Updates STS-133 Updates

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Aviation Week: Lightning Strikes Near Shuttle Launch Pad:
Kennedy Space Center engineers plan to meet Sept. 29 to evaluate data collected after five lightning strikes hit within 5 mi. of the space shuttle launch pad.

Preliminary sensor readings indicate no damage to Launch Pad 39A or shuttle Discovery, which is at the pad in preparation for its last flight. Liftoff is targeted for Nov. 1.

A tropical depression that brought heavy rain and wind to Kennedy Space Center is expected to pass offshore the morning of Sept. 30, forecasters with the 45th Space Wing said in a NASA status report.

“The center remains open and Discovery will remain on its launch pad,” the report says.

Leak checks of the quick disconnects on Discovery’s auxiliary power units were under way.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceFlight: STS-133 completes hyper loading – Discovery may star in Transformers movie:
With the departmental Flight Readiness Reviews (FRRs) ongoing – leading up to the SSP (Space Shuttle Program) FRR set for next week – Discovery continues to enjoy a smooth pad flow, as the milestone of hyper loading (S0024) was completed on Saturday. The veteran orbiter is also enjoying a weekend at the movies, as filming of Transformers 3 picks up at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC).

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What launch azimuth?

Hello All,

It's been a while. I'm posting here because for the first (and last) time in my life, I'm headed down to Canaveral from Seattle to witness and feel a Space Shuttle launch. STS-133.

My hotel is in Satellite Beach, about 10 miles south of Jetty park, which a local friend tells me is the closest you can get to the pad, but still it's apparently 10 miles south. I intend to drive my rented convertible (I splurged) and perhaps pull off the road at the air force station, or go to Jetty park, don't know yet.

Question: Depending on the orientation of the ISS's orbit, I see the launch azimuth could be either 45 or 135 degrees. I'm going to guess that 45 is more common, because a launch in that direction takes you roughly perpendicular to the coast. 135 degrees would have the shuttle flying roughly parallel to the coast, which might not be safe. Does anyone know the actual launch azimuth? None of the flight plans say anything, which means maybe it's common knowledge, and I just missed it. :lol:

EDIT: Orbiterwiki says "northeastern course is always used." OK.

Thanks!

MT

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello All,

It's been a while. I'm posting here because for the first (and last) time in my life, I'm headed down to Canaveral from Seattle to witness and feel a Space Shuttle launch. STS-133.

My hotel is in Satellite Beach, about 10 miles south of Jetty park, which a local friend tells me is the closest you can get to the pad, but still it's apparently 10 miles south. I intend to drive my rented convertible (I splurged) and perhaps pull off the road at the air force station, or go to Jetty park, don't know yet.

Question: Depending on the orientation of the ISS's orbit, I see the launch azimuth could be either 45 or 135 degrees. I'm going to guess that 45 is more common, because a launch in that direction takes you roughly perpendicular to the coast. 135 degrees would have the shuttle flying roughly parallel to the coast, which might not be safe. Does anyone know the actual launch azimuth? None of the flight plans say anything, which means maybe it's common knowledge, and I just missed it. :lol:

Thanks!

MT
Azimuth will be as always around 42.5°s as all shuttle launches head northeast whenever possible to avoid debris into foreign zones(IE Cuba).

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Houston Chronicle: "Taking a dive with shuttle crew: Astronauts practice landing a 'falling brick'".

Houston Chronicle's/Eric Berger's "SciGuy" Blog: "Taking a ride on the shuttle training aircraft".

Also, the PMM has now joined ELC-4 in the payload canister in the SSPF, ready to go out to the pad!

chan6large.jpg

chan10large.jpg

chan9large.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Per Spaceflight Now's STS-133 Mission Status Center, the payload canister's trip to the pad has been rescheduled, and will now start at 12:01 AM EDT/4:01 AM GMT on Thursday (01/10). The trip will take about four hours.

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2010 at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was 4th Oct 2010 at 07:33 PM ----------

NASASpaceFlight: "Standard, Non-Standard Work, and Procedure Changes Reviewed for STS-133".

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The PMM has now been removed from the canister and is headed bac kto the weight and c.g stand. The reason is due to a issue with the weight and c.g stand that occurred before the PMM was loaded into the canister. The issue have now been fixed so they'll redo the weight and c.g measurements before loading the PMM back into the canister and sending the canister to the Canister Rotation Facility(CRF) for rotation to vertical.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

The new weight and c.g measurements are complete and the PMM is now going back to the canister.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Spaceflight Now: Roomy addition for space station ready to launch:
An Italian-made module that will give the International Space Station a float-in closet and help ease the outpost's storage woes arrived at the launch pad this morning for loading aboard space shuttle Discovery.

NASASpaceFlight: PMM Leonardo: The Final Permanent U.S. Module for the ISS:
Arriving at Pad 39A on Thursday, prior to marking a significant milestone for not only the Space Shuttle/International Space Station Program, but also the U.S. space program in general, the flight of PMM Leonardo – the premiere payload element for Discovery’s final flight – to the ISS will mark the delivery and installation of the final permanent module from the United States for the orbital outpost.

NASA:
{colsp=3}
Payload canister moved to the pad

|
|

|
|

|
|

|
|

|
|

You can find more pictures at KSC Media Gallery.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceFlight: Discovery working payload installation issues – Green light for Agency FRR:
The STS-133 flow has been slightly impacted by a delay relating to a problem with the Payload Ground Handling Mechanism (PGHM) at Pad 39A. However, Discovery remains on track the November 1 launch date, to be approved at the Agency Flight Readiness Review (FRR) – which will take place on October 25, following a “Go” from the SSP FRR this week.
...[/url]

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The RSS is now being rotated back around Discovery for Monday's payload installation.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Spaceflight Now: Discovery's crew takes tank for a spin (PHOTO GALLERY).
You can watch larger versions of those photos in KSC Media Gallery (currently at the first page).

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2010 at 05:38 ---------- Previous post was 14th Oct 2010 at 11:00 ----------

Florida Today - The Flame Trench: Discovery astronauts reflect on vehicle's last mission:
Commander Steve Lindsey, who will ride Discovery for the third time, said the experience is bittersweet.

"It's a privilege to be able to fly that last flight on Discovery, but it's also sad because after that it's retired," he said.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 ----------

Florida Today: Astronauts reflect on Discovery's last flight (no, it isn't the same one as posted above).

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Some NASA TV Videos.

Shuttle Crew Arrives in Florida for Prelaunch Test.​
Shuttle Discovery Crew, Media Meet at Launch Pad.​

----------

SPACE.com: "Last Crew of Space Shuttle Discovery Practices Launch Escape".

NASASpaceFlight: "STS-133: TCDT completed – Engineers troubleshooting leaky flight cap".

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Check out these two very unique images taken aboard the STA (Shuttle Training Aircraft) - one of them actually during either Lindsey's or Boe's practice landings!

2010-5132-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

2010-5135-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

I wonder what will become of these great aircraft post-Shuttle? :shrug:

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com