Software terrain height issue

sottaceto

Reaction score
Hello! I've just upgraded to orbiter 2016 and i noticed a problem while landing on the moon. When i'm on the ground the altimeter shows an altitude of -2.5km ( so i'm below the terrain). While passing the zero altitude the landing gear broke up.
Is there a solution? thankyou!

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hello! I've just upgraded to orbiter 2016 and i noticed a problem while landing on the moon. When i'm on the ground the altimeter shows an altitude of -2.5km ( so i'm below the terrain).
Orbiter has two different definitions for "altitude": altitude above ground, or altitude above (or below) the mean radius (something similar to altitude above sea level or barometric altitude on Earth). It looks like the intstrument you are referring to is using the second definition.
While passing the zero altitude the landing gear broke up.
Is there a solution? thankyou!
That sounds like a bug, most likely caused by code not updated for the 2016 version. Which vessel is this?

sottaceto

Reaction score
it gives this error in every scenarios.
For example in Bringhton Beach scenario. The strange thing is that in orbiter 2010 there is no such problem (instruments indicate 0 on the ground). In 2016 instruments indicates -2.56Km.
The problem of the landing gear probably was due to DV4 addon (which i've found out now that is not compatible).

Ps: sorry for possible grammar error (i'm italian)

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Brighton Beach is below mean surface level, so that -2.56km sounds right. Can you include a screen shot showing which MFD is showing the negative altitude?