Gaming TES V: Skyrim discussion thread

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I wish I could find my Morrowind discs... :(
Although, I had the strangest problem in Morrowind, I could never really get into it because of this, it seemed that no matter how much I swung my sword at something, I would never hit it, it was damn annoying. That's why I didn't really get into The Elder Scrolls until Oblivion came out, now that I've got Skyrim preordered it's one of my favourite game series of all time. :p

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it!! Got my copy pre-ordered on Steam. :love:

Same, cant wait for it to get released.

My PC almost meets the minimum requirements, but it won't handle it as well as the PS3. It's not made for gaming at all. Honestly, too many mods/add-ons can ruin a game.

I have to disagree with you in regard to mods. Good Mods can and usually do increase the game play experience, Good examples are the graphics ones for TES:IV. Bad Mods on the other hand.... mostly GOD mods are the worst.

But everyone plays this type of game differently, that is one of the best parts of it. :)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I usually play a heavy armored warrior. Usually Imperial or Breton.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another Mage here, though Oblivion was much less interesting for mages than Morrowind, and Skyrim promises to be even worse. Morrowind let you wear two different gloves, pauldrons, chestplate, greaves, boots, helm, shirt, pants, robe, weapon and shield, all of which were enchantable. I made a Morrowind character "Deathbeard the Orcish God of Piracy" who was literally invincible by the time I finished the game without following the plot at all. Just ran around stealing EVERYTHING and making insane enchantments (the Ring of Power that had the constant effect of healing four points a second, a robe that granted nigh-unlimited flight, a shield that increased jump by 20%, a sword named Death that lived up to its name, a ring named Nuke that burned everything in a radius of fifty metres to death...) and maxing out every major, minor and miscellaneous skill. Without knowing much of the plot, I happened to wander into the final dungeon one day and kick the crap out of the Dagoth Ur with little effort (Timeless quote: "You can't kill a god!" shortly before killing the god who said that.)

Good times. :)

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Another Mage here, though Oblivion was much less interesting for mages than Morrowind, and Skyrim promises to be even worse. Morrowind let you wear two different gloves, pauldrons, chestplate, greaves, boots, helm, shirt, pants, robe, weapon and shield, all of which were enchantable. I made a Morrowind character "Deathbeard the Orcish God of Piracy" who was literally invincible by the time I finished the game without following the plot at all. Just ran around stealing EVERYTHING and making insane enchantments (the Ring of Power that had the constant effect of healing four points a second, a robe that granted nigh-unlimited flight, a shield that increased jump by 20%, a sword named Death that lived up to its name, a ring named Nuke that burned everything in a radius of fifty metres to death...) and maxing out every major, minor and miscellaneous skill. Without knowing much of the plot, I happened to wander into the final dungeon one day and kick the crap out of the Dagoth Ur with little effort (Timeless quote: "You can't kill a god!" shortly before killing the god who said that.)

I have to agree with you about the dumbing down of the armour system. It was a little disappointing in Oblivion where you could equip a helmet, a curaiss, a set of greaves, leggings and a set of boots, the armour system in Morrowind was a lot more expansive and fun to mix and match. And I believe they have said that they are dumbing it down even more in Skyrim, a little sad to hear. :(

Edit: As for the magic system, it sounds to me that they are greatly improving it, what with the dual-wielding etc. :shrug:

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

It turns out you can disable just about all the HUD, including the compass.
Since the EB Games edition comes with the premium cloth map, maybe I'll try navigating with the actual map and not use the compass... :hmm:
challenge_accepted_Amazing_Feats_Fails_WIns_Lolz_and_A_Contest-s325x265-158648-535.png

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I meant enchantment should be even less interesting. Magicka looks like a great improvement over Oblivion. :)

It turns out you can disable just about all the HUD, including the compass.
Since the EB Games edition comes with the premium cloth map, maybe I'll try navigating with the actual map and not use the compass... :hmm:
challenge_accepted_Amazing_Feats_Fails_WIns_Lolz_and_A_Contest-s325x265-158648-535.png
Good to hear. The compass took out much of the fun in Oblivion, telling us exactly where to go all the time. Morrowind required us to wander the island in search of our goals, not make straight lines hither and thither completing the main quest before the end of Hearthfire. :p

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I meant enchantment should be even less interesting. Magicka looks like a great improvement over Oblivion. :)
I never really played Morrowind enough to get into enchanting, what was it like in Morrowind? In Oblivion it took far too long to get access to enchanting equipment IMO.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

Good to hear. The compass took out much of the fun in Oblivion, telling us exactly where to go all the time. Morrowind required us to wander the island in search of our goals, not make straight lines hither and thither completing the main quest before the end of Hearthfire. :p

I wish there was an optopn for the compass. It would have been nice to turn it off when you want a challenge but if you just wanted to play then it would be a pain to not have it.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I wish there was an optopn for the compass. It would have been nice to turn it off when you want a challenge but if you just wanted to play then it would be a pain to not have it.
Which is exactly why TES is better with mods. :rolleyes:

Ark

Reaction score
I'm not going to be standing in line for it, maybe pick it up in a Steam sale or something. I found Morrowind and Oblivion to be buggy, clumsy, and difficult. Had more fun murdering people, stealing their houses and filling them with mountains of loot than I did with actually doing quests and storylines.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I'm not going to be standing in line for it, maybe pick it up in a Steam sale or something. I found Morrowind and Oblivion to be buggy, clumsy, and difficult. Had more fun murdering people, stealing their houses and filling them with mountains of loot than I did with actually doing quests and storylines.
The bugs in Morrowind and Oblivion were because of the frankly terrible engines they used. (The Gamebryo engine was based off of the engine Morrowind was made for, I can't remember what it's called ATM)
Skyrim has a brand new engine.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
The bugs in Morrowind and Oblivion were because of the frankly terrible engines they used. (The Gamebryo engine was based off of the engine Morrowind was made for, I can't remember what it's called ATM)
Skyrim has a brand new engine.

A brand new engine usually just means new bugs.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

It was still fairly easy to get invincible in Oblivion just from enchanted armor--just use Chameleon, the most broken thing in the game. Really, the only way I was able to play the game and have fun with it was to not allow myself to use Chameleon...

I suppose it was a little difficult in caves, if they see you coming that is. ;)
Even if they didn't see me coming, at some point in the levelling curve my initial sneak shot would only do a small amount of their health bar, and the NPC tracking system seemed very buggy--even with invisibility I could never get them to drop aggro so I could get another sneak attack.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I won't be picking it up right away. Need to play thru Uncharted 3 and Modern Warfare 3 first before I get my hands on Skyrim.

I agree that Morrowind has by far been the best in the series to date. I had Oblivion back before I sold my X360 (was the whole reason I bought the 360 actually) and although it was good, it ended up being too easy to 'cheat,' IMO. For example, after you defeated an Oblivion gate, but before you picked up the orb, you could save your game. Then, if you didn't like the weapon/item the orb dropped, you could just keep loading from the save until it dropped something you needed/wanted. When all was said and done, Lord Dagon fell faster than a drunk monkey from a teflon tree.

Nevertheless, I just picked it up again pre-owned for the PS3 to get me by until I can get Skyrim, probably next year sometime.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I agree that Morrowind has by far been the best in the series to date. I had Oblivion back before I sold my X360 (was the whole reason I bought the 360 actually) and although it was good, it ended up being too easy to 'cheat,' IMO. For example, after you defeated an Oblivion gate, but before you picked up the orb, you could save your game. Then, if you didn't like the weapon/item the orb dropped, you could just keep loading from the save until it dropped something you needed/wanted. When all was said and done, Lord Dagon fell faster than a drunk monkey from a teflon tree.
Well, it's fairly easy to "cheat" anyway since you can become invincible without actually doing anything outside the game rules. That's something I never liked...

It's a single player game though, so the cheating doesn't matter and I doubt they're inclined to do anything to stop it.

What a waste, the mods are half the fun.
Agreed, the base game hasn't aged well, but the right mods breathe new life into it.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
What a waste, the mods are half the fun.

Not everyone wants to spend 100+ dollars to beef up their PC just so it can run a 50 dollar game.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Morrowind required us to wander the island in search of our goals, not make straight lines hither and thither completing the main quest before the end of Hearthfire.

Yes, some sort of portable GPS in a fantasy game is a little out of topic :p

You shouldn't even have your position on the map. There is enough sightings in the game not to get lost. And if you get lost, here's really begins the fun IMHO ;)

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, you can have a magic map like the Marauder Map from the Harry Potter novels. :)

Compasses could still be used, and failing that you might need to get enough XP to boost your Ranger/Tracker skills.