Tablets for Math and Physics

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I began working on my BS in Physics. With the courses I'm in (Calculus II, Physics I, etc) there is quite a bit of math I need to write out. Instead of working on paper, I might want to switch to a tablet.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations using this kind of technology?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I began working on my BS in Physics. With the courses I'm in (Calculus II, Physics I, etc) there is quite a bit of math I need to write out. Instead of working on paper, I might want to switch to a tablet.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations using this kind of technology?

As far as using a tablet in place of paper, the consensus tends to be that it's just too difficult to write precisely with a stylus. And even then, you're writing on a very small screen and run out of space in a few words. :p
For calculation, I like WolframAlpha. It generally knows what you mean, as long as you aren't ambiguous with order of operations, and it provides detailed steps of how to solve the problem. (limited unless you pay though)

Personally, I have no use for a tablet. I'm in Aerospace Engineering, but regardless, tablets don't appeal to me. I have my laptop and my phone.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
IMHO keeping stacks and stacks of composition books can't be beat. Seriously. You can flip through them to remember stuff or see what you did. I only use notebooks and pen when doing math. Pen keeps you from erasing your mistakes and remember them as well. I'm also a very heavy proponent of going digital when possible,all my recreational reading books are digital,I have a beefy cell phone, tablet,laptop and desktop I use all for different things whenever I can,but I still firmly believe nothing beats notebooks for math, PERIOD. If you're using something else like mathmatica as well, print things out and place the prints in your notebook. I prefer drawing myself. Get a tablet to organize yourself and your schedules, but use paper for scratch paper.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

If you're merely trying to justify the purchasing of a tablet, just buy the dang thing, you'll use it, tablets are awesome, unique and convenient technology

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Stone tablet, or wax tablet?

Both are nice. The wax tablet is erasable as well. (not to mention lighter)

Roman%20wax%20Tab1%20001.JPG

1399231-stone-tablet-with-old-russian-inscription-on-the-white.jpg

sorindafabico

Reaction score
I use mostly paper and books. I use a tablet - only to carry some PDFs and use the internet when studying away from home.

Paper is faster. If you need computers, use some device with a real keyboard (desktop, laptop).

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I'm doing a Maths degree and I use a tablet for all kinds of things. If you get the right kind of app to write into its great for sitting there to do calculations (i use ink sketch....you can zoom in and delete fairly easily). It's like having a portable whiteboard.

BUT there isnt a lot of space to write on and I usually want to do the big long stuff at home.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is a Surface any good?

Consider buying a Surface RT 32 GB for university... my apprentice has one and it is really a good tablet, and from doing a few small tests, it seems to be quite capable for this, the on screen keyboard works well enough for typing for a few hours, though I think there are better text entry devices for touch screens.

Unstung

Reaction score
Inserting mathematical symbols and Greek letters into the tablet must be a pain unless you're writing with a stylus. Also, from my current university experience, most homework and studying involves the use of the internet. Personally, this is not a good thing and makes it much easier to get distracted while working. Not only is having a physical pen or pencil and paper easier to write with, but far less distracting.