes) and see if the performance is still poor. I don't have any problems running the latest revision on Sourceforge.

What are you getting for FPS ?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What are you getting for FPS ?
Here's two screenshots speaks for me. The first one is with both the current SSU mesh and your complete ISSA2Z package. Recorded FPS as shown in the screenshot was 41.

The second screenshot shows only your ISSA2Z, with the SSU orbiter not rendered but still in the scenario, where the recorded FPS was 45.

With the current SSU orbiter alone, it peaks at 60 FPS due to V-sync being enabled to prevent tearing, actual FPS peaking at 296.

So, the real FPS hog in a show-down between SSU and your ISSA2Z is your ISSA2Z as it alone drains my FPS down to 45. Adding SSU, only drains it down to 41, 4 FPS less than ISS on its own.

SSU_ISSA2Z_FPS.jpg

ISSA2Z_FPS.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still I think we are wasting a lot of performance because we don't make use of simple improvements. Also what is the performance in the VC view, when the ISS is in view?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Still I think we are wasting a lot of performance because we don't make use of simple improvements. Also what is the performance in the VC view, when the ISS is in view?
Alone: 544
With ISS visible through the CDR HUD: 48

Both checks were done in D3D9Client with V-sync disabled.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And we could get around 20% more performance, if we stop painting on textures, where it isn't necessary...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll have to wait til it's released to see what I get. But do we really need detachable OMS and FRCSpod while in flight ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I guess I'll have to wait til it's released to see what I get. But do we really need detachable OMS and FRCSpod while in flight ?

No. As I see it development-wise, we don't really need it before 2050. :blush:

But on the other hand... we could visualize failures if we could split the main mesh apart. :lol:

Kendo

Reaction score
I think it, good to see better models in Orbiter.
Now we have D3D9/11 clients, it is very capable of using large meshes and textures and of course the added effects are amazing.
Framerate can go down, but it still runs smooth.
O.k some of my Trek meshes are a little over the top, but they still run damn smooth.
I run these on my 12 year old Pentium 4 with agp 1gig Radeon card and 2 gig ram max. Windows 7 ultimate.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think it, good to see better models in Orbiter.
Now we have D3D9/11 clients, it is very capable of using large meshes and textures and of course the added effects are amazing.
Framerate can go down, but it still runs smooth.
O.k some of my Trek meshes are a little over the top, but they still run damn smooth.
I run these on my 12 year old Pentium 4 with agp 1gig Radeon card and 2 gig ram max. Windows 7 ultimate.

What do you get when you run ISS AtoZ , with D3D9 ?

Kendo

Reaction score
Donamy, I have,t got ISS AtoZ installed.
I was just making a general comment.