Submarine simulator

IDNeon

Reaction score
Are there any good submarine simulators where you have to keep to the map and watch your times and it's all first person 3d immersion?

IDNeon

Reaction score
Hmm, but there's no submarine simulator that immerses you in the controls of the sub? Like the helm, the navigation table, the sonar, the dive plane? etc.?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think Silent Hunter IV has a kind of virtual bridge thing going on, but I've never actually played it, so I'm not sure to what depth the actual controlls are simulated. I'd guess it would be a bit tedious too, since you'd have to run around between multiple stations to control the sub...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think Silent Hunter IV has a kind of virtual bridge thing going on, but I've never actually played it, so I'm not sure to what depth the actual controlls are simulated. I'd guess it would be a bit tedious too, since you'd have to run around between multiple stations to control the sub...

Silent Hunter III and IV have virtual stations, but you don't control the ship by them. They are really rather just for immersion. Mostly you play by the map there.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hmm, but there's no submarine simulator that immerses you in the controls of the sub? Like the helm, the navigation table, the sonar, the dive plane? etc.?
Yeah, sort of - IronWolf does this a bit.

Marijn

Reaction score
SHIV broke on my end with some Win10 patch. Otherwise I would still play it. The expansion pack 'Wolves of the Pacific' is the best part. The German Type IX and a later type with a Walter engine are very cool. But for some reason, most vids on Youtube are playing on the Amercian side. The expansion pack comes with a variety of experimental torpedoes. You can set all kinds of parameters to make them zig-zag, turn around and do other freaky stuff.

I should get it to work again.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Dangerous Waters.

Silent Hunter III and IV. Oh, already mentioned. I am late to the party.

Not sure how U-Boat is, what I saw on Youtube didn't really impress me.

Still no game about the exciting civil use of submarines and ROVs. Like building a huge industrial park above an oil field 600m below the surface of the ocean.

rod1185

Reaction score
I think what you're looking for is: Janes 688(I) Hunter/Killer. It sims a Los Angles class, and does run on Windows 10.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think what you're looking for is: Janes 688(I) Hunter/Killer. It sims a Los Angles class, and does run on Windows 10.
Yeah, that is also a good option. That was the precursor to Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure how U-Boat is, what I saw on Youtube didn't really impress me.
U-Boat is more of a sub/crew management game, though it does have FPV and simulates several of the stations.

While I haven't had a chance to try it myself, there's wolfpack which focuses more on multiplayer to crew the submarine.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I used to play "Janes 688(I) Hunter/Killer". This is an absolutely great simulation of a Los Angeles class submarine.

After you get familiar with the boat and did the basic missions, read the book SSN by Tom Clancy and use the mission editor to set up the scenarios described in the book . A lot of shallow-water scenarios around the Spratly islands in the South China Sea, much fun!

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
Shells of Fury 1914 "Под Андреевским Флагом" (there are more submarines in the Russian version of the simulator) World War I submarine fleet

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I used to play "Janes 688(I) Hunter/Killer". This is an absolutely great simulation of a Los Angeles class submarine.
for dangerous waters there is a "reinforce alert" mod that expands the functionality of the simulator (The Los Angeles submarine will not be as fun to play as the imbalance has been removed.)

Last edited: