Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm?
Is there anything on the Hubble that can fail in such a fashion?

How they determined that "it can't be closer than 130 light-years"? Maybe a couple of asteroids met somewhere along the line of sight there, in our solar system?

Can it be a constructive interference event somewhere between a camera and the sky?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I am perfectly fine with the observation. Apearing for 100 days and disapearing for another 100 days. Either there is some alien sitting with a flashlight (aka death star), or we have found a new phenomena.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
thats kind of odd, and kind of unerving:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
Hm?

How they determined that "it can't be closer than 130 light-years"? Maybe a couple of asteroids met somewhere along the line of sight there, in our solar system?

Can it be a constructive interference event somewhere between a camera and the sky?

I'm sure there's some sort of range finder on the Hubble that'll tell us how far something is.

Don't worry, it's no where near us. It's not even in our solar system... .Not until Emporer Palpatine gives the order...

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Anyone find any information regarding its spectrum? Approximate black body radiation would be expected for a star or planetlike thing.

Spikes at certain frequencies would be very interesting. Especially if they don't match any known phenomenon.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool video! That ships look much bigger when you have buildings to compare the size.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hm?

They can probably determine the minimum distance from parallax: If less than 130 ly away, there would have been a small but noticeable shift in the objects apparent location compared to the background stars over the hundred days that they were observing it due to the motion of the Earth around the sun. (Basically the same effect as what happens if you close one eye, put your finger up in front of your face, and then switch eyes. The finger appears to "move" relative to the background). Two asteroids colliding in-system would have moved quite noticably across the field of view in 100 days, and any flash from that would have lasted for a much shorter time.

I'm not sure about how they derive their maximum distance estimate.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, if it is heading for us, either it's really slow, or it's not going to come. At the short end of the scle, this happened atleast 130 years ago remember c?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Maybe its a comet that made it into slip-space...

Happened to me on Orbiter. Somehow, 10000x time warp doesn't mix well with 125.6 Engine power. Somehow I ended up with what might be the record for farthest out on any orbiter guy.

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Is 100 days enough time to do parallax measurements? Don't you have to have like 6 months b/w measurements to see how the thing looks from two opposite points on the Earth's orbit?

Ok. I suppose its possible to find the parallax along a chord in the Earth's orbit connecting the points corresponding to the 100-day period. Am I right?

Rotareneg

Reaction score
I'm not sure about how they derive their maximum distance estimate.

By the lack of hydrogen adsorption in the spectrum. If it was really far away, hydrogen floating around between the galaxies will leave its mark on the spectrum.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How many frames of it had been recorded?