Request Texturing Tutorial

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've recently run into a problem with Textures that I can find no way to fix.

I think it would be extrememly helpfull if one of our Advanced Developers wrote a tutorial on the DxTex tool ( creating and applying textures ) and some of the most basic problems encountered when your texture doesn't show up on your model and how to trouble shoot it.

Thanks.:cheers:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I've recently run into a problem with Textures that I can find no way to fix.

I think it would be extrememly helpfull if one of our Advanced Developers wrote a tutorial on the DxTex tool ( creating and applying textures ) and some of the most basic problems encountered when your texture doesn't show up on your model and how to trouble shoot it.

Thanks.:cheers:

Texturing usually takes place when you do the modelling in your favorite modelling software. After it is done, mesh (3D ship) is converted to MSH format using your favorite convertor, and also you convert the textures you used to DDS format. DxTex converts BMP files to DDS only, it is not a texturing tool, just a format convertor.

If you make addons you might need to understand MSH format very well, so you know how it works.

Mesh Wizard manual may help you to get a grip on it.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2740"]Mesh Wizard 1.9d[/ame]

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I swapped out some textures on a model Im working on and for some reason, they simply do not appear. I know the material property is good because 1 out of the 19 does appear. I just cant find any reason or hint in any of the existing tutorials for why they wouldn't. I think I might have to start it from scratch.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Possible reasons:
1.Texture reference inside mesh lost during conversion
2.UV coordinates lost during conversion.
3.Misplaced texture
4.Normals not present (mesh appears as a black shape on Orbiter)
5.Misplaced DDS file
6.Other?