IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
When I started to open a net reply to the 'Meet and greet' thread, I got a warning the thread was more than X days old, and not to necropost. Anyway, I am an old space enthusiast, but I have not tried the 'Orbiter' simulator yet. I was working through some old bookmarks, and stumbled across one for this site. After noticing that there is a forum here, and that there have been recent replies to threads, I decided to check it out.

I am not a big gamer, and I have not played many flight simulators, but I love space flight, and miss talking about it. There used to be a forum at Space.com that was superb, but one day it wasn't there anymore.

One thing that surprised me about this site is that it uses 12-hour clock, which I consider to be antiquated and confusing. Especially things like '03:45 PM'. True 24-clock does not involve saying 'Oh' or 'hundred', you just say the number and "o'clock" like you already do. Sure, 13 o'clock sounds weird, but you get used to it. "I'll pick you up at 17," is no different than "I'll pick you up at 6 tomorrow morning." 24 hours in a day; a clock with a hand that goes around once a day, a hand that goes around once an hour, and a hand that goes around once a minute.:thumbup:

:welcome:

Of course we're not dead, we're hibernating at most ;)

You are free to change the clock settings to a 24-h format! You can find this under User CP -> Edit Options.

Elbarbudo

Reaction score
Hello,
I live in France and I am 73 years old

I am an retired software engineer, who likes playing with open-source after years of "closed" systems.
I like classical scifi and fantasy (Asimov and Terry Pratchett)
I am an amateur astronomer and I like photo.

I found this site from the youtube "astronogeek" chain.

Freeman

Reaction score
Hello Everybody. My name's Gediminas, im from one of three baltic states in the east Europe called Lithuania. Im currently 28 years old, and aviation is my second nature. I have university degree in aeronautics engineering, currently working in civilian passenger aircraft maintenance as a mechanic, and fly with a self made trike ultralight (delta winged microlight if you will) on my spare time. Ive been in orbiter for a year or so and i love it, despite some bugs and gliches it has. Nice to meet you all :hello:

ebyrob

Reaction score
Hello, World! From: Robert (not robot)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Robert. I am a computer programmer by trade. I always wanted to write a "solar system simulator" game. I wanted to write first a 2-D then a 3-D version. This interest started in about 2001. Little did I realize it had already been done!!! Now I know. Better late than never.

This appears to be one of the coolest computer programs I have ever seen. I've been able to reach orbit and hover inside the ISS graphic, but I'm still trying to figure out how to dock successfully so I haven't passed the first challenge yet. (I'm not even sure which piece of the ISS to dock with but I'll, hopefully, get there eventually.)

That's all I've got for now. Hope to see you all safely in the asteroid belt someday.

surland

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

my name is Clément, I'm discovering Orbiter. I have just started not long time ago.
I'm realy enjoying it.
I want already to apologize for my english. I'm not native speaker.

TheTorso

Reaction score
Back, after a few years

Hello, world!

Dan here, from Maryland, USA. I am back from an Orbiter hiatus. Kids have a way of keeping you busy. :lol: And I have two. Now they're a little older, and I have a little time to get back into it.

I'm an engineer by training. I have my private pilot's license (though I don't fly anymore). Other than space stuff, I love music and tech stuff.

Looking forward to looking around! :cheers:

lunarcon

Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Hi Everyone! I'm Aditya!
I Love Astronomy, and often stargaze with my telescope. I also love programming, art and design, playing the piano, casual gaming, and reading!
I'm not new to orbiter, and i'm really happy to be here!!

Chyren

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to Orbiter, really glad to have found such a great program, have been able to get to the ISS and the Moon and still trying to get the hang of TransX for interplanetary flights.

RDH

Reaction score
Hello from Houston

Hello everyone. I'm Bob.

I originally got Orbiter back in the old days. 2006? I forget. I found it after my computer stopped working with the old Microsoft Space Simulator.
Then, I stopped playing with Orbiter a few years later. I've recently upgraded my computer and wanted to look into Orbiter again during this pandemic.

My interest comes from the fact I've always loved space flight. In fact, I have worked at the NASA JSC for almost 30 years.
I was in MOD for 15 years, I worked a few shuttle missions as a back room flight controller. As the ISS came on line I started working some increments. I left for a few years and got a Master's degree and then came back to a job in the Engineering Directorate.

I'm trying to learn the details of the orbiter simulator more than I did in the first days I had it.

I've enjoy playing with this, it's fun. I wish I had better knowledge of orbital dynamics, that part of working at JSC was always kind of a black box to me. But I'm getting the impression from the tutorials I've found so far that the rendezvous and prox ops tutorials are not very similar to what NASA does. I've tried to set up V bar and R bar approaches, but the stations don't seem to hold the attitudes they should. Perhaps I need to keep reading, and I'll find it in one of the manuals.
But I'm really having fun with this simulator!
Cheers!

Challenger007

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Alex. I am 29 years old. A year and a half ago, my passion for space began. I do not have my own telescope yet, I have not decided which one is more suitable for me. At this time I am studying various articles about space, the laws of the existence of celestial bodies. I am also interested in developments in the field of rocketry. My dream is the possibility of space travel not only to near-earth orbit, but beyond.

ipninichuck

Reaction score
Wow, it has been awhile.

My name is Ivan and I started using Orbiter back in 2010. I was around for 2016 release but lost touch with things since then. I am now building a career in Cyber Security and helping others learn tech fields. Cannot wait to spend time readjusting and getting to know everyone in this wonderful community.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Wow, it has been awhile.

My name is Ivan and I started using Orbiter back in 2010. I was around for 2016 release but lost touch with things since then. I am now building a career in Cyber Security and helping others learn tech fields. Cannot wait to spend time readjusting and getting to know everyone in this wonderful community.

Welcome back!

JamesNorris

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Alex I am 25 years old I am a naturalist photographer.After landing Perseverance on the surface of Mars, I was very interested in space.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Wow, we have so many people in O-F named Alex(ander)!

DougSpace

Reaction score
I'd like to request that someone simulate Starship-based alternatives to SLS for Artemis. How can I best do that here?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
See the add-ons requests sub-forum, then file a form in 3 copies. Also we have someone actively developping Space-X related stuff, that might actually be the thread you are looking for : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/spacex-superheavy.39783/

You forgot to mention the yellow form for crewed flights. Its necessary because of the purple memo. Also, does he intend to fly to the moon? Entering a new gravity well requires a properly filed permit A38. ?

@DougSpace Now a bit more serious, learning to make your own add-ons and scenarios is 70% of the way to what you want to create, so look in the add-on development forum for getting started. Especially learning how to create your own scenarios, by scenario editor or editing the files in a text editor is an important everyday skill then.